1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FPS gaming - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by mcav, Nov 16, 2004.

1. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi there all.

I am hoping someone can help me with this problem as it is driving me up the wall!

When playing FPS games, regardless which one - Half life, Doom 3, Half life 2 (yes it is excellent) I seem to have this absolutely absurd problem with using my keyboard. Whenever I press any of the letter keys - the entire game practically freezes. The audio judders and the frame stops until I let go of the key itself (i.e W S A D)

The kicker is - If I use the arrow keys it runs absolutely fine. My PC is more than capable of running these titles and as I have said - when I use the arrow keys - everything is nice and smooth. Also - and I don't know if this helps - but if i press and hold "ALT" while pressing a letter (i.e. W S A D) It also runs smoothly.

Ok - must be a problem with the keyboard. Except I have swapped keyboards about and experience the same problem with a different keyboard.

Must be spyware. Makes sense - a keystroke logger or something like that. I have done more spyware scans than I care to remember. My HDD is defragmented to the point that if I try to run it my PC is going to say "LOOK MY FILES ARE CONTIGUOUS!!! GET IT?" My virus database is nice and up to date as well, and have no viruses on my PC.

I suffered this problem before and a spyware scan and defrag seemed to fix it - but I'm thinking that it was more coincidental fixing than anything else.

Please somebody help me, I'm losing my mind!

Cheers

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    hmm interesting one - what is your Key delay set at? Go into control panel >hardware devices >keyboards and there's a slide bar for long to short key delays. Maybe if you've got a long key delay set the game stutters or freezes until the key repeat delay expires. Just a thought.

3. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I sorted it - thanks for the suggestion.

How did I sort it?

Well I restored my PC. Redownloaded the lot (my backup didn't work :eek: )

And with a fresh PC there are no probs.

I am pretty sure there was something really deep inside the PC which nothing could reach except a format and reinstall. Either way - in gaming heaven. (with occassional trips to ****ting myself hell with fear)

:thumbsup: