1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FPS controllers

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by cerouax, Feb 26, 2003.

1. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My Microsoft Sidewinder Dual Strike finally got killed by Wolfenstein tonight:(
    I know it wasn't the best controller in the world, but I preferred it to the mouse/keyboard combo. Seeing as the Dpad section is now a seperate unit (just the thumb piece) it looks like I'm in the market for a similar product, or a superglue disaster which could end up in very little movement at all.
    Can anyone point me towards a controller which emulates the mouse look movement (right hand) purely for FPS games? I think MS have stopped making the Dual Strike, as all info on the net seems to be quite old, and I would like to try a better product.
    Anyone with any ideas?

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Not sure but I think the Thrustmaster Dual analogue should meet your requirements, I have one and seem to remember that it can map mouse movement to one of the analogue sticks on the gamepad with the latest drivers/application. Can't test at the moment as too many other things going on. One I get a chance I will test and report back.

3. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers Scoob,
    Although I'm not sure its quite what I'm after... I had a search for the Thrustmaster and it kinda seems like a console type option... don't worry about testing it (although if you already have then by all means let me know the outcome)
    Sorry if the original post was misleading, its not the mouse I have a problem with so much as the keyboard. After much searching in vain, I may even have to learn the keyboard/mouse thing... its just that having a d-pad for walk/strafe was so damn convenient, and the accuracy of the moving right arm of the pad was as good as a mouse, but felt a whole lot better (when calibrated properly).

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No problems,

The thrustmaster firestorm dual force has 2 analogue sticks, and a d pad and 10 normal buttons, obviously is USB and is top quality for about £20 also has vibrate as well. I reckon it could be just what you require!

5. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    For anyone who may be interested, I've found the perfect (possibly- only had a quick go) replacement for keyboard control in FPS games. The Nostromo SpeedPad N50 (by Belkin) has 10 keyboard type keys (left fingers), a scroll function (for throttle in driving games apparently) and a Dpad (left thumb). It's used in conjunction with the mouse for the usual look/shoot.
    After only an hours play I've got quite used to it, although the dpad does seem a little over-responsive. The installation is relatively painless, and the software accompanying it is very simple. It even has a "loadout manager" where you can select a profile and run the appropriate game from the same window, which is stupidly easy to set up. Check the link for more...
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=200436

At £25 from PCWorld, I'm really glad my dual strike bit the dust...so far.:smashin: