foxsat hdr fails to boot

deezel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

turned on the foxsat tonight and it was taking ages to boot, after 5 minutes I turned the unit off then on, now all I get is the red light but it will not respond at all either with the remote or at the unit controls

Any ideas I can try ?

If it's not under warranty remove the lid and disconnect the Hard Disc. Will it boot without the disc ?

Don't know if it's related but my box is crashing requiring a hard reset every time i open the programme guide tonight :-(

It boots fine though until the guide is next opened.

Have you tried unplugging from the mains? Using the on box buttons etc?

Don't know if it's related but my box is crashing requiring a hard reset every time i open the programme guide tonight :-(

It boots fine though until the guide is next opened.

Have you tried unplugging from the mains? Using the on box buttons etc?

Yep tried that and no go

If it's not under warranty remove the lid and disconnect the Hard Disc. Will it boot without the disc ?

No warranty now as I've upgraded the internal hard drive.

I'll give that a try

graham I disconnected the hd and it turns on blue with boot message in the unit window but after a minute turns itself off and goes back to red standby light

I reconnected the hd, the unit turns on again but hangs with boot message in the unit window

graham I disconnected the hd and it turns on blue with boot message in the unit window but after a minute turns itself off and goes back to red standby light

If (like me) you had it disconnected from the TV - it puts up a message requiring an OK and if shuts down if it does not get a reply.

If (like me) you had it disconnected from the TV - it puts up a message requiring an OK and if shuts down if it does not get a reply.

ok I'll disconnect the hd again and then reconnect to the tv

Ok its booted up but with the tv screen message no or bad signal and no internal hd

Ok its booted up but with the tv screen message no or bad signal and no internal hd

Other than checking the LNB connection I don't know what to suggest - I was OK at this point and my guess is that this caused by corruption in flash memory somewhere - May be an idea to re-flash the firmware.

i've put back the original hd and all is ok so I guess the 1tb hd i upgraded to has had it :(

i've put back the original hd and all is ok so I guess the 1tb hd i upgraded to has had it :(

Maybe not - reflash the firmware then wait for further support.

GT - know you follow this forum - I remember someone had found a way of clearing some partitions and retaining reocrdings and cannot find it back now (think it was on my humax forum)?

Maybe not - reflash the firmware then wait for further support.

GT - know you follow this forum - I remember someone had found a way of clearing some partitions and retaining reocrdings and cannot find it back now (think it was on my humax forum)?

Yes it was, the poster attached the drive to a PC (using EXT2FS). He formatted all the partitions except the Video one (ntfs I think). He installed the drive back in Foxsat and got the usual auto format on boot. After the boot the recordings were intact. Surprised the hell out of me :D, but definetely worth a punt in this case as the symptoms were identical.

Ok, after changing back to the original unit hd everything was working ok until the unit froze on the 'guide' page; I re flashed the firmware and everything worked ok and recorded a prog last night.

Today I re tried the 1tb hd in the unit and back to square one. When the unit is turned on from back it immediately goes into boot where it freezes. I cannot get it in to standby to reflash the firmware either

so, any ideas :confused: or is the 1tb hd naff?

Ok, after changing back to the original unit hd everything was working ok until the unit froze on the 'guide' page; I re flashed the firmware and everything worked ok and recorded a prog last night.

Today I re tried the 1tb hd in the unit and back to square one. When the unit is turned on from back it immediately goes into boot where it freezes. I cannot get it in to standby to reflash the firmware either

so, any ideas :confused: or is the 1tb hd naff?

To find out you need to connect it to a PC using EXT2FS or running Linux by usb or esata.

Use a sata drive cradle

eg

S35DC Docking Station 3.5" & 2.5" SATA Hard Drive USB2 & e-SATA w/ eSATA Adapter

or a universal drive cable

Sandberg USB All-in-1 Hard Disk Link

If you can open and read the 3rd partitions video folder.

You can copy all your recordings to a safe place.

You can now try right clicking the other partitions and choosing format.

Now try installing the drive back in your hdr. No guarantees but this worked fine for another poster.

If this doesn't work you can try deleting all the partitions.

Free Download Magic Partition Manager freeware: EaseUS Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy and Partition Recovery Software. is the easiest way.

Now format the entire disc and re-install. Hopefully the hdr will format it for you. If you now have a working hdr remove the disc connect to your PC and copy back all the recording files. Failing that you can do the same with a new drive.

Hi

thanks for the info

I guess the thinking behind this is that the hd has been corrupted in some way

If that is so and it can be retrieved what is to stop it happening again?

Are there any theorys as to what may have caused the problem?

Since the reflashing of the firmware seem to correct some of the problems are we to summise that the firmware has something do do with it?

Seems a lot of graft to fix a sympton without necessarily finding a cause.

In theory could buy a new hd or retrieve the old one and the same happen again :rolleyes:

Presumably the latest humax firmware can be found on the humax site.

Maybe its worth putting that back on and abandoning raydon

Any thoughts

Last edited:
Hi

thanks for the info

Since the reflashing of the firmware seem to correct some of the problems are we to summise that the firmware has something do do with it?

In theory could buy a new hd or retrieve the old one and the same happen again :rolleyes:

Any thoughts

Well so far only seen the problem twice and the first one never mentioned Raydon's firmware it's hard to imagine that's implicated.

What drive did you fit to replace the original (Was it a a CE design ?)

Hi

thanks for the info

Any thoughts

raydons firmware contains Humax's settop application and will make no difference at all.

My guess is that somehow the data on the disk has become currupt on the partition that contains the linux system and settop appication. A copy of this is also contained in flash memory and is initally written to when flashing firmware. If the firmware version on disk is out of date (or not present) the firmware also copies the system to disk and uses this copy in future.

So reflashing with the 1tb in could cure the problem.
If not, then follow GT's method - I would bet a beer that you 1tb is fine.

No idea on cause, electrical spike possible.
Most of the HD is protected from writing by the Linux mount command and flash memory is 'Locked' for writing. So it should be secure.

So reflashing with the 1tb in could cure the problem.
If not, then follow GT's method - I would bet a beer that you 1tb is fine.

I'd like to try the reflashing with the 1tb present but as said earlier I cannot get the unit into standby.

Its either off completely or frozen in boot mode.

Any ideas for achieving standby?

Failing this its I guess the other route

Well so far only seen the problem twice and the first one never mentioned Raydon's firmware it's hard to imagine that's implicated.

What drive did you fit to replace the original (Was it a a CE design ?)

Yes it is a Western Digital WD AVGP WD10EUCX Hard drive 1 TB internal 35 SATA600 buffer 16 MB WD10EUCX Components Internal Hard Drives

Manufacturer's Description
WD AV-GP SATA hard drives store more hi-def audio and video than ever before - up to 3 Tb. They are optimised with SilkStream technology to capture data from up to 12 simultaneous HD video streams. And with 24x7 operation, low temperature, and best-in-class reliability, WD AV-GP hard drives are ideal for DVR/PVR and video surveillance applications.

I'd like to try the reflashing with the 1tb present but as said earlier I cannot get the unit into standby.

Its either off completely or frozen in boot mode.

Any ideas for achieving standby?

Failing this its I guess the other route
I assume you tried - power off - USB flash in - hold standby - power on?

I assume you tried - power off - USB flash in - hold standby - power on?

yup, tried that, no go

tried it again now and it goes straight to boot but apparently loads the firmware finishing with 'end' but still returns frozen boot mode when powering on again:(

yup, tried that, no go

tried it again now and it goes straight to boot but apparently loads the firmware finishing with 'end' but still returns frozen boot mode when powering on again:(

Last thought - Power off - remove sata lead and power - power up - OK to message - standby - power off - reconnect HD - power on.

Wait 30 secs each time.

Last thought - Power off - remove sata lead and power - power up - OK to message - standby - power off - reconnect HD - power on.

Wait 30 secs each time.

tried that got standby, re flashed now system boots but message 'internal hdd is not available' 'please check your hdd'

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom