Foxsat-HDR with Media Bundle 4.0.8 implement WOL

phit03

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,
I'm a new forum member but have been using the excellent media and file server bundle for some time. I am able to access the box via telnet, SSH and HTTP over the Internet and I am looking for a way to use the Foxsat-HDR to send a magic packet over my home LAN to wake up my Media PC as my ADSL router (BT HomeHub3) won't allow me to do it over the Internet. Is there any way that I can port the WOL-0.7.1 program to the Foxsat-HDR so I could run it via telnet or SSH from the command line? Any information as to whether this is possible and if so how to go about it would be welcome. Also, if this is possible, could I suggest this as an additional feature (the ability to send a wake up packet to a specified MAC address on the LAN) on the Web interface?

I don't understand a word of it but I can't see the forum topic Satellite TV coming into it anywhere.:rolleyes:

Won't work power saving shuts everything down not needed to respond to the recording schedule and ir boot command. No Wake On Lan capability. Only way I can think of is some sort of IR interface for a PC to boot the box.

Won't work power saving shuts everything down not needed to respond to the recording schedule and ir boot command. No Wake On Lan capability. Only way I can think of is some sort of IR interface for a PC to boot the box.

He wants the Humax to send the magic packet to wake up his media pc not the other way around as I read it.

Sounds like a question for one of our Linux gurus? :laugh:

He wants the Humax to send the magic packet to wake up his media pc not the other way around as I read it.

Sounds like a question for one of our Linux gurus? :laugh:

Why, wake on lan isn't normally a problem with a PC :confused: If he's not there why the requirement to boot the PC. If the HDR responds to a timer to wake up, you can do the same with the media PC. If the Foxsat is off you can't do anything remotely anyway.

Last edited:
Why, wake on lan isn't a problem with a PC :confused:
The problem isn't the PC Graham, it's the router. I have a bt homehub I too can't WOL my devices. With the possibility of the humax waking via it's timer you could, if it were to be made to work, use that to WOL over the network.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the PC Graham, it's the router. I have a bt homehub I too can't WOL my devices. With the possibility of the humax waking via it's timer you could, if it were to be made to work, use that to WOL over the network.

You could wake the PC the same way (ie with a timer) :confused:

With my French ISP - it's a setting "Proxy WOL" on or off.
I would complain - it should be a user choice - in the same way as running a smtp server - default OFF.

With my French ISP - it's a setting "Proxy WOL" on or off.
I would complain - it should be a user choice - in the same way as running a smtp server - default OFF.
Thanks for that REPASSAC, Yep could be worth having a look into contacting them. Having said that I do actually have a little netbook running 24/7 so I do have another option.

Why, wake on lan isn't normally a problem with a PC :confused: If he's not there why the requirement to boot the PC. If the HDR responds to a timer to wake up, you can do the same with the media PC. If the Foxsat is off you can't do anything remotely anyway.

Just quoting what I believe he asked, don't shoot the messenger. :rotfl:

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

To clarify, I want to use the Foxsat to send the WOL signal to my Media Server PC as the Foxsat is on most of the time (I know I can't access it when it's in standby).

I can't send the WOL signal over the internet because the BT Homehub3 ADSL router doesn't allow it (few do). So the idea is to SSH (or telnet) into the Foxsat-HDR remotely via the Internet (the Foxsat is on the same home LAN as the Media Server PC) and use that to send the wakeup signal.

Obviously I would only use this when I'm away from home and can't physically push the power button on the PC.

I've managed to compile the wol program package on my Raspberry Pi and confirm that it works OK from that. The next stage is to try and copy the executable from the Rasperry to the Foxsat-HDR and see if it works on that. I believe that both the Rasperry and Foxsat use an ARM chip so in theory the executable should be compatible. What I'm not sure about is whether I need to copy any other files with the executable.

Hi All,

Thinking about it, I don't need to use the Foxsat-HDR at all!

I can use the Raspberry Pi instead, it probably uses less power than the Foxsat anyway so I can just leave it on 24/7.

I shall still try the wol program on the Foxsat but I'll leave it until the box is idle and I have the time (probably not for a couple of days).

The next stage is to try and copy the executable from the Rasperry to the Foxsat-HDR and see if it works on that. I believe that both the Rasperry and Foxsat use an ARM chip so in theory the executable should be compatible.
It won't work but here's one that will :)

Attachments

• wol.zip
    55.7 KB · Views: 73
Thanks Raydon,

I didn't think it would, I assumed that any system calls the program made would fail as it had been linked with a different kernel. Am I correct?

I'll leave that sort of things to the experts for now :).

I've copied the executable you supplied into /opt/bin and changed the permissions and tried it with wol --help and it works. The Media PC is on and busy at the moment so I'll test it out properly later as that's the only PC I have that's set up for WOL.

Thanks for your help and all the effort that you and others have put into the Media BUndle, it's much appreciated.

I'd almost forgotten about this, but there's also a wake-on-lan applet built into the version of busybox that installs along with the web interface. There's no symlink created for it, so in order to use it you must enter the full path.
Try entering /opt/bin/busybox/busybox ether-wake --help from a telnet session.

I'd almost forgotten about this, but there's also a wake-on-lan applet built into the version of busybox that installs along with the web interface. There's no symlink created for it, so in order to use it you must enter the full path.
Try entering /opt/bin/busybox/busybox ether-wake --help from a telnet session.
Raydon is it just me but it is a tracked alias, sorry about the wallpaper :blush: Jeri Lynn Ryan (Seven of nine for the non-aficianados)

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2012-08-09 23:18:01.jpg
    Screenshot at 2012-08-09 23:18:01.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Raydon is it just me but it is a tracked alias, sorry about the wallpaper :blush: Jeri Lynn Ryan (Seven of nine for the non-aficianados)
Sorry about the confusion but it's definitely a symlink, not a tracked alias. I stated in the earlier post that it didn't exist, but in fact, it does. :facepalm:
If you enter 'alias' on its own you will see that there are none defined, however if you try 'ls -l /opt/bin/busybox/ether-wake' you will find it listed.
So 'ether-wake' on its own will work, no need to enter the full path. Sorry for the bum information. Nice wallpaper BTW :D

Last edited:
All brilliant stuff again Raydon, many thanks I can now overcome the limitation of my BT homehub. :thumbsup:

Quick question, probably been asked before but the custom firmware threads are vast and my searches are pants. How do you set a password for protecting against unwanted remote telnet sessions?

How do you set a password for protecting against unwanted remote telnet sessions?
Hi GC,
Quick question, short answer, you can't.
Quick question, long answer, the telnet client running on the HDR cannot be configured to use a password. AFAIK you cannot access a LANside telnet client from the WAN unless you specifically enable it by port forwarding port 23 in your router. If you have already done that you could change the routers forwarded port, plus the port that telnet listens on by editing the startup script /opt/etc/init.d /S50utelnetd. But if you are just concerned about security in general the the best way is to stop the telnet client and disable its autostart via the web interface service management, and only turn it on when you need it. Alternatively, you could use dropbear instead of telnet. This is secure as it uses SSL and it does require authentication. You can use either of the accounts already set up. user:HumaxFTP pass:0000 or user:root pass:root. In which case you might want to change the passwords via the passwd command. Enter passwd root or passwd HumaxFTP to change them. Remembering that this will also affect vsftpd which also uses system accounts, but not tinyFTP which just uses a simple config file (/opt/etc/init.d/tinyftp.conf).
regards
raydon

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply raydon. :smashin:

I'll take on board the suggestions you've made concerning Dropbear, but for now I'll stick with telnet which I have the port enabled on my router so remote access is available. One of the reasons to have telnet enabled remotely is just a backup should mongoose crash on me whilst I'm holidaying, then it's just a simple task to restart it. I've decided to disable telnet using the webif 'service management' and toggle it on when I need it and off again at the end of the session (mongoose is unlikely to crash at these points leaving the period inbetween covered by the telnet running).

Once again many thanks for the work you and the others have put into this firmware and also for the continued support. :thumbsup:

Regards GC

Thanks for the reply raydon. :smashin:

I'll take on board the suggestions you've made concerning Dropbear, but for now I'll stick with telnet which I have the port enabled on my router so remote access is available. One of the reasons to have telnet enabled remotely is just a backup should mongoose crash on me whilst I'm holidaying, then it's just a simple task to restart it. I've decided to disable telnet using the webif 'service management' and toggle it on when I need it and off again at the end of the session (mongoose is unlikely to crash at these points leaving the period inbetween covered by the telnet running).

Once again many thanks for the work you and the others have put into this firmware and also for the continued support. :thumbsup:

Regards GC

Well you could enable your routers web interface to be externally assessable - which is normally password protected on all routers I have seen - you could then toggle on and off the port forwarding - then you can leave telnet running.

On my home network I have an Omnima Linux Server
Omnima*Limited*::...
I loaded it with "openwrt", a mini Linux.

So I use this to log into via ssh and then go where ever I wish on the network.
I then WOL my main Linux server if required, or access the Satellite TV PVR (FoxSat) if it's on. Shame it doesn't have a WOL.

I am getting a Raspberry PI so this may replace my Omnima Server.

The Raspberry PI seem quite cheap at £21.60 ex VAT
But once you add a case/PSU delivery and VAT it comes out more that £41.
Then you still need an SD memory card.
But it still looks OK, 26 weeks lead time though !!!

Hoping to use it to network enable my old CRT TV.

Regards.
JL
P.S. I added the reference to Satellite TV as it seems required!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom