Foxsat-HDR FTP and telnet working

mogie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have managed to get a FTP server and telnet server running on the Humax Foxsat-HDR. I am using the device in non-freesat mode, and therefore i want to have more EPG and scheduling functionality. I started with adding telnet, and tried to set scheduled recording without the Humax software (the regular GUI). I did not succeeded in this yet, i hope someone maybe has a better idea about it.

However, i have got telnet and FTP working on the Foxsat. Therfore i want to share this with this forum:

I have attached a hdf-file (in a rar-file), which is ready to use. Unrar, and place this file on a USB stick and connected it to the Foxsat device (in standby, front USB-port). Then push the power button (front-button) and KEEP it pressed until the download screen appears. Let the device finish until END shows up on the display. Turn off the device (back-button), unplug the USB-stick and power on the device again (with back-button). It will now start and stay in standby-mode, after this it can be turned on as normal with the front button or remote.

There you have it: FTP and Telnet. Login with FTP as user HumaxFTP and pasword 0000 (default). Telnet has no login at all. I did use FileZilla as FTP client and Putty as telnet client. You can now turn off telnet and change the FTP password. In the Music folder you wil find a SETUP folder that will contain two folders named TELNET and 0000. If you want to turn off telnet delete the TELNET folder, and restore the folder if you want it back (has to be capitals, and you need to reboot). If you want to change the FTP password change the folder with the 4 digits into another value, but keep in mind it can only be 4 digits. The password is changed after a reboot. You can change the SETUP folder with FTP or on the Humax box with the remote (file-manager).

There is little danger i trying this mod, you can switch back to the original firmware anytime. Just download it from Humax and deploy it the same way as described above (rename it to FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf). I have done this myself many times, the box did always return in the original state. Ofcourse, i still want to say that if you want to use this modification, it is at you own risk.

I have only modified the open-source Linux BusyBox file-system and not the Humax software.

Download it at:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Enjoy...

WOW :smashin:

Welcome to AVF and thanks for a post that was almost meaningless to me but no doubt helpful to others!

Does this only work in Non-Freesat mode?

Does this change all the Humax software etc?

This modification has nothing to do with freesat or non-freesat operation mode, it simply ADDS telnet and FTP functionality to the Foxsat box. The box and all other software keeps working as it does, but with this modification recorded programs can be downloaded from (or uploaded to) the box to your local PC with the FTP protocol. As you may know, the .ts-files can be viewed directly with VLC-player. I already did have telnet working almost a year ago (then stopped working at it), but just recently added FTP functionality. Because many people probably would like have to access the Humax over FTP, i have started this thread.

htigqg.jpg

21ozz29.jpg

thanks, this is excellent.

Using telnet, I think I have found where the recording schedule data is
/mnt/hd1/reserve.info contains a list CRIDS

and
/mnt/hd2/fsatepg/epg.dat contains the epg data

How long before someone takes this to the next level and adds a http server to this image and then you could view your planned recordings/epg data from your browser etc ....

WOW

Few questions:
- Is it any easy mod that you are confident to make when the next firmware comes along ?
- Did this come from experience on the iCord, I know they had worked out how to get into that.
- Do you experience any issues with performance of the HDR during an FTP transfer ?

Hi. Please can you post some technical info on how you did this (or alternatively email me)? I briefly looked into the firmware file format but didn't get very far.

Thanks!

Hello,

I have managed to get a FTP server and telnet server running on the Humax Foxsat-HDR. I

Enjoy...

Will this get wiped when the next OTA download happens (If it ever does)?

Frank

WOW! & OMG! spring to mind... :thumbsup: :clap: :D

Thank you SO much for your efforts on this Mogie. THE most useful addition to my Foxsat HDR since I bought it and it wasn't even by Humax!! :D

Colin

Another little plus I noticed was that I also have access to my connected USB 320Gb drive (under sda1) aswell which means that I don't even have to bother to unplug that now either for archiving purposes. Excellent! :)

I have a complaint :D, I now have to connect my hdr to my network, having not bothered. (I have virgin media vod). Brilliant piece of work. :smashin:

I have a complaint :D, I now have to connect my hdr to my network, having not bothered.
ROTFL! :laugh:

Now, if we can have FTP, it must just need another tweak to implement DNLA and then I can have direct playback from my HDR through to the Bravia in the bedroom? ;) (maybe????..... ;) )

:thumbsup: Two Good news items in one day.. FTP for the HDR and me finally getting round to joining AVForums. :hiya: :D

But seriously good work mogie

Welcome to AVF then. Good that someone else understands all this - I don't.

ftp file transfer protocol. It makes the internal hdd in the hdr accessible to any pc on your network essentially as if you extracted the drive and connected it to a PC (no need to bust the warranty :D). Fancy watching a SD recording made on your hdr while on holiday and you have internet access, simply copy it to your laptop. It has the potential to let you set up recordings from anywhere. Want to watch a recording made on the hdr on a dnla equipped TV no problem or on a PC somewhere. If you wan't to upload a video you just created on your PC with the aid of AV2HDR no problem just zap it across your network, no messing with usb or EXT3 formatting, no 4GB file size limits. There must be loads of other potential uses.

Thanks for the welcome logiciel :hiya:

I think I may need some pointers on the FTP program Filezilla I'm trying to get it to see my NAS as at some point I'm hoping to direct the content of my HDR to there.

If you wan't to upload a video you just created on your PC with the aid of AV2HDR no problem just zap it across your network, no messing with usb or EXT3 formatting, no 4GB file size limits.
Damn! I was completely forgetting about that gem of a program!! This just gets better and better and better.... :smashin:

@swedish cook
- Is it any easy mod that you are confident to make when the next firmware comes along?
It took some time to figure it all out and get it working, but if you know how it's not hard to create new hdf-image files. So new modification can easely be made.

- Did this come from experience on the iCord, I know they had worked out how to get into that.
I owe a big fat thank you to all the guys working on cracking the Humax iCord, i could not been succesful without all the infomation I have found about the techniques they have used.

- Do you experience any issues with performance of the HDR during an FTP transfer?
No, it is very fast and all works fine while transfering files

@davestubbs
- Can you post some technical info on how you did this?
Like I mentioned above, I have borrowed the techniques and experience from cracking the Humax iCord. In many ways the iCord is identical to the Foxsat, it uses the same CPU for example. You can find many (if not all) information about the iCord on the website Portal - iCordForum, it really showed me the way. If there is interest (and it seems there is), i will post a short manual soon, about how the original firmware can be modified.

@Frank1471
- Will this get wiped when the next OTA download happens (If it ever does)?
It probably will, but if the box gets updated, the above procedure can be repeated and the modification will be restored

@castalla
Any idea if a similar project exists for the Technisat boxes?
No, I really don't know. Seems to me the Humax and Technisat modifing techniques are not interchangeable.

I think I may need some pointers on the FTP program Filezilla I'm trying to get it to see my NAS as at some point I'm hoping to direct the content of my HDR to there.
Ok I've figured out the first part, looks like I'm going to have to transfer in separate stages, HDR > PC and then PC > NAS. My NAS software may enable me to carry out the second stage whilst the first is still in progress via Filezilla.

ftp file transfer protocol.
Yes, I knew that and I've been using it for ages, and using Filezilla, for managing my web site. What I didn't know was that it had anything to do with satellite TV, so thanks to you and to the thread for expanding my knowledge. :thumbsup:

Yes, I knew that and I've been using it for ages, and using Filezilla, for managing my web site. What I didn't know was that it had anything to do with satellite TV, so thanks to you and to the thread for expanding my knowledge. :thumbsup:

It has absolutely nothing to do with satellite TV, its just one way to transfer a file from computer A to computer B - in this case computer A is your Humax HDR.

If you though it was just a TV recorder you'd be wrong, its a little PC ... but all they programmed it to do was record TV, and some of the hardware in it is specific to recording TV too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom