kevvyb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wanting to make sure I've not missed something really obvious. Moved into new house. Told previous owners had sky box. I'm assuming a dish aligned to receive sky will receive freesat without realignment, dish hasn't been removed, just checked!, plugged cables into foxsat which searches and comes back with no signal.

I'm bemused, unless my assumption about alignment for freesat / sky is wrong.

Have no silicone grease with me but can't imagine that would result in no signal at all.

Any help much appreciated.

How many cable outlets are there on the LNB? If only two, then it's a pretty dead cert that it's a Sky Q LNB that needs swapping out as winston says. Alignment should be OK.

Hi both. Thanks for quick replies. I was just about to send email to try to find out if they had SkyQ. There are two cables but will check the LNB tomorrow.

Only done this once before so if I have to swap out, are LNBs all standard fitting?

Assuming from what you say that SkyQ customers given new LNB but why is this if SkyQ is delivered over internet? Doesn't that make LNB and dish redundant?

Thanks in advance again.

Sky is not delivered over internet.:)

I thought from what i had read that SkyQ service in UK had not yet commenced but stood to be corrected by anyone who knew better.

So if they were getting sky it was via satellite. OK, would a 'Sky LNB' somehow restrict delivery of freesat via satellite signal?

So if they were getting sky it was via satellite.
Yes, except catchup
OK, would a 'Sky LNB' somehow restrict delivery of freesat via satellite signal?
Yes. See posts 2 and 3:facepalm:. The Sky Q wideband LNB is not compatible with boxes other than the Sky Q boxes (at the moment)

The Sky Q LNB is a wideband device covering the whole sat band. Simplistically, a 'normal' sat receiver such as 'old' Sky and all Freeview boxes switch the LNB between two frequency bands.
Changing the LNB is easy peasy as long as you can safely access the dish.

I thought from what i had read that SkyQ service in UK had not yet commenced...
The "Sky Q" service launched on 9th Feb 2016. Have you not watched TV in the last few years, you can't miss the constant adverts for it?

It replaced "Sky+", amongst other things providing for multiroom viewing and 4k.

What hasn't launched yet is an internet delivered service which Sky have been talking about for a while now.

...would a 'Sky LNB' somehow restrict delivery of freesat via satellite signal?
See posts 2, 3 and 7. :facepalm:

I thought from what i had read that SkyQ service in UK had not yet commenced but stood to be corrected by anyone who knew better.

So if they were getting sky it was via satellite. OK, would a 'Sky LNB' somehow restrict delivery of freesat via satellite signal?

Before Sky-Q all digital satellite receivers in the UK use a Ku band universal lnb (including Sky-HD boxes) . These lnb's switch the lnb into one of four possible modes

See

LNB mysteries explained - part 1

Because of this you need a seperate lnb output for each satellite tuner so each tuner can control the lnb segment it's connected to and it's not possible to simply split the signal as you can easily do with a terrestrial aerial.

Advances in electronics mean that it is now possible to cover the whole Ku band without requiring frequency band switching (high/low - controlled by imposing a tone switching signal than when using a universal lnb by using a lower frequency (IF) than a universal lnb uses.

A sky-Q lnb has just two outputs because all horizontally polarised transponders are sent down one cable and all vertically polarised ones are sent down the other. No band or polarisation switching is required, the tuner just has to provide power. Because the lower IF now falls in the UHF band used for digital TV it's np longer possible to combine a aerial feed and a lnb connection into one single cable and seperate them at the remote end.

There is however a 6 output Hybrid lnb that works with both Sky-Q receivers and conventional ones. Had the former owner had this lnb your freesat kit would have worked just fine.

eg

£28.95 SKY Q HYBRID 6 WAY LNB NEW 2018 | eBay

If you change your existing lnb for the above or the cheaper 4 output standard universal linked to in the other thread it will resolve the problem.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
TJT1: Freeview?

Last edited:
Where? Did you fix that for me?

#7.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom