Franchise fatigue setting in?

Are you getting bored of Call Of Duty?

• Total voters

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive found myself drifting away from Call Of Duty recently, i played alot of COD4 & MW2 and Black Ops just hasnt grabbed me in the same way, part of it is some of the changes and the poor netcode but i honestly think a big part is franchise fatigue kicking in.

Around this time when WAW came out i had a nice long break puting down COD for several months. Im thinking the same is about to happen even though ive gone back to MW2 recently. Only problem is im not sure ill ever pick it back up again the way the franchise is heading.

Just wondered if i was the only one feeling the fatigue set in?

I chose the last option, but a few days ago it may have been the first. However, this week on MW2 has been superb. No lag at all, plenty of 1337 quickscoperzzzz making it easy for me to kill them and a few of my mates have joined me in coming back to it so it's been all good. Real dearth of whiny voiced teens as well as some genuinely decent randoms joining in the banter. Long may it continue!

I've had franchise fatigue since COD4, but it only kicks in after the 6 month mark.

Played each cod less and less.

I literally played MW2 half the time i did in COD4.

most definitely mate. i was gonna post something similar myself, but i would have most likely been chased off with fires and pitchforks. :laugh:

In recent times i have over-played all COD games, and that's my own fault i will admit. However i think the franchise is stumbling toward a final hurdle in it's current guise. it's still a really good franchise, but something has to change now. The very fact that you have posted this thread suggests a similar sentiment is beginning to run through the community.

BOps is a great game and they (COD4, MW2 etc) will always be great games to play en masse with friends etc, but that's about all for me now. I definitely want to see some changes in the entire FPS market in coming times, and COD is perfectly placed to lead the way; such is it's loyal fanbase.

"Yes - Black Ops helped for a while; but getting bored already"

I've not played MP for about 1 and a half weeks, just been playing zombies tbh. I can never get bored of that game mode no matter how frustrating randoms can be. I can't really fault the game despite its flaws, it is the online community which has turned COD into drivel.

I can't really fault the game despite its flaws, it is the online community which has turned COD into drivel.

I think you`ve hit the nail on the head. I`m starting to have doubts about Black Ops too. Finding a game of FFA now seems to take forever and I`m constantly ending up in games of FFA with just 2 or 3 other players. I`ve defended the game staunchly but even I`m beginning to ask why I`m bothering. If I had WAW and saw enough people playing it online still I think I`d go back to it. Part of me is tempted to give MW2 a bash but I know the first time I end up in a lobby with a load of quickscopers I`ll put my fist through the screen. I need to keep myself busy until TDU2 comes out. That`ll keep me going for months.

I was excited when Blops came out. Played it and have had some great games with peeps on here and that's about all that keeps me with Blops. MW2 was addictive and I can see myself going back to it pretty soon. My interest has died off with Blops. And I would have never of thought that would have happened with the COD games.

Yep, string me up for admitting this but I miss the killstreaks. I want my Harriers back, my chopper gunner, even my M4A1 peashooter that could countersnipe. I miss them all. :thumbsup:

I voted : Bored, but Blops helped for a while.

I think maybe I'm just getting too old for this !

What I demand/expect in the future :

1) Larger games ( bigger maps, more players )
Instead of choosing different maps to play on why not have huge maps where you battle in different locations

2) I want an amazing blend of Battlefield and COD

3) I want to see players on the same maps at the same time given different objectives at the start of the game...

Players 1-4 ( Defend A )
Players 5-8 ( Destroy bridges to prevent armoured support to A )
Players 9-10 ( wildcards, get kills and provide support in the area of squad 1 )
Players 11-16 ( steal intel from base Y and return with it )
Players 17-20 ( Deathmatch ! - find anyone and kill 'em ! )
etc....

4) Persistent player models RPG style - you build up your player and make your choices, including phyiscal attributes ( strength, speed stamina - Fifa Style ) and loadouts / stuff you've bought - Fallout/Elder scrolls style !

5) All this needs to be drop in / out with super matchmaking on amazing dedicated servers. !!

6) What the hell lets have some command and conquer style 'commander' who can build bases and factories - see an overview and create vehicles and stuff.

Hmmmmm- basically I just want ALL developers to stop what they're doing and work on one big super-game - is it really too much to ask....

....and I need it in time for christmas.....

.....and I'd like the special edition to come with some whiskey and bacon fries....

..I'm done.

GVP have you tried MAG?

definately setting in, think it would of been ok if the netcode to bops was upto scratch, as it is it feels like just a chore playing it most of the time. i actually wish i could reset my MW2 prestige rank and start again from scratch on that. the social side of cod i think is what keeps most of us going back to it

i have even thought of giving Battlefield another go shhhhh

Ive found myself drifting away from Call Of Duty recently, i played alot of COD4 & MW2 and Black Ops just hasnt grabbed me in the same way, part of it is some of the changes and the poor netcode but i honestly think a big part is franchise fatigue kicking in.

Around this time when WAW came out i had a nice long break puting down COD for several months. Im thinking the same is about to happen even though ive gone back to MW2 recently. Only problem is im not sure ill ever pick it back up again the way the franchise is heading.

Just wondered if i was the only one feeling the fatigue set in?

I don't necessarily think it's fatigue with the COD franchise, it's more that Treyarch simply cannot produce a game with the same appeal as IW, as is clear from the gaps where you've taken a break (and why you're posting this now, it seems). Yes there are loads of people who love Treyarch for the things they bring to the COD series, but the facts are indisputable. You can quote BOps sales figures in an attempt to rebut this, but it's obvious that the sales were only so high because of MW2's success. The average guy on the street knows **** all about developers, he just thinks "MW2 was amazing, I want the next one because that's bound to be even better". However I don't think Black Ops will have the lasting appeal that MW2 had. The fatigue will therefore either be temporary, until Sledgehammer or the rejigged IW bring out something excellent running on MW2's engine (or a tweaked version), or will be permanent because the magic has left the COD series with the departure of the key IW staff. It's in case of the latter that I am watching keenly for an announcement from Respawn Entertainment.

Last edited:
Just make Battlefield but get Frostbite running at 60fps @720p native. Then stir in some dedicated servers and bring back the 64 vs. 64 player games from BF1942.

COD is just too basic and isn't evolving. Core gameplay is stale. A series of numerous 1 v 1 encounters where gun choice, perks, and reaction play second fiddle to connection and dodgy anti lag technology.

Proabably what I'll be doing in the new year and especially with the Vietnam DLC coming :smashin:

definately setting in, think it would of been ok if the netcode to bops was upto scratch, as it is it feels like just a chore playing it most of the time. i actually wish i could reset my MW2 prestige rank and start again from scratch on that. the social side of cod i think is what keeps most of us going back to it

Enough to create a new live profile and start again? :D

waaaaaaaaarz3.gif

Just make Battlefield but get Frostbite running at 60fps @720p native. Then stir in some dedicated servers and bring back the 64 vs. 64 player games from BF1942.

COD is just too basic and isn't evolving. Core gameplay is stale. A series of numerous 1 v 1 encounters where gun choice, perks, and reaction play second fiddle to connection and dodgy anti lag technology.

I genuinely think that MW2's engine produces a visually more appealing game than Frostbite. Love the destructible buildings though.

Proabably what I'll be doing in the new year and especially with the Vietnam DLC coming :smashin:

I'm going back to BF when the Nam DLC comes out. You get some very occasional lag but nothing like the difference between games that COD has. At least when I play BF, my stats gradually go up consistently and don't look like a picture of a mountain range like my COD ones do.

For me, the real addicting factor was the unlocking of titles and emblems in MW2 as well as getting so many kills with X before you can unlock X. It had that just one more game factor on so many more levels as BlOps.

Because now you can buy your guns, your attachments, and your emblem/playercard. Booooooring. You don't have to work for things anymore.

Oh, plus the graphics suck.

No - I've just wikipedia'd it tho. Does it actually work ? - I don't own one of those sony gismo's so I've never heard of it.
Never played it but it seemed to echo your thoughts for what a game should be. Watch some youtube.

Never played it but it seemed to echo your thoughts for what a game should be. Watch some youtube.

Well yes, MAG had a lot of potential, and is hopefully the first of a few MMO FPS. MAG was just done badly.

For me, the real addicting factor was the unlocking of titles and emblems in MW2 as well as getting so many kills with X before you can unlock X. It had that just one more game factor on so many more levels as BlOps.

Because now you can buy your guns, your attachments, and your emblem/playercard. Booooooring. You don't have to work for things anymore.

Oh, plus the graphics suck.

This ^

In MW2 it felt like you had to actually earn everything.. Challenges.. Weapons.. Titles.

In BOps there is no real buzz about levelling up for me..
prestiged again on MW2 the other day and the hunger for levelling up was there still..

BC2 when Naam comes out is going to be very tempting to put in the drive again.

Be careful what you wish for:
I am secretly kind of hoping that Black Ops is crap. I thought the Reach beta was very disappointing, and I can't think of much else MP-wise that's getting me excited. However - I just counted - I have a backlog of 29 unfinished SP games, 17 of which I have never even put into my 360. :facepalm: I could do with 9-12 months without any multiplayer games at all to allow me to finish those off. The social aspect with the lads from here is just too good though.

Unfortunately Black Ops is looking really really good, so there goes my chances of getting through my single-player backlog. :(

Hitting Prestige 10 on Black Ops and MW2 should tide me over until Respawn get a new game out and blow us all away the way COD4 did a few years back. It would bring me great satisfaction to boycott Activision and that ****** Kotick - but I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face.
:oops:

I thought WAW and MW2 was pretty poor compared to COD4 and ended up selling both within a month of getting them.

For some reason i'm quite liking Blops though.

Not sure what option best covers that in the poll though.

Probably 'was bored of the series but blops seems to alright so far so i'll see how things go'

Last edited:
Maybe because BlOps was built on the same engine as MW1.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom