FPS set in the Alien universe...

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Always thought the Alien 'universe' (you know, as in the top-notch films!) could do with some more games, so here's a next-gen one coming soon!

Gearbox to Develop ALIEN First Person Shooter for SEGA

SEGA announced today that Gearbox Software will develop the first-person shooter title based on the Alien film franchise for the next-generation systems. A press release from SEGA says that "Gearbox Software's FPS Alien title will retain the atmospheric look and feel of the original films while leveraging next-generation technology to create an entirely new interactive Alien experience."

Gearbox Software is the creator of Brothers in Arms and they have also ported Halo to Windows and Half-Life 2 to Xbox.

“Gearbox Software has a storied history of bringing innovative and compelling design to the FPS category,” said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “Combining their design talents with the intense action of the Alien franchise ensures that gamers will have an immersive and action-packed experience.”

“The Alien series has been a tremendous influence for myself, the people at Gearbox Software and the video games industry in general,”
said Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software. “The opportunity to work with the amazing people at SEGA and Fox to build a next generation video game in the Alien universe is one of those dream projects that is a perfect fit for our capability and our passion.”
Link

Potential for a strong story and good to see they've not involved them pesky Predators this time. Plus sounds like it's in safe hands as Brothers In Arms was excellent.

mekes82

Too many damn FPS games. For people who arent fans of the genre the 360 must be getting quite stale now.

HurleyFX

This is FANTASTIC news for the 360, for fans of the films and games, i remember playing through AVP and AVP2 , even though i knew what was coming it still made me jump.

fast forward to todays 360 graphical power, id imagine someones gonna loose control of their boldily functions playing this :D

Hopefully they will do a AVP3 along with the planned fps and rts alien games.
and stories that do the characters justice.

chrislad

AvP and it's sequel are probably the only games that still scare the crap out of me.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Too many damn FPS games. For people who arent fans of the genre the 360 must be getting quite stale now.
I know what you mean, and I agree it's disproportionate the amount of FPSs, but for this one I defintely make the exception. Not entirely sure I'd say there's nothing decent on the 360 outside of FPSs like you intimate - from Viva Pinata to TDU to XBLA to PES6 to Oblivion, it's hard to argue there's nothing to do aside from FPS.

This is FANTASTIC news for the 360, for fans of the films and games, i remember playing through AVP and AVP2 , even though i knew what was coming it still made me jump.

fast forward to todays 360 graphical power, id imagine someones gonna loose control of their boldily functions playing this :D

Hopefully they will do a AVP3 along with the planned fps and rts alien games.
and stories that do the characters justice.
AvP and it's sequel are probably the only games that still scare the crap out of me.
Completely agree here - the AVP games were great and the whole Alien universe just drips atmosphere - it has that something no-one else seems to have done.

Put me in a big deserted outpost colony with some kick ass firepower, a squad of Marines, and a bunch of Aliens, add some class 5.1 effects and put it all in HD and I'll lap it up :smashin:

Markoos

Novice Member
Cant think of a decent Alien game that has been released so far, lets hope this one is different.
Seriously?! I can barely think of a bad one.

Re: the quoted article at the top - I thought Valve had ported HL2 to the XBox themselves? A big deal was made of it at the time. I know Gearbox did the Blue Shift mission pack and converted HL1 to the Dreamcast (even though it got canned in the end).

D

Deleted member 92943

This is where the console differences lie though. The xbox would have loads of FPS games cos it's what the US and Europe like unlike SONY who are Japanese and have most of their games aimed at their market which RPG's

G

grannycorp

As it's Gearbox I reckon this'll be using the Unreal 3 engine. Considering the bits in Gears of War which referenced Aliens this could be very good indeed. I'm hoping for a squad based Marines game based on the Brothers in Arms blueprint.

Captain Beaky

Novice Member
i'll second that! forget silent hill and resident evil - THESE were proper scary games. i just couldnt get round the fact that it WAS just a collection of polygons running towards me. to me, it WAS an actual alien that would rip me to pieces or spray me with acid blood.

motion tracker+darkness+aliens = brown trowsers!

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I loved Alien Trilogy on PS1 - those damn motion trackers gave me the heeby-jeebies... :eek:

I've only recently stopped wetting the bed...

Markoos

Novice Member
I loved Alien Trilogy on PS1 - those damn motion trackers gave me the heeby-jeebies... :eek:

I've only recently stopped wetting the bed...
I had in on Saturn... think it was the first "scary" game I'd ever played and it bloody terrified me, especially the level in the garage thing from Aliens *shudders*

BurntKona

Standard Member
yeah avp was a huge letdown, they b*****dised both films.

i make pred masks so at least helped me sell a few more though ;)
Hehe, it didn't click that you are that Usurper. :hiya: from the Lair

HurleyFX

hehe, hey man, small world eh :hiya: :hiya:

Lets hope theres a kick ass pred in a few games eh :D

got another one to pull from mold later today :) bloody cold at mo so takin ages to dry..

oops back to topic.

nasty alien things grrrr scary acidy slimey :)

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I was reminiscing about the aliens game way back on the speccy & amstrad - it was sort of an fps but it was so damn blocky it was virtually impossible to make out the aliens until they come at you and kill you.:mad: Never actually managed to get to the armory although I think I did make it to the medical statsion. Got such high hopes for the new game, but 2008 seems so far away! And then there's the inevitable delays:thumbsdow

jonnydynamite

Novice Member
motion tracker+darkness+aliens = brown trousers!
Completely agree with that one. Used to play it on our LAN at uni in my first year at about 3am while wired on coffee. Not good for the nerves and I've never been more on edge while playing a game in my life! If this makes a decent game on 360 I'd better go and get some bicycle clips.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Completely agree with that one. Used to play it on our LAN at uni in my first year at about 3am while wired on coffee. Not good for the nerves and I've never been more on edge while playing a game in my life! If this makes a decent game on 360 I'd better go and get some bicycle clips.
maybe they don't show up on infra red?

God that motion sensor sound is as fearsome as the beasts themselves when it's dark.

steviebwoy

Cant think of a decent Alien game that has been released so far, lets hope this one is different.
Good God. Aliens on the Spectrum was actually superbly scary! It had a horrible high pitched beep whenever there was an Alien in the same room. It was truly the scariest game at the time and I swear on one occasion one of the little beggars jumped out of the screen at us. I think it's vagueness and simplicity was the scary factor, your mind had to kind of fill in the blanks with the poor graphics and reality. Sincerely, it had to be seen to be believed, jumpy just ain't the word!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett