Frankie Say: Greatest

soundstory

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Some of you may have been aware that there is some "new" Frankie Goes To Hollywood releases up & coming.

Here are the details:

Frankie Say Greatest - in either 1CD or 2CD

Disc 1

01)Relax
02)Two Tribes
03)Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Escape Act Video Mix)
04)War
05) The Power Of Love
06)Ferry Cross The Mersey
07)Is There Anybody Out There
08)Tag
09) Born To Run
10)Rage Hard
11)Warriors Of the Wasteland
12)Watching The Wildlife
13)Happy Hi
14)The Waves
15)Relax (Chicane Radio Edit)
16)Two Tribes (Hibauska)
17)Relax (Lockout)

Disc 2

18)Relax (Sex Mix)
19)Two Tribes (Annihilation)
20)War (Hidden)
21)Welcome To The Pleasuredome
22)Rage Hard (Freddie Bastone Remix)
23)Watching The Wildlife (Hotter)
24)Relax (Scott Stoch)
25)Suffragette City
26)Our Silver Turns To Gold
27)Get It On

Well it's a bit of a strange one this one, we have the usual suspects, two unreleased tracks (but well known to Frankie fans).

A couple of the new mixes included too.

No mention of being remastered & no detail of the dvd at present

Be curious to get feedback from others............

i thought there was going to be more rarer stuff on it

there's also a promo of new remixes of relax

chicane radio edit 3.55
jody den broden radio mix 3.47
jody den broden club mix 7.39
jody den broden dub mix 5.39
LMC remix 5.18
lockout radio edit 3.31
lockout london mix 5.15
spencer & hill radio edit 3.21
spencer & hill remix 5.40
scott storch mix 3.45

the new remixes are similar to the last lot of remixes, just house/techno dance mixes, nothing exciting

i have every official fgth track, including all the remixes. i have a ton of crappy unnofficial remixes too. i was looking forward to a better compilation of rarer stuff

i thought there was going to be more rarer stuff on it

there's also a promo of new remixes of relax

chicane radio edit 3.55
jody den broden radio mix 3.47
jody den broden club mix 7.39
jody den broden dub mix 5.39
LMC remix 5.18
lockout radio edit 3.31
lockout london mix 5.15
spencer & hill radio edit 3.21
spencer & hill remix 5.40
scott storch mix 3.45

the new remixes are similar to the last lot of remixes, just house/techno dance mixes, nothing exciting

i have every official fgth track, including all the remixes. i have a ton of crappy unnofficial remixes too. i was looking forward to a better compilation of rarer stuff

Yes I agree 100%

This compilation can't decide whether it wants to be for the casual fan or the hardcore fan.

My thoughts.

0) The cover is AWFUL, shouldn't matter had it not been the case that the ZTT releases tokk a lot ot care on the presentation

02) Why is the Hibauska mix of Two Tribes on the first (and single) disc?, when the Annihilation mix is relegated to CD2?

03) Is Relax going to be the usual version off of the LP or is it going to finally be the original 7"?

04) Why include Is There Anybody Out There from Liverpool?, seems a strange choice when we could have had Lunar Bay or Kill The Pain?

05) Are these remastered??, I think I know the answer.........

Anyway, Welcome To The Pleasuredome is being reissued next month, no extras just a standard disc

Union Square have said that they intend to reissue all the ZTT back cat next year, though to be honest, I don't hold much faith in the end result.

It's Warner Brothers hear we go again...........

i've not seen the cover, i've seen the website with the countdown though. i presumed it would be something like that

what would have been nice is a compilation of the original 12" versions over two discs, with some of the rarer versions, rather than more new remixes

btw there are two different cd's of welcome to the pleasuredome, both have different tracks missing to fit on one disc

there's nothing on the compilation that i don't already have, they could have put more of the demos or really rare stuff on the second disc

i didn't know the rest of the ztt stuff was coming out. the hoodlum priest first album was interesting. i had all the ztt stuff to a point a long time ago, but some of it just became too avant garde

Well apparently next year there will be a double WTPD CD & possibly one for Liverpool (not really an album that I've ever cared for).

Really all I need is a complete set of cd singles along the lines of the Duran Duran singles boxsets.

There are of course quite a few tracks that have never made it onto cd, amongst I'm thinking the b-sides of the second 12"inch of Power of Love, the Starfix & Pleasure fix versions etc.

