1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FQ-75 : Can we sue Sony?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RichieS, Mar 31, 2002.

1. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an FQ-75 with Scrolling Bars problem

My dealer will only swap my TV for another FQ-75 (no refund, no upgrade - HiFi Confidential) because they say that Sony has not told them anything is wrong with the TV

Sony have sent me a letter saying that they are looking into the fix but don't have a date (If they are looking into it why don't Sony tell their dealers). After 13 months and 2 TV I still can't watch my TV with any satisfaction

What can we do to get Sony to offically acknowledge the fault - it is present on most FQ-75 (I've seen three who all have the problem - some more than others). How the hell can Sony still be selling this TV to innocent consumers!!!!!

Should we sue them collectively (I'd be first to sign up)

Should we approach the major newspapers and tabloids (I have been informed that this would be very effective).

It's time we grouped together and sorted this out - together

2. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on guys...

Everyone is constantly telling their own pesonal story on this. The people who have researched this should concisely write a list to explain to readers where they stand (a separate thread)

i.e. For those who have purchased an FQ-75 you have a right to...........

A) From your dealer

B) Your Manufacturer (SONY)

We would then be more organised if everyone didn't have to be a Detective to work out their rights. Once it's clear where we stand we can move forwards

3. CharlesElliott

CharlesElliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a lawyer.

Firstly, your contract is with the supplying dealer, not with Sony.

Under the Sale of Goods Act (1979)

14 - (2) Where the seller sells good in the course of a business, there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods:

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied;

(b) appearance and finish;

(c) freedom from minor defects;

(d) safety; and

(e) durability.

If these conditions aren't met (as in the case of the FQ75 in my opinion - fails under 14-2A and 14-2B) then the buyer can 'reject' the goods. They are then entitled to a refund.

Whether it is just your FQ75 that has a fault, or all of them is irrelevant. Your contract is for the TV that you purchased.

Suggestion: Simply write a letter to you dealer stating that under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act you wish to reject your television and claim a refund. Tell them that they have 14 days to comply with your request.

Their replies that they 'don't give refunds', 'have tried to fix it once and therefore you can't reject it', etc. etc. are contrary to your rights under the act. Ignore them.

Cheers,

Charles

4. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Charles

I'll give that a go

5. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you don't sue sony-your contract is with the shop.
    so if they won't give you a refund you sue them for about 40 quid in the small claims court.

6. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just contacted Trading Standards who told me that I would have to pay £115 to get back the £1600 I paid for the TV.

They also take into consideration the time that you've had the TV and thus may not award you the amount you've asked for.

7. CharlesElliott

CharlesElliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richie,

How long have you had your telly? The Sale of Goods act simply states 'reasonable time'. This can mean a lot of things (and there is only a little clarification in the act).

I'm not sure where the £115 comes from - what did they say it was for?

If you want to email me directly (avforums at charleselliott fullstop co fullstop uk) then we can discuss more.....

Charles