1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FQ80 Image problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andrewmellor, Apr 17, 2003.

1. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

Just recieved my FQ80 replacement set for a 'scrolling bars' FQ75 and after switching it on and setting up last night was most dissapointed in the picture being displayed via AV1 from my panasonic sky digibox.
    The picture was kind of grainy? and was terrible when images were moving almost as though viewing through a veiled mask at times and that the image 'underneath' was ok. I apologise for the scatty description but that's the best I can describe it as.
    After the set had been on for about 1/2 hour (and I'd turned the sharpness levels down as well) I'm quite sure the image had improved though!! Watched the Ars/Man game and this seemed ok and just some bits looked funny/grainy.
    Tried a dvd and this played fine, after doing a little searching this morning I've found lots of references to poor signals causing digital artifacts? This would seem viable but my previous set definately didn't have this problem. I also seem to remember reading that the FQ80 had 'improved DRC'
    Could this 'improvement' be causing problems with a poor signal that the FQ75 was happy with?
    I've spoken to the service centre this morning and before I finished trying to descibe it he cut in and told me that he had heard of this happening to other FQ80 owners and it always settled down and produced excellent pictures after a few days!!! I must add that the service centre has been great and honest with me in the past and it was them that got SonyUK to replace my set (very quickly after reading some the troubles people have had here) I had 1 'modified' J-board replaced after my first call call to them and the next call back to tell them it was much improved but still there got a return call explaining the plan to replace the set! So I do intend to give it a few days especially after seeing an improvement last night.
    Just thought I'd see if any other FQ80 owners on here have experienced similar?

Thanks for looking...Andrew

PS I hope it does sorted as I love the set!! (as I did my FQ75)

2. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what scarts are you using?

3. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Mick,

Ixos 141's, spent £100 on scarts when I was having problems with my FQ75....much to the wifes dismay!! so I'm pretty sure they're not causing any problems.

Update on the set though, Spoke to the wife this morning and she cannot see anything now!!!! Must have been a bad transmission session last night?????
    Wierd or what...but it's cheering me up.

Cheers..Andrew

4. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    the quality of the sky channels vary a lot

the best I find is Sky News (studio desk shots)

so try this , if it look's fine then you have no problems and the TV is working fine

what's it like on RF ? . My previous set (four panny pb50's) was unwatchable but the Sony is just sublime !