& of course of the original 7 inch of relax (only available on the expensive Japanese box set from this year)

& then of course there is Propaganda........

that is a bad cover

yeah, the pleasurefix etc mixes from the gatefold POL 12" would be nice on cd. it's hard to keep track of everything as you get slightly differrent versions on the cassette singles and cd singles. relax, two tribes and power of love cassettes were edited together like a mixtape, the rage hard cd was similar, and the 7"s had different mixes, two 7"s of rage hard, was it a 10" or picture disc of pleasuredome that had a different mix to the 12", etc etc

it's a shame they waste space on the cds with the "new" remixes and putting the same old stuff on instead of some of the mixes that hadn't been on cd before. you have the great live tube version of born to run from the ZTT sampler LP, the MSG live version of two tribes and the live version of relax from the cassette that came with the computer game

propaganda didn't have quite as many remixes but i think they put most if not all of them on cd a while back

i think they put all the videos on the last frankie dvd, so i don't know what else they could put on a new one. perhaps the original video for relax with the pre trevor horn demo version and some clips from the tube, TOTP and other tv shows would be nice

i met nash a couple of years ago, the friend i was with used to hang out with the band back in their hey day and watch them rehearse, so she recognised him in the bar and we hung out for a bit before losing them on the way to the next bar. he was wanting to write a memoir/book but couldn't remember most of what they did :D so asked my friend to help him remember stuff. frankie reformed for abit without him and holly, but he is still in touch with him (no, he didn't die of aids!). there has been on and off talk of them reforming, but i think holly isn't interested. if spandua ballet and ABC can do it, so can they, but i wouldn't expect much from a new album. apparently the rest of the band were working on one. i dread to imagine how bad it would be. liverpool was a major dissapointment after pleasuredome

They should've done it in some form of 5.1 too.

Was looking at this at the weekend and as suspected I have pretty much all of it already, even looking at the 2 discer.
However has anyone seen the Itunes version???
It adds covers of Do You Think I'm Sexy and Every Kind Of People :eek:
The first appears to be Hollyless and the second more a redundant Holly solo outtake.
I've only listened to the 30second sample but that's enough. Thank god they never made a 3rd album if that was where they were headed :D

Was looking at this at the weekend and as suspected I have pretty much all of it already, even looking at the 2 discer.
However has anyone seen the Itunes version???
It adds covers of Do You Think I'm Sexy and Every Kind Of People :eek:
The first appears to be Hollyless and the second more a redundant Holly solo outtake.
I've only listened to the 30second sample but that's enough. Thank god they never made a 3rd album if that was where they were headed :D

i never knew about this, but if it was hollyless then it would be nashless too, so it's just half the original band with another singer. mind there is the rumour that the blockheads played on the first album as fgth couldn't play, so it may well have the most fgth input of any album :D

i never knew about this, but if it was hollyless then it would be nashless too, so it's just half the original band with another singer. mind there is the rumour that the blockheads played on the first album as fgth couldn't play, so it may well have the most fgth input of any album :D

My understanding of the Blockheads contribution was that their bassplayer provided the original bassline to Relax, however it was a sample of the first couple of beats of Talking Heads (Burning Down The House I think) that was used for the New York Mix.

Also there was a session take with the Blockheads, but this proved unsatisfactory.

that is a bad cover

yeah, the pleasurefix etc mixes from the gatefold POL 12" would be nice on cd. it's hard to keep track of everything as you get slightly differrent versions on the cassette singles and cd singles. relax, two tribes and power of love cassettes were edited together like a mixtape, the rage hard cd was similar, and the 7"s had different mixes, two 7"s of rage hard, was it a 10" or picture disc of pleasuredome that had a different mix to the 12", etc etc

it's a shame they waste space on the cds with the "new" remixes and putting the same old stuff on instead of some of the mixes that hadn't been on cd before. you have the great live tube version of born to run from the ZTT sampler LP, the MSG live version of two tribes and the live version of relax from the cassette that came with the computer game

propaganda didn't have quite as many remixes but i think they put most if not all of them on cd a while back

i think they put all the videos on the last frankie dvd, so i don't know what else they could put on a new one. perhaps the original video for relax with the pre trevor horn demo version and some clips from the tube, TOTP and other tv shows would be nice

i met nash a couple of years ago, the friend i was with used to hang out with the band back in their hey day and watch them rehearse, so she recognised him in the bar and we hung out for a bit before losing them on the way to the next bar. he was wanting to write a memoir/book but couldn't remember most of what they did :D so asked my friend to help him remember stuff. frankie reformed for abit without him and holly, but he is still in touch with him (no, he didn't die of aids!). there has been on and off talk of them reforming, but i think holly isn't interested. if spandua ballet and ABC can do it, so can they, but i wouldn't expect much from a new album. apparently the rest of the band were working on one. i dread to imagine how bad it would be. liverpool was a major dissapointment after pleasuredome

Propaganda did indeed include the majority of mixes on Outside World,

However the few tracks were mastered from VINYL, I kid you not.

Also the UK & German versions have differences, but that's for another thread!

The only thing that the Hard On dvd missed is the the full length "Destructo" version of Two Tribes, choosing to use the edited version instead.

It was the second 12" of WTTP that had another mix "Fruitness", the sleeve had a bowl of fruit on it. It had Geffrey Palmer doing the narration, fab stuff!

Actually, now I think about it, it was Psycho Killer

i've never noticed that. i presume you mean the US sex mix, the 8 minute most common 12", and not the original 16 minute sex mix (i'm sure both of the original UK 12"s had similar titling on the label with the same mix name, but you could tell as the longer mix ran at 33 rpm and the 8 min at 45 rpm). i think the original US import 12" had a different cover with chequeboard design on part of it

the original cassette single had a "edit" of the two mixes sliced together, but not in a particularly good way, not that the tape was crap by any means. i was listening to the old cassette and cd singles the other week. there were also other cassettes that were the same as the normal 12" with the 8 min sex mix, and same for two tribes i think

i've never noticed that. i presume you mean the US sex mix, the 8 minute most common 12", and not the original 16 minute sex mix (i'm sure both of the original UK 12"s had similar titling on the label with the same mix name, but you could tell as the longer mix ran at 33 rpm and the 8 min at 45 rpm). i think the original US import 12" had a different cover with chequeboard design on part of it

the original cassette single had a "edit" of the two mixes sliced together, but not in a particularly good way, not that the tape was crap by any means. i was listening to the old cassette and cd singles the other week. there were also other cassettes that were the same as the normal 12" with the 8 min sex mix, and same for two tribes i think

Hi Unique.

There were 3 mixes in total (here we go....!)

The Sex Mix (16:24) ]

New York Mix (8:20) (edit of the sex mix, not available on cd, apart from a "in the mix" comp called 80's nightclub, according to the listing, though maybe incorrect)

US Mix (7.20) often listed wrongly as New York Mix.

You were talkibng about the cassette singles, I loved them too, a mate "remastered" them a few years back, still sound great!.

Paul

Hi Unique.

There were 3 mixes in total (here we go....!)

The Sex Mix (16:24) ]

New York Mix (8:20) (edit of the sex mix, not available on cd, apart from a "in the mix" comp called 80's nightclub, according to the listing, though maybe incorrect)

US Mix (7.20) often listed wrongly as New York Mix.

You were talkibng about the cassette singles, I loved them too, a mate "remastered" them a few years back, still sound great!.

Paul

so the US mix 7.20 is the most well known 12" version, and the new york mix is just a cut down version of the 16 min sex mix. what was that available on then? i guess it's edited in the same was as the 16 min sex mix is cut down on the cassette single? i seem to have the US mix labelled as the new york mix, thus the confusion

the cassette has...

the party trick 0.36m
the special act (adapted from the sex mix) 7.45
new york mix 7.25
the us mix (come dancing) 4.36
the single (the act) 3.55

i think that,s an edited version of the us mix 7.20m 12"

Holly Johnson picked up a prize at the Q Awards two weeks ago, an award celebrating the 25th anniversary of his landmark single 'Relax' from his old group Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

A pretty out-of-the-ordinary experience for the quietly-spoken Johnson, who by his own admission usually avoids these kind of back-slapping industry events.

'Relax' was arguably the biggest pop song of 1984 in the UK -- despite being banned by the BBC's Radio 1 for its sexually provocative lyrics. It's believed to have sold at least 1.9m copies in the UK alone that year.

Johnson tells Spinner, amid the clatter of a west London cafe near his house, the last time he accepted an award for the song, he got himself in trouble with one of the biggest stars of the 1980s...

"The last time I picked up the award for 'Relax' was at the BPI Awards in 1985, which later became the Brit Awards, and we got the BBC Radio 1 Listener's Award, even though they weren't able to listen to it. And it was the only award voted by the public. I think we also got best band that year," he says.

"I had to hand out an award to Prince for Best International Act, but I ended up offending Prince. At the time, the Village People had just released a record, and that had been banned, strangely.

"I said, 'I've never met this guy, but we've had sex over the phone.' That was the title of the Village People track, and it was my attempt at humour. But obviously Prince's face on the big screen dropped a million miles, and his big bodyguard came walking towards me. He wasn't best pleased. He felt he'd been treated with utmost disrespect."

Twenty-five years on, Spinner can report Johnson is suitably contrite. "I do apologise, Prince. It was never my intention to offend you in any way."

Holly Johnson Insulted Prince With Phone Sex Gag - Spinner UK

so the US mix 7.20 is the most well known 12" version, and the new york mix is just a cut down version of the 16 min sex mix. what was that available on then? i guess it's edited in the same was as the 16 min sex mix is cut down on the cassette single? i seem to have the US mix labelled as the new york mix, thus the confusion

the cassette has...

the party trick 0.36m
the special act (adapted from the sex mix) 7.45
new york mix 7.25
the us mix (come dancing) 4.36
the single (the act) 3.55

i think that,s an edited version of the us mix 7.20m 12"

Yes that's right on all accounts.

Phew ZTT !!

Due to artwork sign-off and production issues, Welcome To The Pleasuredome - Deluxe has now been put back to April 10th.

Hi there - where have you seen the Rage Hard SACD for a reasonable price?

I've heard of profiteering, but this is ridiculous!

Thanks, guys!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom