1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FP or RPTV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Magsy, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Magsy

Magsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Things are starting to look up HD wise and I've amassed so much HD stuff I need to be able to watch it, question is what to watch it on?

I currently have a cheap 28" widescreen and a 2yr old Sony 4x3 projector, 1024x576 on a 100" screen. Of course neither of these do HD any justice at all!

I would be willing to spend 2-3k..

I saw a Sagem DLP RPTV in comet and I had to sit and watch for over 30mins, it really blew me away. I've been back twice since pretending to buy a toaster or summit but really its just to look at the TV :p

Now I'm torn because I always told myself that FP was the way forward. I've really enjoyed my time with one so far but I'm picking hole in it left right and centre now quality wise. I was going to pickup a HS20 or something around that level but now I'm not so sure.

I would miss the 100" picture but then a 50"+ TV isn't really that small, plus I'd use that day to day and not just on a few select nights of the week.

Question is really which is the best way forward? (I know ideally I'd have both, but that will have to wait:() I haven't seen a high res FP in operation and it is something I need to try before I decide (not much down this way), but how do they fare? Can you acheive that glossy, vibrant and shiny look the RPTV produces?

Any thoughts?

ps. Pulp Fiction is being posted, the sample is mouthwateringly good, some of the best so far quality wise (viewed on pc)

2. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait a while and the new Samsung DLP rear projectors models will be out. Got some lit sent from a mate in Switzerland where they came out last week. They look really good and prices are supposed to start at about £2200 for a 45" model up to £3500 for the all singing all dancing 50" model. I would post the lit on here but it's a fax copy. I've been thinking about the Sagem but the Samsung has the new second generation TI chip set in it and I would rather wait a while and see the difference. It is also high def compatible (not sure about the Sagem). The SIM2 Domino 45 looked the muts nuts but it cost £4500 so it's off my radar!

3. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Sagem,which I have had for about 4 months ,is fantastic and high def capable.
    However I would recommend waiting for the Samsungs and the Thomson before deciding.

4. Magsy

Magsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cool, I had read about the samsungs and have read the info page on the webbie - they do look sweet.

And I think you hit the nail on the head with the SIM, if I was going the PJ route I should get a good dlp but good dlp costs too much money!

How can they stick a dlp in the back of a huge telly and have it cost less? :)

5. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Magsy

Magsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a plasma if you can. I've yet to see any projection TVs come close to a good HD plasma. No expert here but that's my opinion seeing all the HD displays on sale in my part of California.