Foxsat single feed recording problem

munkjack

Standard Member
My foxsat HDR has started playing up recently. It will record some programmes but not others. It will even show the 'rec' symbol and yet the programme does not appear in the Media list. This is for a series recording where the first one worked and the next one is on the schedule. It has done this with several programmed recordings so I did a factory re-set but that didn't help. I've tried rebooting as well. As the title suggests I only have a single feed coming from the dish.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Can you confirm you have the loop cable in place from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in ?

munkjack

Standard Member
There are no loops between in/outputs on the back of the machine just the input from the dish, but there never has been and it worked fine for the first 9 months.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
There are no loops between in/outputs on the back of the machine just the input from the dish, but there never has been and it worked fine for the first 9 months.

It's impossible for it to work properly without the loop. The firmware has two modes of operation.

Single cable mode - detected on install or after a factory reset.

The firmware assumes the second tuner has a feed from the first. (see P16 of the manual). The second tuner is capable of accessing a large subset of the available channels and will therefore let you set a recording combination that's impossible with a single tuner. It will fail when it tries to follow the recording schedule. With the loop you can record two channels at the same time and view some third channels.

Dual Cable mode - detected on install or after a factory reset.

The firmware assumes that each tuner has an independent feed so can access every channel in the epg independently of tuner 1.

What has probably caused you to notice is that a reshuffle of BBC channels has caused recording combinations that worked before not to work anymore. With 1 cable and no loop you can still record two channels on the same transponder.

Fit the loop (all you need is about 12" of coax and two f connectors), it will greatly increas the versatility of your hdr.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
... and after installing the loop cable a factory reset would probably be a good idea - it doesn't loose any stored recordings. I run my Humax with one tuner and a loop cable - so far I haven't seen any recording issues (that said, it isn't used much).

HTH

Clem

fishandcushion

Standard Member
Sorry to intrude, can I just check I've understood things properly...

I've got one feed from my satellite dish going into my PVR.

When I'm recording something, I can't access most of the other channels. Is this because I've only got 1 feed from the dish?

Or is it something I'm doing wrong / missing?!

Cheers!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Sorry to intrude, can I just check I've understood things properly...

I've got one feed from my satellite dish going into my PVR.

When I'm recording something, I can't access most of the other channels. Is this because I've only got 1 feed from the dish?

Or is it something I'm doing wrong / missing?!

Cheers!

Before answering your question.

Is the pvr a Foxsat-hdr

If so look around the back and check if you have a short coax cable from the middle connection to the connection nearest the middle as per the diagram at the bottom of P16 in the manual.

If yes to both (add the single loop cable if it's missing)

Download this webpage and open it in your browser.

FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Look at column 5 you will see it's got 4 coloured blocks :

HBH - High Band Horizontal

HBV - High Band Vertical

LBH - Low Band Horizontal

LBV - Low Band Vertical

These are the 4 possible combinations the tuner in the hdr can switch the lnb into.

Now look at Cols 1-4

These show in coloured blocks each transponder in that block and which radio/tv stations on the freesat epg they carry. (you will only have at most 2 of the ITV1 regions and one version of ITV1-HD depending on which postcode you used)

Simple rule.

Using one cable and the loop you can record any two channels from the same block at the same time (Note if one of the recordings is a BBC 1 region you can record from either of the low band blocks which is significant in what 3rd channels you can view).

Third channel viewing depends on which transponders the two recordings are being made from

If both recordings are from the same transponder then any channel in the same block can be viewed (and time shifted)

If the recordings are from different transponders then you can also view any channel sharing a transponder as either recording

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom