Question Foxsat-HDR Not Recognised by Network

WycheGnome

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have been following the various threads and advice and managed to set up my Foxsat-HDR with the Raydon Media Bundle and Nowsters' Patch to record HD unencoded.
Connecting to my home network via a TPLink unit appears to work and the Foxsat is allocated an IP address by the router.
Looking at the list of attached devices on the router there is no mention of any device with that IP address.
Using command prompt with the command telnet (IP address) eventually fails with the message 'Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed'.
Assistance in what to try next would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi
I have been following the various threads and advice and managed to set up my Foxsat-HDR with the Raydon Media Bundle and Nowsters' Patch to record HD unencoded.
Connecting to my home network via a TPLink unit appears to work and the Foxsat is allocated an IP address by the router.
Looking at the list of attached devices on the router there is no mention of any device with that IP address.
Using command prompt with the command telnet (IP address) eventually fails with the message 'Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed'.
Thanks.

In the router setup - best to allocate a fixed ip address to the Foxsats MAC address.

Hi
Thanks.

Does the Foxsat respond to the command:
ping ipaddress

What sort of tplink unit do you have? Does it have power saving features and if so can they be disabled?

After you installed the full web interface for the bundle, what functions did you install? (telnet, samba, twonky?)

Thank you for the two replies.
I am now wondering whether the Foxsat is really talking to the router at all.
The TP link unit is type TL-WA860RE and is plugged into the house mains. The green signal light comes on to indicate it is talking to the router ok. There is no mention of power saving on the tp-link installation guide so I preseume it doesn't have a power saving mode.
The Foxsat is by the tp-link unit and connected by the short ethernet cable that came with the tp-link.
Originally the Foxsat showed no ethernet address but plugging in to the tp-link brought up an internet address. Might this be a default address rather than a real one?
As that ethernet address fall within the range that the router uses I entered IP addresses manually to use, one I knew wasn't used for anything else and also entered the IP address of the router and the sub-net mask. I left the DNS at the defaults of zeros.
On the router list of attached devices the Foxsat is missing; there is no unidentifed device mapped with a mac address that matches the Foxsat's 'ethernet' address. And no mention in the DHCP table either. The router is a BT home hub 5 type A.
I have enabled telnet on my computer (Windows 10) and this cannot connect to the Foxsat either. Pinging gets a 'destination host unreachable' response.
Software installed on the Foxsat is HPRSFC 1.00.21 updated 27 July 2012.
Raydon's software has been installed and the Foxsat recognises it when booting up.
Nowsters' patch installed using USB stick and works correctly as proved by HD recordings being copyable via USB stick to PC and playable on the PC.
Telnet 1.0 from Raydons has been installed using a USB stick and the files report installed ok.
Samba 2.2.12 also installed likewise and the files also report this as ok.
I have not installed twonky, nor have I been able to establish contact with the Foxsat to install the full web browser items relating to Raydon.

Gentlemen
Please don't spend any more time on this - I have now discovered that the tp-link is too far from the router (via the mains wiring) to get a reliable signal. Moving the Foxsat is not an option I'm afraid.
Nevertheless, thank you for responding.
John

Gentlemen
Please don't spend any more time on this - I have now discovered that the tp-link is too far from the router (via the mains wiring) to get a reliable signal. Moving the Foxsat is not an option I'm afraid.
Nevertheless, thank you for responding.
John

Most likely the router and the box are on different ring mains. Are you by any chance in a 3 story house.

Your best chance is to connect an advanced dual band router to the yellow port on your isp router connected to your isp router with a cat 6 cable, and switch it into modem mode, and connect a wireless bridge to the Foxsat ethernet port.

A similar arrangement with a Virgin Superhub and a Asus router allows me to connect anywhere in my house garden and immediate neighbours.

I see BT are offering a service guaranteed to cover your whole property.

...I have now discovered that the tp-link is too far from the router (via the mains wiring) to get a reliable signal.
The device you said you're using, the TP-Link TL-WA860RE, is a wireless range extender. It has no powerline networking functions, so mains wiring doesn't come into it in any way, shape or form.

As long as the signal strength LED is green, then the unit is connected to your router.

As that ethernet address fall within the range that the router uses I entered IP addresses manually to use, one I knew wasn't used for anything else...
If you've set the IP address manually on the Foxsat then of course it won't show up on the DHCP list on the router. That'll only happen if the router has assigned the Foxsat an address via DHCP.

Whatever IP address you've set must be on the same subnet as the addresses being handed out by the router, if it isn't then other devices on your network won't be able to see it. Best leave DHCP enabled on the Foxsat unless you really know what you're doing.

Thank you both for the responses.
Living on a hillside the house is effectively three storeys as the fuse board is in the garage which is under the house. Then two floors above with the Freesat unit on the top level. I already have BT Whole-home. I'll investigate the possibilities of a wireless bridge.
I'll also switch the Freesat unit back to DHCP enabled.

As Ensor said, which mains circuit the TL-WA860RE is plugged into is irrelevant. It is a WiFi extender not a powerline extender. Simplistically it picks up the WiFi signal direct from your router and re-transmits it. It also provides an Ethernet socket to connect to the remote device.

As Ensor said, go back to using DHCP, a DNS of zero's will not work.
Manual settings are only offered when the DHCP server fails to respond.

Having switched back to DHCP the Foxsat picks up an IP address that clearly does not come from the router as the number is outside the range of thise available.
The Whole Home system does not appear to allocate IP addresses itself but merely relays ones from the router.
The effect is no usable connection to the house network.

Having switched back to DHCP the Foxsat picks up an IP address that clearly does not come from the router as the number is outside the range of thise available.
What IP address is the Foxsat picking up? Does it start "169.254.xxx.xxx" by any chance? If so that's a "link local" aka "AutoIP" address it's assigned itself as it can't get a response from a DHCP server.

What are you expecting to see, something like "192.168.xxx.xxx" would be usual?

The Whole Home system does not appear to allocate IP addresses itself but merely relays ones from the router.
That would be the way things work, yes. The "Whole Home" system is simply a mesh network connected to your router, nothing more.

OK, I've had a look at the user manual for your TP-Link unit. You realise it has its own DHCP server built in, which is enabled by default? The first thing you need to do is to disable it, otherwise it'll be handing out IP addresses to anything connected to it, rather than forwarding the DHCP requests to your router (BT Home Hub?).

Secondly, by default it's set up as a range extender. You don't need this as you already have the "Whole Home" mesh network running. You'd be better off reconfiguring it as a wireless adapter (as described in section 4.1 of the manual) and connecting directly to the router's wi-fi if possible rather than the mesh network.

Thank you Ensor for your last post on this. I hadn't been aware that the TP-Link was (or could) acting as a DHCP server. It took some while to get it in contact with the network and then contact its admin function to turn off the DHCP (it had been 'auto'). Once done the Foxsat gained an IP address that was part of the house network without any further problem.
Have now, therefore, been able to finish loading Raydon's software and the full web interface for it. And that solves the problem I started this thread for.
Thank you all.

Glad to have been able to help. Troubleshooting networking issues can be frustrating to say the least...believe me, I learnt the hard way (head...wall...bang). :D

Troubleshooting networking issues can be frustrating to say the least
Especially when attempted via the medium of a forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom