1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FQ80 Blurriness

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mondeo, Apr 6, 2003.

1. mondeo

mondeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an FQ80 provided direct by Sony as a replacement to the 'scrolling' FQ75.

The new set is scroll-free and, in most respects, is very nice - but it does have two annoying 'features'.

1. The PSU buzzes - not intrusive on, say, the footy but audible when quiet scenes are showing.

2. The bottom left hand side of the screen is a blurry yellow colour. Only really noticeable on bright screens (Sky Sport News and the Cable TV 'info' bar for example) but it's a pain on a new set.

I've read a bit about both of these problems but cannot find any solutions. Does anyone know if either (but particularly point 2) can be fixed or should this be a warranty return?

Many thanks

:confused:

2. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    me thinks that IS a warranty return...

3. mondeo

mondeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm..hope not.

Wouldn't be surprised though considering Sony's handling of things. Amazing how the replacement set arrived 3 days after I started legal proceedings.

These two faults do seem quite common with the FQ sets though. I can live with the buzzing but the blur is offputting. Does anyone know of any low level menu that can adjust this kind of thing?

Thanks.

4. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't people recommend checking for speakers or cables too close to the TV when there are colour problems ? Solution being to move the offending items further from the TV and degauss (switch TV off at mains for 20 minutes..)

apologies if you've already thought of this and discounted this..

Martin

5. mondeo

mondeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion Martin but the speakers are some way from the TV (apart from the integrated set of course)

Has anyone else got an FQ80 with similar symptoms and has managed to resolve them?

Thanks.

6. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Hi

My friend had a FQ80 set with the colour stain which was on the right hand side at the bottom and was pink. But he had other problems as well so it was replaced. But the engineer who looked at it says it could of be cured the patch that is, As the internal speakers were not shield properly. Well that what he said. But as he had other problem the set was replaced with a good one

7. schnitzelbaron

schnitzelbaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mondeo,

try moving your TV set in your room (if possible!!) while using a white background i.e. "ice age" from your DVD. If the spot disappears, you´ve got a "magnetic shielding" prob, which can be caused by heaters. This prob can be repaired. Maybe you´ll find a place in your room without interferences from magnetic fields...

If it doesn´t disappear you´ve got the "doming" - prob also name "color purity error" which ist a physical screen-error that can not be repaired.

In my case, I had to send back 2(!!) FX 65, because both had that "color purity error" = a permanent green stain only seen at white/grey backgrounds :mad:

Now I´m waiting for my FQ 80 hoping it´s "stain-free" :confused:

greets,

schnitzelbaron

8. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    here's my penny's worth

I have a FQ80 and it's perfect !

:rotfl:

9. mondeo

mondeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks schnitzelbaron

I don't think it has anything to do with magnetic interference although that would give the same kind of 'effect'.

I think the colour purity error is more likely - and if there's no fix then Mr Sony can come and replace it under warranty.

I just hope I don't have to go through the same 14 months of aggro I had trying to get my FQ75 replaced.