1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame mode

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Ornsack, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Ornsack

Ornsack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm currently looking for a Mini-DV camcorder that has the "Frame" or "Frame Mode" facility. Hard to find as no manafacturer seems to advertise the fact that their camcorders are capable of it, yet I know it exists!

Any help would be great, thanks!

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exact feature are you talking about?

The reason I ask is that I've never come across it before, and was wondering what it does. Is it possible that it goes by a different name with different manufacturers?

3. Ornsack

Ornsack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I hear it's also called "progressive scan"... Basically it gives you deinterlaced images without having to re-render stuff in Premiere. It has many purposes, 28 Days Later was shot on Frame Mode on DV so it could be converted to 35mm film without annoying interlaced lines appearing when the movement was fast. It also gives you higher resolution freeze frames. :lesson:

Try all your camcorder functions, and if one gives you what appears to be a slightly less smooth, but not totally jerky image then it's probably what I'm after :D

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've got a Sony TRV900 that does progressive scan.
    This model has now been replaced with the TRV950 (I think!).
    My camcorder cost around £1500 but am not sure of the price of the new model.

Mark.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Frame mode:
    AFAIK, the only cameras that does a reliable frame mode and is available over here are the higher end canons: XL1 XM series.

There is a panasonic available in the states that does proper 480p but Idon't know if its ever going to get a european counterpart.

28 days later was shot on XL1 I believe.
    I'm unsure if they actually used frame mode though : I think the major reason to use the XL1 was the ability to mount proper panavision motion picture lenses on it via an adaptor. I think that a company called "Peerless" did the deinterlace and res up.

The frame mode itself on the canons is pretty good. Its not a real full frame capture: basically it captures a full frame in green and the red and blue are fields that are interpolated: however this maps quite well to DV colorspace. Luma is mostly green so you are getting near enough a full frame capture detail wise with just some colour interpolation. DV ain't all that great when it comes to colour ( it interpolates anyway).

6. Ornsack

Ornsack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh finally somebody knows what they're on about!

There was a Panasonic at my Uni (a Pal) one that did a perfect Frame mode... Nice and smooth!

Well being a student and all I was wondering if anyone had seen a similar function on something costing under £1000?

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seriously doubt you'll find prog scan on any make of camcorder under £1000.

If it's smoother pans your after, make sure the shutter speed is set right and then deinterlace in post production.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The XM1 can be had for around about 1K.
    Loot normally has a couple of XL1 for around 1300.
    These are the only cameras I'm aware off that will reliably give you 25fps prog capture. Many of the others only do 16fps in prog mode (PD150 for one).

9. Ornsack

Ornsack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the point in getting one with "Frame Mode" (or whatever) was 'cus I was fed up of deinterlacing.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a top end camera (I'd absolutely love an XL1 or whatever it is these days!). Or spend more money on ram and processors to deinterlace my stuff faster...

10. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Love your site BTW. You guys are doing what I'd like to do, however sadly the filmmaking club in this place stick to dreary character driven crap - it's video people, not theatre.:thumbsdow

Especially liked your bit on simulating driving - really cool stuff.:clap:

Thankfully I should be getting paid to do a promo video for a rugby club soon, so if I get a better camera I'll do some serious research into pricing and features.:cool:

11. Ornsack

Ornsack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for visiting the site! Yeah we have done serious stuff in the past but we soon found out that nobody wants to watch a serious home movie, EVER! (And this includes other peoples holiday videos :D )

When you've done your research post the results here, as I'm always interested in what different cameras have to offer :smashin: