1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FQ80 Standby

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RAH, Apr 22, 2003.

1. RAH

RAH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my FQ80 for about a week now and am resonably happy with it but i have one question. When i put the tv onto standby i can't turn it back on for about 30 seconds which can be annyoying if it is accidently put into standby. Is that normal with this set of is it broken?

2. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That ain't normal !!

perhaps your remote control batteries need replacing ??

3. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    ditto mmm responce

i don't have this problem

4. RAH

RAH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger...i know that if they replace this one im gonna get one that has pink tinges in the corner and buzzes like a beehive. ps how loud is the deguass on your sets? mine is quite loud

5. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    yes the deguass is quite loud but normal for such a large TV

regarding the buzzing , mine does from the bottom right hand corner (psu i think) but I don't notice it now , and it only does it on 100hz or drc100,not on drc50

regarding the pink tinges, never had these (apart from time I moved the set whilst switched on)

6. RAH

RAH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what do u rekon i should do about the standby issue..this is the second fq80 im on first one had a scratch on the case and the sonycentre replace it within 24 hours of delivery. do u rekon i should get them to replace it with a new one or live with it?

7. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The question is : can you live with it?

when mine deguasses - it affects my monitor screen which is directly above it - upstairs :eek: :eek:

8. schnitzelbaron

schnitzelbaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi RAH,

I had a prob with the standby mode too (FQ80). I couldn`t turn on the TV with the RC after a few hours standby-time. Called SonyServiceCenter - they suggested to change the batteries, like mmm posted before... Had no effect in my case. Then I had the idea to change the socket and it really worked - don´t ask me why!!!

Sony FQ 80 - Owners : Do you have noticed color purity errors (blue-green shadows in the middle of the screen)??? I see those shadows if there is a light white or grey background i.e. ice age or skiing on the whole screen - I´ve noticed them, when the camera moves from the one side to the other - It looks like the screen is dirty. I´m not talking about the tinges in the corner-I don´t have those. After my third sony set (2x FX65, 1x FQ80) I think there doesn´t exist any sony 16:9 tube without this color-purity-prob....Getting the 4th set on friday...;-)

Greetz,

s.

9. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have the colour purity problem - although you really have too look for it.

after the major hassle I had with the other FQ80 and getting it replaced - this FQ80 shall have to do :(

mmm

10. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    I've posted on the forums earlier regarding problems with my recently replaced FQ75 with an FQ80. The 'scrolling bars' are certainly sorted as far as I can tell the problem now is the picture quality is not as good as the FQ75 was.
    I tried to describe it as 'grainy' or 'behind a veil' when light coloured objects, usually skin tones most noticeably, are moving on the screen but I think the description above about the screen being 'dirty' is quite fitting as well.
    Is this a known problem with this set? I have a Sony service engineer calling tomorrow for his view but I have already been in dialect with Sony customer services (who replaced my original set) and they are very apologetic and are already speaking of replacing the set.
    I have been told that a weak signal could also cause problems though so I'm a little reluctant to shoot into another replacement set if it's not the TV. The service engineer was trying to explain about my old set having a 'softer' screen becuase of use and so not showing up the same amount of detail (ie bad signal) that this new tube might be doing.
    When playing back DVD's the image is certainly better but this would be expected anyway?
    Any thoughts most appreciated
    thanks...Andrew

11. schnitzelbaron

schnitzelbaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew,

I think the problem with the "dirty" screen is a typical 16:9-TV-problem, which doesn´t depend on the signal, cause you can notice the tinges while watching DVD with a high quality scart cable. It depends on the difficult technique of flat screen production, which - unfortunately - is still not perfect, not even close to it...

You can correct the "grainy effect", if you turn on the DNR to "full DNR", but the picture will loose sharpness, too.

If you are not satisfied with your TV, you should get another set.

Greetings

s.

12. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers S.

After having another play with the settings last night it is very much related to different channels being broadast through my digibox and nearly always the BBC1 and ITV channels that are the worst...the wifes a soap addict so they get a bit of use and obviously why the problem is such an issue!!.... when watching some other channels it becomes a lot less noticable or even unoticeable that the picture is kind of 'pixellating' with movement and it's the 'dirty' screen that's sometimes noticeable.

I'll let you know what the engineers thoughts and any explanations he may care to give later this morning.

Andrew

13. schnitzelbaron

schnitzelbaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew,

I feel pretty sorry for your wife´s soap addiction problem, I´ve got quite the same problem with my girlfriend, so I´m with you ;-)!!!

It´s true, that the grainy picture relates to the different channels being broadcasted. I set the dyn NR on my FQ80 to "middle" and only 2 or 3 channels still suffer from the grainy prob. All the other channels look fantastic, never seen such a wonderful TV-Pic.

The "green-tinge"- or "dirty"-prob is the only thing wich really disturbs me. Everytime there is a fullscreen light background and the camera moves, you can notice the "green dirtyness". You can´t correct this effect in the service menue...Well, on friday I´ll get another FQ80 - maybe this set doesn´t suffer too much from the green tinges - we will see...

Hope your engineer(s) can help you!

Bye.

s.

14. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi S.

Just had a call from the wife and the engineer has said that the 'grainyness' we are experiencing is a trait of digital broadcasting and that it will always be present on every TV, he did sympathise that it does seem rather overwhelming on some stations but could not obviously compare this with the set we sent back (FQ75 on which we never noticed this problem or on the previous Toshiba which we owned for many years with the same digibox) As for the 'dirtyness' he suggests that we try another set to see if this could be improved.
    I think what I plan to do now is to get a replacement set and compare this with the one we currently have to see if there are any improvements.
    cheers..Andrew

15. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    andrewmellor

I’m intrigued by this dirtyness you mention, I used to own a panny pb50 which had the dreaded dirty screen effect but on my FQ80 the picture is crystal clear . Obviously on some channels you can get a poor broadcast but that’s all down to the compression etc .

Your not sat really close to the tv are you ? , you should be at least five feet away for a 32inch set !

16. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Mansell,
    We sit roughly about 7-11ft away from the set depending, so no I wouldn't say we are 'on top off it' If you've read my posts you'll see that we had an FQ75 replaced and that was fine, we used to pay compliments to the picture quality regularly...as you say the odd broadcast could have been poor but this set seems grainy/pixellated on moving things quite a lot (most) of the time.
    I am aware that digital broadcasts can have its problems and football seems to have issues for people but we had no such complaints with the old set so hence our frustration with this one.
    I intend (and have spoken with Sony) to get this set replaced and hope that we have just managed to get a 'bad' one as we both like the set and really want it deliver what we know the FQ75 was capable of....minus the scrolling bars of course!!
    Do you know if the DRC technology is the same as I'm sure I'd read that the FQ80 had 'improved' and this is at the back of my mind that it doesn't suit our set up...not sure why the picture we get would be so bad in comparision though?
    Very happy with the customer service support from Sony I feel I must add as they are sympathetic to us and agree I shouldn't be having any picture degredation compared to the old set and are looking into having 2 sets available so we can compare them together.
    Thanks for your comments,
    Andrew

17. schnitzelbaron

schnitzelbaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi andrew,

I´ll compare the two TV´s on friday an report, if the green tinges exist on both sets. Would be nice to hear from you again.

Greetings,

s.

18. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi S.

Spoke with Sony and they are going to replace my FQ80 but they are on backorder at the moment so it will be 3-4 weeks before it arrives...I'll let you know how I get on.
    I'll be interested to read how you get on with your replacement on friday!!!

regards..Andrew

19. schnitzelbaron

schnitzelbaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Andrew!

Got my 4th Sony set on friday. I was a happy man for about 3 minutes. Then I saw the scrolling bars. The screen began to "pump" from light to dark and the dirty effect was there, too.

Called my TV-trader to get my money back.

That was my last try with Sony 16:9 TV´s. Now I´ll give Philips a chance....

Hope you`ll have more luck with your TV!!!!

Bye,

s.