Foxsat HDR problem

g8vkv

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a Foxsat HDR which has worked fine for a number of years.

It's connected to a single LNB which goes into Tuner 1 and there's a link from Tuner 1 "out" to Tuner 2. It's a non-hacked unit and has the latest Firmware.

It's developed a fault which puzzles me. It behaves as follows ...

I can make a single recording OK. If I try to make a second recording however, I can only record channels from the same transponder. I cannot make a second recording of a channel from other transponders - even if they have the same polarization and hi/lo band as the channel being recorded.

At first I thought Tuner 2 had gone duff, but I tried connecting to only Tuner 2 (i.e. no Tuner 1 connection or link cable) and it worked OK.

Likewise Tuner 1 only.

So - it seems to me Tuner 1 is OK, Tuner 2 is OK, but when recording from Tuner 1, Tuner 2 is unable to be recorded.

Any advice much appreciated.

I'm unwilling at the moment to replace it - I live in France and would prefer to see how reception of 2E goes if (and when) it goes up.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Check the link cable, only one tuner is needed to record two from the same transponder so if this is faulty tuner 2 will not be used. If that's OK try a factory reset.

g8vkv

Standard Member
Check the link cable, only one tuner is needed to record two from the same transponder so if this is faulty tuner 2 will not be used. If that's OK try a factory reset.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I actually did a factory reset when the fault first appeared - no effect, unfortunately.

When it's connected with ..

LNB -> T1 in
T1 out -> T2

... then both T1 and T2 show the same strength/quality (SQ), so I guess the link cable is OK.

When I connect to T1 only (no link cable), T1 shows good SQ.

When I connect to T2 only (no other cables), T2 shows good SQ.

I've also tried setting the Antenna with "single cable", "two cables same" and "two cables different" with no effect.

It's got all the hallmarks of a software bug, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it even so.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Odd

If you start a recording and use the channel up/down button do you only get channels on the same transponder.

g8vkv

Standard Member
OK - update.

Again, thanks for the reply - it got me thinking.

I recalled the memory of a place where I used to work which, on the side of an intermittent VDU, was posted a message "if problems, hit here -> X".

So - I decided to give the Humax the "drop" treatment. I raised it by about 10cm and dropped it (not a good idea with an HDD, but hey).

And it worked! All compatible channels back, recording fine.

If it "goes" again, I suppose I'll dismantle it and wiggle a few things.

Cheers
g8vkv

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
OK - update.

Again, thanks for the reply - it got me thinking.

I recalled the memory of a place where I used to work which, on the side of an intermittent VDU, was posted a message "if problems, hit here -> X".

So - I decided to give the Humax the "drop" treatment. I raised it by about 10cm and dropped it (not a good idea with an HDD, but hey).

And it worked! All compatible channels back, recording fine.

If it "goes" again, I suppose I'll dismantle it and wiggle a few things.

Cheers
g8vkv

Good news :smashin: , don't think that's in the service manual :rotfl:

zekepliskin

MartinPickering

In the days of analogue Sky there was an Amstrad model SRD5xx which had a poor quality PSU low-voltage connector. It caused a variety of symptoms - not least of which was intermittent remote control. A temporary cure was to spray the connector with WD-40 and work it up and down a dozen times to clean the contacts. A permanent cure was to solder a wire across the 0-volt pins. It might be worth a look inside the Humax for something similar.

Another possibility is a bad solder joint.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom