Question FOXT2 recording failure on Beeb channels

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by PHOBIC ®, Jun 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. PHOBIC ®

PHOBIC ®
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi folks

Here's a weird one that didnt bring anything up in the searches.

My FOX T2 HDR has stopped or i should say, started to fail, on recording either BBC3 or BBC3 HD.

3 or 4 times now, when going to the stored recorded files, there's usually a little thumbnail on each recording, but for those troubled one's, its a black space.

When trying to play the file, i get a recording failed message with a lightening bolt through, and it states under the files, zero minutes

Before this started to happen, 5 or 6 days back , if i was to say set the timer for BBC3 HD for 7 o'clock ( Top Gear re-runs) i would still get a failed recording icon, because i set the timer with 2 mins start time padding, and BBC3 / HD doesnt go on air till 7pm hence the apparent failure, but it asked if i still wanted to play the file, which would then play fine, skipping ahead of the the 2 mins of static recording while BBC3 or HD kicked off.

Now, the recordings are all failing, rather than just stating they've failed but still play, as they did before.

I dont know if its coincidence, but i loaded up some of that spooky software via USB stick, to see if i could use any of its upgraded software, but i couldnt.

How do i get rid of that sofware now ? It may not be the cause, but I may was well get shot of it, because i dont use it, and at least it would eliminate that as a potential problem

If its useful info, my TV reception comes from Beckley, Oxford

Cheers all

2. PHOBIC ®

PHOBIC ®
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, 2 mins ago, i tried a timed recording on BBC3 HD and it worked ?

Could it be more to do with the 7 o'clock thing, with BBC 3 / HD coming on air 2 mins after my padded timed recording ?

If so, why was i still able to record in the past ?

3. PHOBIC ®

PHOBIC ®
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    More info

I forgot i'd also tried to record Beeb 3 at 8 pm, long after they went on air, and that recording failed, with a message when trying to play the file " channel unavailable or scrambled " or something along those lines. Recording time was not zero, but 1.01 mins

Could it just be the weather and i was unlucky ?

4. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    There have been occasional issues over several years, with BBC HD channels and recording on the HDR Fox T2.

Without the custom firmware installed, all you could do was delete the files and chalk it up as a failed recording.

With the custom firmware and a PC/tablet connected to the same network as the HDR, you could do some investigation. The most pertinent of which is to determine whether the file size is commensurate with a completed recording, and the HDR has simply lost contact with the recorded content. There is some possibility in this case using features of the custom firmware, to render the file playable on a PC or the HDR.

5. PHOBIC ®

PHOBIC ®
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks !

I'm too inexperienced with the tech to do what you advise, but as you say it seems that it WAS random/unlucky, as those channels have successfully recorded ok since, and nothing to do with anything else

I'd like to delete the custom firmware i loaded on via USB. Can you advise how to get rid ?

The file is HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf

thanks

6. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    I've not done that. What you need is to invoke the RMA (return to manufacture) routine outlined here.
    Though you will lose a lot of protecton from "bugs" in the original firmware.

7. PHOBIC ®

PHOBIC ®
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, didnt know there were any bugs, so perhaps i'll just leave it where it is. It wasnt the cause of the failed recordings, so no need to wipe it

Thanks !