Free 1 day PSN Extension *** WARNING ***

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I figured I would post just in case.

For the recent outage, we are getting a 1 day PSN extension.. But be warned that this will re-enable Auto-Renew, so that when your PSN expires, you will automatically subscribe again at full price!

So make sure you turn it off.

The cynic in my can't help thinking this is a bit of a con.. How many people will end up "auto renewing" because of this "free" 1 day extension??

Considering the millions of subscribers. There is a chance, that some people will actually apply the extension and then hit the auto-renew date in the seconds/minutes before they get chance to turn it off.

Hope this helps

Jon

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Yeah the one day extension was posted in the PSN outage thread just below.

Can auto renew all it wants. When I've no payment method on my account they're getting nowt out of me :)

At least pointing this out should remind those who forget to sort their admin out.

Yeah the one day extension was posted in the PSN outage thread just below.

Can auto renew all it wants. When I've no payment method on my account they're getting nowt out of me :)

At least pointing this out should remind those who forget to sort their admin out.
I don't have a payment method.. But I do have £100 of vouchers in my account.. So they would take it from that which would be even worse.

I am sure the majority of people have some "credit" in their account which is why this is so dangerous.

Stinja

Ultimately it's best practice to check your auto-renew any time you submit a new PSN addition, and if an update lists any changes to that area.

Likewise i always check before my year comes to an end, to see if it's going to auto-renew or not.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
WHAT!

Thats shocking!

My autorenew is turned off, so if i did nothing my PSN will renew, even tho ive set it not to!

Just removed my payment method just incase.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
WHAT!

Thats shocking!

My autorenew is turned off, so if i did nothing my PSN will renew, even tho ive set it not to!

Just removed my payment method just incase.
Well if you did nothing then it shouldn't renew, but if you did something, as in redeem the code, then best just to check it's still off.

Or similarly if you're close to renewal time (set it as a reminder on your phone, pin it on the fridge, repeat the renewal date every day for the next week, all incase your brain can't handle an extra date to remember :)), then just pop on and check it's still set to off.

Or as most people do, leave no payment details on your account.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I just dont use my PS4 at all these days, so dont want to renew PSN+

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Am I the only one not bothering to redeem the code?, a one day extension isn't worth the effort of going to the website and tapping it in. If they really wanted to give us an extension then just automatically amend the date we are all subbed to.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Redeemed the code yesterday evening because I had a moment on the PS4 and my phone open, just checked my account and Auto Renew is still OFF.
I don't have any payment details stored.
WHHHAAAATTTT

Quick turn it on and kick off!!!!

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Am I the only one not bothering to redeem the code?, a one day extension isn't worth the effort of going to the website and tapping it in. If they really wanted to give us an extension then just automatically amend the date we are all subbed to.
Copy and paste [emoji4]

I did it, takes seconds to do. Defiantly should have just extended it automatically.

Demon Luci

Distinguished Member
Yeah - when I first heard we were getting an extra day I just assumed it would simply be added to our existing subscription.

I was a bit surprised about having to enter a code to get it. It does make one a bit cynical about the reason...

AMc

Distinguished Member
I'd hazard a guess that it's a system restriction that prevents them simply typing "Alllusers ++expiryDate"

Given how legendary Sony's IT can be we'd all end up with our PSN expiring last year ;)
A cynic would also suggest that making the gesture prevents too much bad feeling and any ludicrous class action in the US while lowering the number of people actually bothered enough to claim it. Now I realise it was worth 10p I feel cheap having bothered :D

1 day of PSN to a user is nothing - 1 day of free PSN use to all PSN users is a significant amount of revenue to Sony e.g. at £36 is about 10p per user per day so 10p x all PSN users of "lost" revenue + all the bad publicity about the outage ...

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Redeemed the code yesterday evening because I had a moment on the PS4 and my phone open, just checked my account and Auto Renew is still OFF.
I don't have any payment details stored.
Did likewise today. Funnily enough auto renew is still off for me as well
not that it matters as I have no payment method on my account anyway.

odd1ne

I kinda forgot about this and I just realised I never got a code even though I am an active PS+ member? One day means F all anyway but still I feel left out :blush:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I know this is not the correct thread as such but I could not find the relevant thread.

So I just got an Mail with a Subscription Payment Failure due to insufficient funds. I purchased 3 months of PSN a while back and made sure I set Auto Renew Off as I always do. I did receive a 1 day extension but never redeemed it
So have Sony tried to take a payment even though I had Auto Renew Turned off, thankfully I had no credit in my account apart from a few ££ but has anyone else had this recently ?

I just double checked and I have the settings to NO so why would I get this email or am I missing another option somewhere in my account for Auto Renew ?

zt1903

Distinguished Member
I know this is not the correct thread as such but I could not find the relevant thread.

So I just got an Mail with a Subscription Payment Failure due to insufficient funds. I purchased 3 months of PSN a while back and made sure I set Auto Renew Off as I always do. I did receive a 1 day extension but never redeemed it
So have Sony tried to take a payment even though I had Auto Renew Turned off, thankfully I had no credit in my account apart from a few ££ but has anyone else had this recently ?

I just double checked and I have the settings to NO so why would I get this email or am I missing another option somewhere in my account for Auto Renew ?
I don't think you've missed a setting. Sounds like an error and is worth querying with support.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
1 day redeem code - saving me, well nothing as I will always be paid up while I want the service and probably for a portion of a year more than I do. To me it has zero value.

Having said that switching to auto renew is not on, especially as SONY seem to take a hard line on refunds

mozza54

I got caught out by this one, they renewed my PSN for 3 months and took it from the Wallet balance I had at the time. Raised it with PSN Customer support who where absolute rubbish.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton