1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FPS + Projector = nausea

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by RichKS, May 10, 2005.

1. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I recently bught a projector and started using it with my consoles etc.

The problem is that while most games are fine, SOME first person games make me feel quite queasy. Doom 3 doesn't seem to have this effect, but Timesplitters 3 does. Haven't really had a chance to test this extensively with every title. It used to happen occasionally about 120 years ago when I used to play Doom and Heretic on my PC, and then it seemed to happen when I was tired or had low blood sugar. Again, haven't tested extensively, so I can't be sure. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to avoid this?

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Quite a few people had problems with HL2 which were akin to motion sickness. Also DLP Projectors can cause some people to feel ill during fast moving scenes/games through what is known as the Rainbow effect. Do you have a DLP, LCD or CRT projector?

3. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the options for Time Splitters 3 is there an option to decrease the "view bob"? That should help if it has one.

4. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I found that it did initially but now I must be seasoned to it and have no problems. However if others view it while im playing they have the same problem. I guess its a similar thing to feeling car sick when your a passenger!!

Stick at it, you may find it will pass and then you can enjoy games at a fantastic size, especially GT4 in 1080i on an 8 footer it is superb :thumbsup:

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can't play any first person games for any more than about 20 mins. I even get queasy thinking about them. I first noticed this with Doom II all those years ago.

6. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It's an LCD. I've never had this problem with my TV (32" widescreen). I used to with my PC, but haven't been able to play games on my PC since Unreal Tournament destroyed my tendons about 6 years ago. I guess it's something to do with the % of your field of vision that the moving image takes up. Close to a 17" monitor I suppose the screen takes up a large %. 2 metres from a 32" TV, and the % must be far less. 3 metres from a 2 metre screen, and I guess the % is pretty big again.

And sorry, I meant 10 years ago, not 120 (but I guess you'd have to be a bit special to think I'd been playing Doom 120 years ago...)

7. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Now, that's a good point. My girlfriend had to look away from the screen the other day while I was playing GTA the other day. But then she's been known to fall over while watching other people play games in arcades :D

I always did feel a bit squiffy watching other people play FPSs. Something to do with knowing which way the screen is about to turn.

Gah, videogames without violence are like vegeburgers: they're alright, sometimes even fun, but you can't help feeling that you're somehow missing the point :D

8. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It may seem stupid, but how far back are you sitting from your screens? I believe there is a minimum distance you are supposed to sit away from a large screen? The closer you sit to a large screen, the more likely you are to suffer from eye strain.

We use a PS2 linked to a 6ft screen via a Sony VPL Cs5 projector and have not suffered these symptoms.

I would also suggest buying a joypad extension cable for the Xbox so that you can sit further back from the screen.

Also for those that use VDU's at work, treat the console on the same principle, have a break from playing for 20mins or so, I think at work you have to go away from your screen for at least 20mins every 4 hours. Someone may explain this a bit better than I have.

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i get the same problems on TFT monitor, my Pj or my widescreen tv. certain games affect me some dont. far cry and halo2 didnt effect me were as HL2 and Ts3 really got me after about 30 mins play.

10. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    I used to have the same problem when I first got my projector.

Perserverence worked for me, after a couple of weeks I got on fine with it and still do now.

It's great when you finally get used to it

tris

11. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Heh, it's not the controller cable that's keeping me near the screen, it's the wall behind me! The consoles and projector are mounted on a shelf on the wall behind me.

Darn, I think I'm going to have to do extensive testing on this effect :D

12. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Well knock the bloody wall down then fella :thumbsup: ;)

Matt

13. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is a distance issue, it might be because the screen is so large that the parts of the image that goes to your peripheral vision is distorted. What I mean is because, peripherally, you'll looking at the image side on instead of directly, which causes a distorted perception and so can knock you sick.
    If any games have a curvilinear view (so called "fisheye" but in reality it's how the eye receives data) that can be adapted to huge screens that should cure ithe nausia

14. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is what I hoped someone would post!!

Thanks PiePie

15. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks. I kinda hope more games start using curvilinear geometry - although they look odd on small screen on a larger screen you get a more realistic image - and if the panoramic, "insideofagiantball" displays are made the emersion and realism would be staggering. Not likely to happen though lol :( but I know there's arcade games that use something similar.
    The only game I know that uses curvilinear perspective is Fisheye Quake. Shame it uses the DOS version of Quake though - the low resolution doesn't do it justice.

16. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well, 2 hours of TS3 after a slap-up feel last night left me feeling anly slightly frazzled. Which might have been because of the frantic action rather than the screen size. Either I'm getting used to it, or it's really related to blood sugar.

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have come full circle on this really. I started out thinking the PJ was a bit much for FPS moved back to the Plasma now I`m back on the PJ.

It does take some getting used to but looks fantastic :)

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I must say that i've hardly played games via a TV since getting my PJ. The PJ gaming experience is just so much better and immersive that I find it a very unrewarding experience going back to using my 32" widescreen Sony.

19. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Had a go the other night with my PS2 plugged into a borrowed LCD projector. Played GT4 and Colin Mcrae. Started feeling really rough after about half an hour which is surprising as I've never suffered from car sickness or other motion sickness. I was at about 1.5 to 2 x screen width.

Had been looking forward to a bit of big screen gaming when I get round to getting a PJ. Now am not so sure, but it sounds as though some people can get used to it.

20. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What I'm seeing is that if my blood sugar's low I feel squiffy after playing an FPS. If I play while I'm perky, it's all OK.

Try playing just after you've eaten.

Rich.

21. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've had a projector for a few years now (AE100) and while don't suffer from any symptoms from using it do find it slightly harder to obtain high scores and complete difficult levels. So often when it comes to difficult games I go back to using my 100hz thomson 28" widescreen. Is that just me or do any others find it more difficult to play games via projector?