Frankie Bolyle's Tramadol Nights

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Did anyone else have the misfortune to watch the first episode of this? I thought it was some of the worst television I've seen in some time. It was billed as hilarious sketches... they must have seen a different program to the one I watched!!

IAN P

Novice Member
I've had a few Tramadol nights. Very effective.:D

Can't abide Boyle. Still, he has a fanbase I spose'.

redcat1

i watched his latest stand up dvd last week and all his material he did on stage in tramadol nights is from that. So if anyone was thinking of getting his dvd for xmas, you may wanna give this a miss.

PocketBunny

I tend to enjoy Frankie Boyle's material, but do find an entire stand up show by him a little hard to endure. So i went into watching this show thinking it may be perfect for me.

Now what i learned from watching the show, is that Frankie is not a sketch show comedian, his jokes tend to be hard hitting one liners and that is what he is good at. Secondly, i learned that this show is not worth my time, hugely disappointed with it.

Jenn

Novice Member
Thank God it's not just me!

I used to love him on Mock the Week and was looking forward to his own show when I heard about it.
The 1st episode I struggled to go through it was so boring and not funny.

I'm still not sure if I'll try the 2nd episode just to make sure.

TonyA

The Knight Rider sketch was overly long, and totally unfunny.

One of the only sketches that I thought was funny was the Iranian Loose Women sketch.

Will watch a few more but so far not impressed!

Last edited:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm going to give it one more episode but I don't hold out much hope.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I found some of the stand up material funny but the sketches were terrible. I didn't get to the end of the show and I'm unlikely to give it another go if only because the wife hated it.

Bri

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Thank God it's not just me!

I used to love him on Mock the Week and was looking forward to his own show when I heard about it.
The 1st episode I struggled to go through it was so boring and not funny.

I'm still not sure if I'll try the 2nd episode just to make sure.
:smashin: My thoughts exactly. I wont be watching this again as I want that half hour of my life back as it is!

He was great as part of Mock the Week.

liked some of it. that is all.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
I found some of the stand up material funny but the sketches were terrible. I didn't get to the end of the show and I'm unlikely to give it another go if only because the wife hated it.

Bri
I havent found a program like this format where that isnt true, they're stand up comedians they should just stick to what they can do.

bwfc09

Was he joking?

Bri
hard to tell he said he hoped it didnt come back on and told everyone what happens on it all. his stand up from the live show tonight was the same stand up from this weeks (just watched it) and last weeks tramadol nights to

little dissapointed

bwfc09

he was very funny live to but i thought he was going more for shock value than comedy especially his jokes of "baby P" coming back as a zombie

Steven

Senior Moderator
That's always been his style. On Mock the Week he was always straining at the leash until the BBC saw fit to cut loose and protect us all

bwfc09

yeah he had a part if the show where he had a clip board and read out all the jokes he couldnt say or got cut out of mock the week

Jenn

Novice Member
Well I watched last night's episode (what can I say, I must have some masochist tendencies).

To be fair I found it to be not as bad as the first one but I still struggled to raise a smile at any of the jokes.
I know he usually has shocking humour but literally every joke I thought "hmm, it would be funny if it wasn't too far". I didn't appreciate children being involved to be honest.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I watched again and thought the same as Jenn. I normally like his stuff (even the over the top jokes) but something's not quite right with this. The sketches were absolutely crap again. I don't think I'll be watching this again.

neroon

The Knight Rider sketch was overly long, and totally unfunny.

One of the only sketches that I thought was funny was the Iranian Loose Women sketch.

Will watch a few more but so far not impressed!
I agree I didn't like that sketch but overall I found that the show was quite good on the whole, not great but one of the funnier things on TV at the moment.

I also enjoyed last night's episode having plenty of laughs.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I watched the first episode by fast forwarding the sketches, this time round I did watch them and yes, didn't feel comfortable with kids being involved in the show.

I also don't like his immediate pop at the audience, it feels very forced. I've seen it done so much better else where.

But with all that said, he does raise a guilty laugh every so often and I'll probably watch more.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton