• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Foxsat HDR HDD requires format!

caldirun

I had a programmed recording of Tour de France due to record this afternoon, I got home around 17:00 to see Custom firmware V4.0.7 displayed. I turned on and saw a "HDD needs format YES" request so I powered down at the back then back on again, still the same message. I removed the drive and fitted another one, it formatted and worked ok. I checked the other on my PC, no problems but the music, photos and opt partition was not listed.
I have since refitted the old HDD and formatted it (after rescuing my needed files) it seems to be working ok.
I have had the Foxsat for about a year and this is the first time I have seen this problem, anyone else seen this?
On a positive note when I reinstalled the web interface all my channel lists were reloaded and even the recording schedule, I did not expect this, a nice surprise!

caldirun

From my own experience I would think that the old HDD is definitely about to expire

Luckily you have managed to rescue all of your required files before RIP

I returned my failed drive for a replacement under warranty and I wouldn't waste your time on it as I unfortunately did, mainly because I hadn't backed up my files :rolleyes:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...dr-formatting-will-start-message-boot-up.html

I have just read your very long thread re recovery of data, it is a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD that is giving me trouble (I had one die in my PC about 2 years ago, this is the second one I bought at the same time). I am now expecting more problems but with the Olympics starting I think it is time for a new HDD!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I have just read your very long thread re recovery of data, it is a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD that is giving me trouble (I had one die in my PC about 2 years ago, this is the second one I bought at the same time). I am now expecting more problems but with the Olympics starting I think it is time for a new HDD!

PC drives eventually cause problems in pvrs. You need a CE (Consumer Electronics) type drive.

eg

WD AV-GP 1 TB - Hard drive - internal - 3.5" - Serial ATA-600

JIMMYBO

So that's THREE Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drive failures that we now know of when installed in a Foxsat HDR (mine lasted 18 months)

I returned mine to Seagate for a refurbished replacement (which I won't be installing in the Foxsat- lol) under warranty.
They agreed that the drive had failed.
You can check your HD warranty here - use the SN + HDD P/N number:

Warranty Validation

Looks like conclusive evidence to me that the drive is not suited for this pvr purpose :rolleyes:

Update: I've just checked the replacement refurbished drive warranty and I'm still covered 'till 2014 :smashin:

Last edited:

caldirun

So that's THREE Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drive failures that we now know of when installed in a Foxsat HDR (mine lasted 18 months)

Looks like conclusive evidence to me that the drive is not suited for this pvr purpose :rolleyes:
:

I don't know about conclusive evidence, I fitted the drive in my original Foxsat in Dec 2008 and moved it to my new Foxsat last year so its done 3.5 years in a PVR, the other Spinpoint only lived 12 months in a PC, this could be conclusive evidence that they are better suited to a PVR but are quite poor drives.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom