Freaky Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I saw the trailer for this when I went to see A Quiet Place 2, and I thought what in God's name is this?! :laugh:

But by the end it actually looked like it might be quite fun. And clearly not too shabby going by your review, so will definitely now have a look.

I have a love hate relationship with Vince Vaughn.

A theatrical release eh? How old school. I shall wait for it to stream somewhere, there's no way I'm going anywhere near a cinema for a very, very long time.

Interesting that it references Candyman. I watched that one for the first time ever a few days ago and I thought it was borderline terrible. Visually it looked by a low budget TV movie, and the plot was virtually non existent. And the bizarre processed voice of the candyman just sounded ridiculous.

It had none of the nostalgic charm of 80s slashers, it just felt cheap and uninspired.

Yes, it might be the usual Blumhouse low budget horror-comedy, but I'd be lying if this was a massive sugar rush of everything I love about slasher films. Newton and Vaughn have clearly put the rehearsal time to good use to create two distinct performances, it's beautifully shot by Ben Wheatley's (!) regular DOP Laurie Rose and the direction never allows the concept to tilt to heavy into either comedy or horror. The scene in the back seat of a car would be mess in a lesser director's hands. It's not perfect, but what slasher is? Well... Halloween '78 and Candyman, but they are stone cold classics (sorry @Kotatsu Neko ).

So much wrongness in one post.

Looking forward to this. Nothing wrong with going to the cinema. I've been twice recently, Spiral and Peter Rabbit 2, and I didn't come to any har........ dies

I enjoyed the hell out of this. I watched this not knowing anything(didn't see any trailers) which made this better.

I'm to the point where I am just am going to stop watching trailers all together for most things. There is nothing better than going in fresh and you get surprised in the plot.

Last edited:
Got in digitally from US a few months ago, a strong 7.5 out of 10. No classic but great fun and Vine Vaughan is so good. Happy Death Days X2 are well worth a watch too.

Best thing about this was Cameron from Ferris Bueller showing his nasty streak.

Just got back from seeing this. Certainly a lot of fun. Vince Vaughn can be great when playing the bad guy so it was nice to see him get to play both sides of the coin in one film. It’s worth seeing the film purely for Vince Vaughn, I wasn’t really interested in any of the other characters. Vaughn is both hilarious and scary.

Last edited:
Just got home after seeing this at Cineworld. I thought it was great fun and really enjoyed it.

Another vote from me. Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well-paced from start to finish. Vince Vaughn's performance was both funny and bizarrely convincing. Could've done with a few more silly deaths, but otherwise a great comedy teen slasher.

Very good film, some genuinely laugh out loud moments, 7/10.

After such a long wait I was quite disappointed. Vaughn does a good job but the rest is pretty lame. All the best bits were in trailer. 4/10

I'll watch this just for Vince Vaughn given how many mentions his performance is getting here.

i've always despised his brash, motormouth shtick, but he was so damn good in Hacksaw Ridge that I'm eager to have my opinion completely re-assessed...

I'll watch this just for Vince Vaughn given how many mentions his performance is getting here.

i've always despised his brash, motormouth shtick, but he was so damn good in Hacksaw Ridge that I'm eager to have my opinion completely re-assessed...

Have you seen Brawl In Cell Block 99? A powerhouse (in more ways than one) Vaughan performance and an ultraviolent take on the exploitation prison/action movie genre.

Have you seen Brawl In Cell Block 99? A powerhouse (in more ways than one) Vaughan performance and an ultraviolent take on the exploitation prison/action movie genre.
Yes! I had a niggling feeling there was something else he'd done that I'd loved. Thank you!

Cracking film is that. I thought his 'hard man' shtick was going to be awful, but he was totally convincing.

Yes! I had a niggling feeling there was something else he'd done that I'd loved. Thank you!

Cracking film is that. I thought his 'hard man' shtick was going to be awful, but he was totally convincing.

Vaughan has definitely re-invented himself in recent years away from the Dodgeball/Wedding Crashers schtick that he had become typecast in or seem to have settled for. I haven’t watched Hacksaw Ridge yet but there appears to have been a shift towards more challenging/serious material, e.g. True Detective, Dragged Across Concrete (his follow up film reteaming with the director of Cell Block 99).

I dont get the love from reviewers for this. Good performances sure but very average movie

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom