Question FPV camera setup

B8tes

Novice Member
Hi guys, new to the forum, thanks for having me. Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on FPV cameras and their setup

Basically, bought a potensic d85 drone, really good bit of kit but as usual with these lower price drones, the camera is a bit of a let down.

Recently purchased a new 4k sports camera and the difference is night and day! Only issue is that I'm flying blind! The 1080p camera that comes with the drone is 5g wife and the range is super! But when connecting the new 4k up to its corresponding app the range is poor!

So I'd like to use the 4k camera still but have a small FPV type camera on the top to just be able to see where I'm going Haha!

Can anyone give me some advice please on how to install these and where to even buy them? I know it's not as simple as buying a small camera, you need transmitters and what not but I dont understand what you need.

Many thanks guys, I look forward to hearing back

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Hobbyking are cheap and cheerful and can supply all the kit you need. The sticking point will be interfacing the camera into a phone, as most FPV systems use analogue transmission direct to goggles or a screen.

My drone has a Foxeer FPV camera, as it is light, has excellent contrast range and plugs directly into the transmitter on the drone. You can also get cameras with a built in transmitter, so that you only need to run a power cable from the battery or power distribution module.

At the ground end, you will need some goggles - Fat Shark are some of the best, or for less money a screen. Most have a built in 5.8GHz receiver, or you can buy this as a separate item. Running into a phone is possible, but results tend to be mixed and you get a little latency on the signal. Just make sure that both the transmitter and receiver will work on the same channels, as there's a few different "standards" out there and you may find your receiver and transmitter channels don't line up properly, so the signal is very poor.

B8tes

Novice Member
Many thanks for your reply, I didn't know about that website and just taken a look and it looks really good!

The only issue I have is that I'm a real novice when it comes to even knowing what to buy haha. I basically need a list type of thing to know what to buy, because apart from a small camera and goggles I do struggle to grasp what is needed for a FPV setup.

Many thanks again, I appreciate the advice

Hobbyking are cheap and cheerful and can supply all the kit you need. The sticking point will be interfacing the camera into a phone, as most FPV systems use analogue transmission direct to goggles or a screen.

My drone has a Foxeer FPV camera, as it is light, has excellent contrast range and plugs directly into the transmitter on the drone. You can also get cameras with a built in transmitter, so that you only need to run a power cable from the battery or power distribution module.

At the ground end, you will need some goggles - Fat Shark are some of the best, or for less money a screen. Most have a built in 5.8GHz receiver, or you can buy this as a separate item. Running into a phone is possible, but results tend to be mixed and you get a little latency on the signal. Just make sure that both the transmitter and receiver will work on the same channels, as there's a few different "standards" out there and you may find your receiver and transmitter channels don't line up properly, so the signal is very poor.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
This is not going to be totally straight forward, as you will need to find somewhere to mount the FPV camera and also to power it from. This will mean taking the drone to bits and using a multimeter to find power supplies etc.

If you can get a video output from your action camera - HDMI or Composite video, you may be able to link that straight to a transmitter.

B8tes

Novice Member
Thank you for your reply, yeah it's not straight forward at all especially for a novice.

I can confirm the action camera does have an HDMI port and the drone itself has a micro USB port, maybe there is a way to connect them?

I mean it's not as if I need crisp clear images at 400 feet, I'm an independent film maker on a tight budget needing aerial shots

I wish I was more tech savvy Haha

This is not going to be totally straight forward, as you will need to find somewhere to mount the FPV camera and also to power it from. This will mean taking the drone to bits and using a multimeter to find power supplies etc.

If you can get a video output from your action camera - HDMI or Composite video, you may be able to link that straight to a transmitter.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I doubt you could connect the HDMI to the USB, but you could look at a transmitter that accepts HDMI. There's a few around - but they tend to be about £60 or so.

rickyt

I use a separate FPV setup with my XK Detect drone. All the required parts were from the Chinese sellers as they are the cheapest. I have had a few action cams over the years, SJ4000, Runcam and now the Firefly6. There is a small module that connects the camera to the transmitter and is fed power from the 12v output on the drone. There are a huge selection of transmittters and the guy's here will also tell you about the legality regarding the transmitting power, I think the legal UK limit is 25mA. We fly in an open space's miles away from anything so I bought a FPV 5.8Ghz 32CH 1500mw TS800 FPV Wireless AV Mini Transmitter Tx with antenna. The price being £19.60. This TX sends a 5.8Ghz signal to a monitor attached to your remote .I own both 5" & 7" monitors both with built in 5.8Ghz recievers. You can buy a FPV camera with TX built in or there is a huge range of uncased cameras you can mount into small plastic boxes. I was actually mounting these cameras into the old Nokia phone chargers ....with the contents removed of course. A click-fit mount is attached to the bottom or top of the drone for easy fitting or removal. If your wanting a steady video a gimbal may be needed but this adds to the weight. You can buy a camera with built in stabilising, the Firefly has this.

tarrot setup.jpg

click mounts.JPG
mount5.JPG
a selection of photos to show you the setup, mounts & cams.

B8tes

Novice Member
Thank you so much for this! I honestly really appreciate it because I've been struggling so much to understand it. You have helped me so much, I'm so grateful.

I use a separate FPV setup with my XK Detect drone. All the required parts were from the Chinese sellers as they are the cheapest. I have had a few action cams over the years, SJ4000, Runcam and now the Firefly6. There is a small module that connects the camera to the transmitter and is fed power from the 12v output on the drone. There are a huge selection of transmittters and the guy's here will also tell you about the legality regarding the transmitting power, I think the legal UK limit is 25mA. We fly in an open space's miles away from anything so I bought a FPV 5.8Ghz 32CH 1500mw TS800 FPV Wireless AV Mini Transmitter Tx with antenna. The price being £19.60. This TX sends a 5.8Ghz signal to a monitor attached to your remote .I own both 5" & 7" monitors both with built in 5.8Ghz recievers. You can buy a FPV camera with TX built in or there is a huge range of uncased cameras you can mount into small plastic boxes. I was actually mounting these cameras into the old Nokia phone chargers ....with the contents removed of course. A click-fit mount is attached to the bottom or top of the drone for easy fitting or removal. If your wanting a steady video a gimbal may be needed but this adds to the weight. You can buy a camera with built in stabilising, the Firefly has this.

View attachment 1195358
View attachment 1195360 View attachment 1195363 a selection of photos to show you the setup, mounts & cams.

rickyt

Your very welcome. If you need any help just send me a PM. You can buy a complete setup for FPV. Depending on the range ,quality, size etc prices can be as low as £35.30 . I have a attached a screenshot from Aliexpress and this kit is £62.96. as you can see ,this kit uses a separate RX & TX so both have to be powered, ideally a monitor with 5.8ghz built in would be better. My monitor has a MicroSD card in so I can record the feed too but the video quality is poor but still handy if the drone comes down you can review the footage. You could buy all the required items separately if you want. I use the AE alot , the prices are good and delivery is quite fast , but there are others sites too.
kit.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom