Foxsat-HDR file transfer problems.

Joe Fonebone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just received my new Foxsat-HDR yesterday and am hoping people can help with a few queries.
The computer I am using is a Mac Mini:
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7,
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

I have tried copying SD and HD files to a 32Gb USB stick formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32). SD files are no problem, they transfer and play back fine via VLC on my Mac. The problem is with recorded HD programmes. When the transfer is complete an icon appears which seems to indicate that copying is not permitted despite the fact that the HD files do appear to copy to the USB stick.

filemanager.jpg

When plugging the USB stick into my Mac the SD and HD files appear as follows;

humaxfiles.jpg

When playing back the HD files via VLC after copying them to my main drive, the picture moves on for 10 seconds and then freezes. The clock which indicates how much time has played never moves from 00:00. Handbrake does not recognise the HD .ts file and so I'm unable to carry out a file conversion. Can anyone help please?

Two other things I've noticed when using the Foxsat;

1 - When I used to watch a channel 'live' using my old Topfield PVR I used to be able to rewind using the TSR and then record from the rewound point in time. Can anyone confirm that this isn't possible on the Freesat?
2 - The volume control will mute on HD channels but won't allow the volume to be adjusted as it does on SD channels. Is this correct?

Advice / help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 You can't rewind the buffer and record from there with a Foxsat-hdr

2 HD files recorded in Freesat mode are encrypted, only the box that recorded them will play them back. You can also only copy them once, once copied you get the restricted copy flag. Amongst other options the custom firmware lets you reset the flag or just copy the files directly to a computer.

3 The volume control situation is normal, HD channels use Dolby Digital audio . Turn off Dolby Digital audio in the HDR's TV setup menu to force the box to downmix DD to lpcm stereo output which should restore the hdrs volume control capability for HD channels.

:blush:The HDR encrypts HD recordings and they are only playable on YOUR HDR (a freesat requirement :eek:) .
You can record in non freesat mode without encryption as the transmission isn't encrypted.

Fat32 is limited to 4GB file size so not ideal for HD. Consider using a ext3 formatted drive. Or better still install raydons customised firmware and transfer via network to pc.

I think the HDR will only record from the current point in time.

HD channels use Dolby Digital for sound and if this is outputted is not adjustable, there is an option to turn off surround sound if you are not using it and the box will output PCM (stereo) audio which is adjustable.
This is not unique to the HDR but purely because the box is outputting the audio as is for decoding by a surround amplifier.

Hope this helps.

Snap GLT. :rotfl: So who's the quickest typist? :blush:

Last edited:
Snap GLT. :rotfl: So who's the quickest typist? :blush:

Probably you :D Strictly a 1 fingered typist.

It's 30C here in Murcia Espana, watching Corrie pt2 at 2300 hrs (ITV1+1) found on lcn 437 (Polaris World distribution system). Max speed about 2Mbps, back to 20Mbps Saturday :rotfl:

The OP might want to try the free version of Easeus Partition Manager that can partition drives and format EXT3 in Windows.

Last edited:
Thanks to grahamlthompson & Railway for the prompt help, much appreciated.

The HDR encrypts HD recordings and they are only playable on YOUR HDR (a freesat requirement ) .
Does this then mean that if I'd got a Freeview recorder instead I would have been able to copy files without the encryption shenanigans?
You can record in non freesat mode without encryption as the transmission isn't encrypted.
I'm clueless on this I'm afraid. Would I get the HD channels in non-Freesat mode? If so would I need any extra equipment given I get my signals from a communal aerial?

Being able to rewind the buffer and record from that point was a real boon and not being able to do it on a more modern device appears to me to be tech taking a step backwards.
The reason for the initial query was that I was hoping to take screencaps from HD programmes but you both appear to be saying that it won't be possible. I'm beginning to wonder why I bought the Foxsat now, especially as I have a HD Freeview TV set. Bit gutted to be honest and I don't think I'll be recommending Humax to friends and family as things stand, too many annoyances.

*Oh and just for the record the Topfield I've got is a TF5800PVR. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Does this then mean that if I'd got a Freeview recorder instead I would have been able to copy files without the encryption shenanigans?
I'm clueless on this I'm afraid. Would I get the HD channels in non-Freesat mode? If so would I need any extra equipment given I get my signals from a communal aerial?

Being able to rewind the buffer and record from that point was a real boon and not being able to do it on a more modern device appears to me to be tech taking a step backwards.
The reason for the initial query was that I was hoping to take screencaps from HD programmes but you both appear to be saying that it won't be possible. I'm beginning to wonder why I bought the Foxsat now, especially as I have a HD Freeview TV set. Bit gutted to be honest and I don't think I'll be recommending Humax to friends and family as things stand, too many annoyances.

If you read the posts, your complaints are with Freesat not Humax.

Freeview-HD is also encrypted. The HDR FOX T2 will record the buffer. The most likely reason for no buffer recording is that the file isn't encrypted - you can copy the timeshift buffer file to a PC using the custom firmware (this also gives you encryption free HD).

To use non freesat use the manual tune option in the menus. Use the default settings and search. This leaves you in non-freesat and gives you an extra menu option to switch nodes

To use non freesat use the manual tune option in the menus. Use the default settings and search. This leaves you in non-freesat and gives you an extra menu option to switch nodes

You need to put it into standby and power it on again to make non-freesat mode record unencrypted each time you switch to non-freesat mode.

I find there are work arounds for most ot the "problems", try using the custom firmware.

GLT, enjoy the last day of your holiday. :smashin:

Given that nearly 12 years ago the original Tivo automatically included the buffer when pressing record without any need to rewind at all I'd say the UI is definitely heading backwards

If you read the posts, your complaints are with Freesat not Humax.
Fair point. Ultimately of course it's down to me for not doing all the said research before buying the Foxsat. :blush:

Thanks for all the useful replies.
It's interesting that the HDR FOX T2 will record the buffer however it's Freeview and so doesn't cover some of the channels I'm interested in ie NHK World HD.
As I say I'm new to Humax so I'll have do a bit of research. I've looked at the Manual Tune options and I've no idea how to use them I'm afraid. At the risk of appearing increasingly thick, would I be right in thinking that the 'custom firmware' mentioned is the Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4.0?

As I say I'm new to Humax so I'll have do a bit of research. I've looked at the Manual Tune options and I've no idea how to use them I'm afraid. At the risk of appearing increasingly thick, would I be right in thinking that the 'custom firmware' mentioned is the Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4.0?

Manual tune:
When the program required is about to start (and being tuned to the required channel) just press the red record button on the remote, press again so you can adjust recording time from the default 2 hours if required. Change channel (from guide) if there's another program you wish to record at the same time and repeat.

The Media & File Server Bundle is what's being mentioned.

Persevere it's not too bad. :)

Last edited:

2 HD files recorded in Freesat mode are encrypted, only the box that recorded them will play them back. You can also only copy them once, once copied you get the restricted copy flag. Amongst other options the custom firmware lets you reset the flag or just copy the files directly to a computer.

How do you reset the restricted copy flag using the custom firmware?

Think GT means AV2HDR.
A copy with ftp or samba will take no notice at all of the flags.

Thanks for the quick response.

The only trouble I find with ftp or Samba transfers is they take about three times longer than the Humax copy function.

You can't, I think Graham meant you can reset the flag in Raydons AV2HDR program. :smashin:

Edit:- Beaten to it... ;)

Correct - don't you need the custom firmware to install ftp on the Humax first, before the ftp capability of AV2HDR will work.

Correct - don't you need the custom firmware to install ftp on the Humax first, before the ftp capability of AV2HDR will work.
Yep if you were to transfer via FTP. I think though you can do it using a USB stick too. :p

Have nice holiday then Graham?

edit :- just thinking now maybe you can't via USB

Last edited:
Yep if you were to transfer via FTP. I think though you can do it using a USB stick too. :p

Have nice holiday then Graham?

edit :- just thinking now maybe you can't via USB

Thanks GC - yep had a great time but boy was it hot. Hit 42C some days.

I cannot find a link to a working copy of AV2HDR for the Mac.
It is mentioned in the 'AV2HDR v1.5 with FTP Transfer' thread however no link is given. A search of the Forum brought up the 'AV2HDR for Mac' thread from 2010 but the linking page is in no way relevant. Tried Google and found a thread on the hummy.tv site that has a downloadable file in the 'AV2HDR V1.6 and V1.4 Download Links' thread but nothing happens when I try to use it and I strongly suspect that this is because my Mac Mini uses Intel processors and the original V1.4 file is now incompatible with Intel. Mono Framework has been installed.
Can anyone assist please? Cheers.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom