FPS games - am I the only one who doesn't like them?

Brogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just finished playing all the demo's I downloaded from XBL to get an idea of what kind of games I like.

One thing I noticed is that I don't really like FPS type games.
Maybe it's because I'm rubbish at them :rolleyes: but they all seem a bit "samey" and usually too dark.
Before I've been able to spot who the hell it is that's shooting at me, I'm almost dead.
I know the dark look gives atmosphere and makes the game harder but I just find it very difficult to see anything and find myself really struggling to make anything out.

I tried Quake 4, GRAW, Rainbow 6 and the others that are on XBL and Halo 2 which I've bought.
Quake 4 was just too dark and just consisted of going into rooms and shooting aliens.
GRAW wasn't dark but I got wasted in 10 seconds.
Rainbow 6 I couldn't even work out how to get off the damn roof after zipping from the helicopter! :mad:
Even Halo 2 which is supposed to be one of the best I find OK but not that great.

So is it just me?
Do I need to give this genre more time or are there others who don't like FPS games?

Perhaps I need to get on Live with some mates so I can see how it's done?
Is it much different/better playing on Live as opposed to solo?

-

I'm not really a fan of FPS on consoles, love them on the PC though - Counterstrike: Source is ace.

Maybe you're not being patient with them? RB6V is a fantastic FPS; the weapons are well balanced, sound is excellent, team AI is decent & it has good multiplayer options, although graphics are so-so at best.

Live is another dimension (dependent on the game) so try that element out and see how you feel; writing off GRAW, RB6V, Quake & Halo2 suggests FPS games are not your thing.

you say tomayto etc......

although i agree with the whole "dark" thing. does get a bit depressing after a while. get bioshock - the unusual setting really adds a lot to the gameplay

although i agree with the whole "dark" thing. does get a bit depressing after a while. get bioshock - the unusual setting really adds a lot to the gameplay
I've got Bioshock and although it's more interesting as you have to solve problems, etc. I still find it too dark and after a while it's just the same old killing-people-when-you-enter-a-room-type-thing.

Well thats what the market is asking for right now, so shooters a plenty are coming out, great time to own a 360 if your a fan of the genre. I have tried all the fps and 3rd person shooters demos on live and they bore me as well, I have tried to get into them. They mostly the same generic thing that have been done countless times with a gimmick or two to make them just a little different. Are developers just accommendating the current market or they are running out of ideas, personally I think the latter.

Though its not really the type of games I play, I don't have anything against the 1st and 3rd person shooter genre apart from the fact that there seem to be so many of them out now with alot more coming. I could'nt get into Bioshock, however I can appreciate its quality. U can see a great amount of effort has been put into Bioshock because it does standout from anything that is out now and probably even for the next year, now if only other developers are willing to put that much effort into their shooters.

Just face it FPS are not for you, If you can't get off the roof of R6V and find Bioshock dull you may as well give up now ;)

any game in any genre will be samey....if its a fps or a driving game the general idea is the same...PGR3 is the same as forza...fast cars going around a circuit...halo 2 and rb6v are the same...shoot the enemy....you have to have a little imagination with these things....definatley do not write anything off until you have tried it on live....its a different ball game....whereas an AI character can only react in a certain amount of ways a human reacts different everytime and there are no tactics in an AI opponent but if i know you have popped me twice from a certain location i will flank you which brings a whole new dimension to the game and keeps you on your toes a bit....give it a try....anyone is welcome to friend me my gamertag is TWH DEL BOY.:thumbsup:

Agree with Limey above me, they are obviously not your thing so dont try and force it, Bioshock Dull...are you mad and as for not being able to get off the roof of the first R6V level...well lets just say there are some things you should not admit to :)

If you dont like a genre then you dont like it no matter how much those type's of games sell and are hyped, i hate RPG's and stuff like WOW so i never play them or even bother with most of the demo's because i know what i like.

I still find it hard to believe though that the whole keyboard and mouse thing still gets brought up when ever FPS on a console gets mentioned, do people not have the skill of being able to adapt and get used to different types of control, i remember when a mouse was first added to the FPS controls on PC and it seemed foreign then but we all still gave it a go and got used to it just as i did when FPS's first appeared on console's, i guess people who can't get their heads around a joypad for a FPS ran and hide when they saw the ever so complex Wii controller for the first time :eek:

Surely anyone who games can use and get used to any control system:rolleyes:

I've got Bioshock and although it's more interesting as you have to solve problems, etc. I still find it too dark and after a while it's just the same old killing-people-when-you-enter-a-room-type-thing.

so what else do you want to do? what do you want the genre to be? after all, it is a first person SHOOTER. If bioshock, quake, GRAW and R6V leave you cold, then i would say theres no hope. move on.

From the looks of your gamercard (not that im a crazy stalker or anything :rolleyes:) your either a very casual gamer or have a few kids, you have basically played every live arcade game under the sun :eek:

Shooters arent really the best genre to break into gaming with, offline they can be very derivative and online they can be off putting as people are incredibly competitive.

Id probably prescribe a slow intoduction , maybe something like GH:II expensive i know but appealing to many especially if your into rock if you have got kids maybe Viva Pinata or Kameo lots of fun and can be played together

Then maybe something like Blue Dragon, or another such RPG, not my style but many casual gamers transition to them quite easily. I see you have Oblivion thats good as it will get you used to dual analogue control and the first person perspective.

If your determined to get into FPS i definatly recommend finding some friends on here and playing some private matches, playing on your own in the wild on live is not a good idea, with private lobby you have time to breathe and people can help by advised how you actually rappel down that rope in R6:V ;)

Saying all that FPS's arent for everyoe, your doing the right thing by getting all the demos first :smashin:

so what else do you want to do? what do you want the genre to be? after all, it is a first person SHOOTER.
I don't want the genre to be anything other than it is.

My post was asking the question of whether I am the only person who doesn't like FPS.
Obviously not, judging by some of the responses.

I will give Halo 2 a chance purely because so many people seem to rate it.
Also, I'd like to get some practice in if Halo 3 is as good as it is purported to be.

To clarify, I think Bioshock is quite good with an interesting story and I am working my way through it. As I am with Oblivion.
These though I don't consider to be strictly FPS as there is an element of problem solving and character progression.

From the looks of your gamercard (not that im a crazy stalker or anything :rolleyes:) your either a very casual gamer or have a few kids, you have basically played every live arcade game under the sun :eek:
Casual yes, kids no.
I have demo'ed most stuff on Live but as I said in another post, some of the games were literally played for 5 seconds so it was just to see what they were.

Id probably prescribe a slow intoduction , maybe something like GH:II expensive i know but appealing to many especially if your into rock if you have got kids maybe Viva Pinata or Kameo lots of fun and can be played together
You've obviously got me confused with some kind of family man :rotfl:
I had a PS2 and played stuff like GT4, GTA4, etc. so I'm not new to console gaming.
Guitar Heroes? Please! I'd rather gargle broken glass....:D ;)

Then maybe something like Blue Dragon, or another such RPG
Didn't like Blue Dragon but I found FF (7 or 8?) very good on the PS2.

If your determined to get into FPS i definatly recommend finding some friends on here and playing some private matches, playing on your own in the wild on live is not a good idea, with private lobby you have time to breathe and people can help by advised how you actually rappel down that rope in R6:V ;)
That sounds like the best option.
I don't want to write off the FPS genre as there are so many well made games available.
I'm just having a hard time getting into them.
I must admit the roof situation in R6 wasn't one of my finest moments...:D :rolleyes:

Casual yes, kids no.

You've obviously got me confused with some kind of family man :rotfl:
I had a PS2 and played stuff like GT4, GTA4, etc. so I'm not new to console gaming.
Guitar Heroes? Please! I'd rather gargle broken glass....:D ;)

Ah right fair enough mate in that case send out some friends invites especially if your gonna go for Halo 2, lets just say it not the most welcoming community on Live :suicide:

I love FPSers, by far my fav genre, but I really think they are rubbish on consoles.

I decided to get Bioshock on 360 and it was a mistake - I am enjoying it but they just dont work as well.

Maybe you would like them better on a PC set up, which is where they shine tbh.

My mates are all into fps but me I just cant get into them at all. The only one Ive liked if its classes as one is Call Of Duty.

I was never really intrested in FPS i preffered 3rd person namely MGS and GOW however after getting back into playing GoW on live i now realised i really could begin to like the genre because it just seams to fit the whole online thing so well ( although must admit still dont actually own 1 for 360 but i'm 99.99% sure ill be getting H3 and COD4 )

I've just finished playing all the demo's I downloaded from XBL to get an idea of what kind of games I like.

One thing I noticed is that I don't really like FPS type games.
Maybe it's because I'm rubbish at them :rolleyes: but they all seem a bit "samey" and usually too dark.
Before I've been able to spot who the hell it is that's shooting at me, I'm almost dead.
I know the dark look gives atmosphere and makes the game harder but I just find it very difficult to see anything and find myself really struggling to make anything out.

I tried Quake 4, GRAW, Rainbow 6 and the others that are on XBL and Halo 2 which I've bought.
Quake 4 was just too dark and just consisted of going into rooms and shooting aliens.
GRAW wasn't dark but I got wasted in 10 seconds.
Rainbow 6 I couldn't even work out how to get off the damn roof after zipping from the helicopter! :mad:
Even Halo 2 which is supposed to be one of the best I find OK but not that great.

So is it just me?
Do I need to give this genre more time or are there others who don't like FPS games?

Perhaps I need to get on Live with some mates so I can see how it's done?
Is it much different/better playing on Live as opposed to solo?

-

It's not just you! I couldn't get of the damn roof either on that rainbox 6 demo. I recently sold Halo & Halo 2 on ebay the other day (couldn't get far in either and they were gathering dust). About the only thing I play are car games the trouble I find with a lot of the other games is there are so many controls that you need to remember unless you play the game regularly it's hard to pickup where you left of. The only other games I can get on with are stuff like Resident Evil something with a bit more thought and strategy and a slower pace, not just blasting the hell out of everything.

To post something more positive, I am enjoying Bioshock so much more now.

Although I initially calibrated the screen to the Xbox and set the brightness in Bioshock, for some reason when I checked it earlier tonight it was far too dark.

I set the brightness level again and now I can actually see what I'm doing :D
I have found so much more stuff that I just walked straight past the first time.

Have you played the Gears Of War demo yet? If you play it online it's fantastic.
Their are sport sims and car racing games, Project Gotham Racing 4 comes out in Sept. Also Ace Combat 6 is out soon and if you like flying games I would definetly recommend you try the demo.
I am a huge fan of FPS games and alway's have been right back to the Doom freeware day's.
If you can get on with Bioshock then give it a big chance as it's an awesome game, oh and don't forget Mass Effect, it may be more your type of game as I Belive it's a mix of genres.

I'm not a fan of shooters, yet oddly I still buy them (e.g. Gears, Halo 2)!! I'll probably pick up Halo 3 when I get my Elite and doubtless will play it for a couple of hours before trading it!!

The last shooter of any description that I played was Goldeneye, which I did play to death.

To post something more positive, I am enjoying Bioshock so much more now.

Although I initially calibrated the screen to the Xbox and set the brightness in Bioshock, for some reason when I checked it earlier tonight it was far too dark.

I set the brightness level again and now I can actually see what I'm doing :D
I have found so much more stuff that I just walked straight past the first time.

Was scrolling through this thread waiting to make this comment - I had the same problem when I first played Bioshock – only by fiddling about with the settings did I get to appreciate how amazing the place is.

By the way,I know it’s been said many times, but I spent about half an hour last weekend drooling at your setup...amazing. :eek::smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom