Foxsat HDR - Recording BBC1 + BBC2, can't watch ITV!?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Tyler Durden, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Thanks

TD

2. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    You have two satelite leads going into the back of your HDR box.

So you can in principle at maximum.

Either Watch one channel and record another channel, or record two channels.

However its not quite as straightforward as that.

The following is a non technical explanation:

There are basically 4 satellite channel 'groups'. TV channels are spread throughout these groups with very little logic. Lets call the groups A B C D.

Lets say your recording BBC1 and it comes from Group A. The lead going out your box will tell its part of the LNB (the bit in the middle of the dish) to 'tune' in to Group A and then the Box will tune in to BBC 1 and start recording.

But you are also recording BBC2 and it comes from say Group C. The other lead going out your box will tell its part of the LNB to 'tune' in to Group C and then the Box will tune in to BBC 2 and start recording.

Now you come along and want to watch ITV - but unfortunately thats in group B - and you don't have a spare lead going out the box to the dish, that can tell a LNB to 'tune in' to Group B. So you can't watch ITV.

However if you'd wanted to watch Channel 4, you could have done because it (in this imaginary example) is in group A - and an LNB is already tuned into that.

In reality the Groups are :
    1. Horizontal polarisation low band
    2. Horizontal polarisation high band
    3. Vertical polarisation low band
    4. Vertical polarisation high band​

But the logic and arguments above apply. Details of which channel are in which group can be found through google.

3. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
  4. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    The groups analogy is only relevant if there is only one LNB feed to the recorder.
    All channels broadcast via 28.2ºE and 28.5ºE (effectively the same position and receivable on a single dish/LNB) are on a number of frequencies, and each frequency (transponder) carries a number of digital services.
    If you desire to receive three channels simulateneously, at least two of those must be on the same transponder, further if you only have a single feed both transponders must be in the same group.

On the Foxsat HDR, if both recordings are on the same transponder, you can also pause-live on the channel being watched.

5. rbee

rbee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Peeps, can you help me understand please? Had to re-set my Humax yesterday after I got an 'LNB short' (long story, but netted out to a dodgy input by me - and I ended up paying someone £40 to fix a cable problem - doh!). Anyway, tried recoding DEMONS on STV, but when wanting to watch another channel, I could only see certain ones eg NOT BBC1 or BBC2 Scotland. I checked inside the 'advanced ' menu ref the antenna setup, and switched to 2xLNB same (or words to that effect), but still no change. I then tried recording both Beeb 1 and 2 after stopping DEMONS, and that worked.
    This morning, tried recording STV, and can see all other channels. When I then also recorded as a test BBC HD, I can only get a few selected 3rd channels to watch eg BBC CI, but not my normal BBC1 or 2 Scotland
    Can someone explain why to me - is it a necessary limitation, or can I do something to change this?

Thanks

PS the advanced menu is obtained by getting into the freesat setup and pressing 'RGYBGYB' buttons

6. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  7. rbee

rbee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :thumbsup:Super, many thanks GeoffW.

Now I only need Graham to add STV to thge list - or perhaps I just assume STV is as ITV i.e 103 (which is what it is listed at on my guide anyway):lease:

8. Caz41

Caz41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I can't get this to work. When I go to Freesat setup do I press this code while highlighting just the sattelite dish icon or do I highlight one of the four options in this category (ie: Freesat Tune Manual tune etc)?

9. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Read Graham's answer to my question about this (see post #17 in the DS thread). You have to replace the data in the table for the first three channels to reflect your local stations. Tune to 101, press Opt+ and note the frequency and polarisation (H or V) and then overwrite the description, frequency and polarisation values in columns A, B and C. Repeat for channels 102 and 103.

Geoff