1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame dropping during capture to Vegas5

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by normalone, Nov 22, 2004.

1. normalone

normalone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody—

I have read everything I can find about my problem with heinous frame droppage, but am still very puzzled and frustrated! I’m using Canopus ADVC100 to capture vhs tapes from my vcr to Vegas 5, and it’s dropping huge amounts of frames.

• I have a less than yr-old Dell 8300
    • 2 Western Digital hard drives, one dedicated to media files
    • Have done the XP serv pk 2 patch to correct 1394 issue
    • On IDE controller settings enabled DMA on both hard drives
    • Got rid of unneccessary programs, defragged, disabled stuff like Norton auto updates, minimized capture window, etc
    • Turned off scene detection & dv device control
    • Am running the firewire for Canopus through Soundblaster Audigy card

Per somebody’s forum suggestion, I tried to capture w/ moviemaker, which was successful and looked amazingly good. However, when I opened this test clip in Vegas, saved it as a veg file and played it from the timeline, the video and audio were really jerky (like it was dropping frames) and it looked pixilated and cruddy.

Can anyone help?? Is it a Vegas problem, or a capture problem? I would really like to use Vegas for editing—that’s why I bought it! And would prefer to capture through it if possible.

Do I need to get a ADS Pyro card/port?

Also, how do I set Vegas audio & video temp folders to my media drive?

When setting the computer to enable DMA, the only DMA option was “enable DMA if available.” How do I find out if it’s available?

Any ideas????

Thanks!

:suicide: :beer:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why arent you using Vegas to capture instead of Movie maker , I use Vegas to capture from an ADVC-100 with no frames lost :confused:

Re capture to media drive in Vegas:-

File>Capture Video , to open capture dialog , then
    Options>Preferences>Disk Management clcik on Add Folder & navigate to your media drive. When you have your new folder added , uncheck the old temp leaving just your new one checked. You don't want to be capturing to your original "C" drive.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well that is why I think you are having the problems. I have given advise to a fair few people in the past that have been useing the firewire port on a sound card. The problem is that the s/c firewire ports are not fully ieee1394 complient an can cause all sorts of problems. In the past when a dedicated firerwire PCI card is added and used the capture problems are reduced or eliminated. As these cards only cost about £10 from somewhere like www.ebuyer.co.uk then it wont cost too much to try either.

Mark.