France set to ban sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,501
    Here we go!
    France set to ban sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040 - BBC News

2. Alan CD

Alan CD
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,689
    If the ban includes all vehicles, ie buses, lorries, coaches, vans etc, then great. A good move.

However, if the French government is only targeting private car owners (the cheap and easy target) then a bad move politically IMO. Might backfire on them.

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,581
    It certainly puts another nail in the coffin of the 2025 thread :)

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,193
    Seems fairly clear it is banning the sale of certain cars so no effect on those in use. Also seems clear they aren't banning the sale of any other type of vehicle.

Seems a sensible policy to me if you are serious about phasing something out. I also don't see it as picking on an easy target TBH. By then there will be a (should be - see manufacturers part on this below) choice of cars to buy at reasonable prices but all electric instead of all fossil fuel powered. In reality what's the difference to the driver?

The emissions per person getting use of the vehicle is many times greater from cars than emissions from commercial vehicles providing benefit to many.

It also recognises the tech for larger vehicles will get there but will not be ready for a ban on sales in 2040. Cars you can push those timeframes on manufacturers quite easily given where the tech is.

Manufacturers are the ones to play the 'you're picking on me' card in reality. They need a kick to change their direction.

Meanwhile here in Australia our government is lending money to an Indian company to build a rail line from their about to get the go-ahead coal mine, to the ports, to export most of the coal to India.

I can only wish we had some proper policy announcements like that (any policy announcements really) here.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,330
    I'll not worry. 2040! Should be plenty of nails in my coffin by then.;)

If everone has to have electric cars by, let's say 2040 even in this country, just are people mean't to charge them in a street of terraced houses. There will be more wires going across pavements than I've got behind my TV cabinet. I can imagine the TV adverts, Tripped over a car charging cable? Get the compo you deserve!:)

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,581
    Kerbside charging points :) It will take a while, but it wasn't that long ago the thought of a telephone cable going to every house in the street was unthinkable :)

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,258
    I think it's worth thinking about the other changes to cars we will see by then.

It seems possible, if not probable, that by 2040 we will have self driving cars.

Why have it outside your house? Just send it off to the communal charging area and summon it when you need it.

Or just hire it and have it drive itself to pick you up.

With all the changes coming, I'm far more likely to lease my next car than buy it. I can see used values for ICE cars that you have to drive yourself falling significantly.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,898
    ...or rising as they become rarer???

9. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Hmmm, sounds like cart before the horse to me. Any government can make noises like the French have just done. It's so far in the future (in political terms) that there's plenty of time to wriggle out of anything said now. It's very bold too (likewise, if you can believe the UK plans to impose a similar ban by 2025) but does rather assume that (a) the physics has been cracked to give extended EV range, (b) a charging infrastructure is in place, (c) there are enough power stations to handle the demand and finally (d) getting manufacturers to come up with the goods. Nowhere have I seen anything about the halfway house approach -- hybrid vehicles. Volvo has stated that my 2019 all its new vehicles will be electric/petrol hybrids, and that's what I think will be the next move. Claims that by 2020 manufacturers will be able to make cheap EVs seems way too vague to me. For a start, there's a limited amout of resources globally to make batteries. Of course things will change in time, but, IMHO, any government that makes statements about banning this or banning that without coming up with something to support the planned change is simply making political noise to satisfy the masses. Let's be seen to do something without actually doing anything. I'm happy to be proved wrong -- if I'm lucky I should still be around to see the UK introduce the ban in 2025, but think it unlikely that I'll be seeing what the French do in 2040.

Clem

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,501
    The solution is starting here.

Ubitricity | Fully Charged

11. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,330
    Great idea.

New headlines:

Electric car owner sued for killing a dog by electrocution when it pee'd on a charging lampost!:D

It is a viable solution that's for sure. Government has got to get on board if they want a really big roll out of electric cars. The only place I know that has a charging point locally is my VW dealer's forecourt to promote the Golf GTE.

12. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,581
    I think that video was posted earlier in the thread wasn't it? Or was it a different thread ?

Edit: Ignore me, different thread :blush: