Foxsat HDR - drive problem....

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chalkstorm, Dec 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all
    After wasting hours of my life trying to install a 1.5tb drive and getting totally lost around various versions of linux, I've admitted defeat and put my original drive back in.
    Why is the Humax saying it needs formatting when the drive has been out and in again. Only thing I've done was let the Humax try and format a 1.5tb drive, and after waiting hours, gave up.
    Really do not want to format the oringal drive as it is full of stuff I haven't yet watched.
    Any help appreciated.
    Ta
    :(

2. ADAMFOULKES

ADAMFOULKES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Why not sell your 1.5 tb drive and buy a samsung 1 Tb HDD? It will format not problem and you can use your original 320gb drive in a USB caddy and still watch your programmes.
    Ad:)

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    The Foxsat will only auto format a drive up to 1TB. Larger than that you have to set up the file system yourself. See this post

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/1336395-humax-foxsat-hdr-upgrade-hdd-2tb.html

You can do it all in windows using the free version of Easeus Partition Manager.

Free Partition Magic alternative & free Partition Manager Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server - EaseUS.

If you install your original drive in a caddy like this one you can replay the recordings by connecting the drive to one of the hdr's usb ports. The same caddy will let you set up the 1.5TB drive on your PC.

S35DC Docking Station 3.5" & 2.5" SATA Hard Drive USB2 & e-SATA w/ eSATA Adapter

EXT2FSD will let you read and write to EXT3 in windows.

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks guys. Tried EaseUS - but was struggling to format the largest partition. Ended up pulling a 1TB drive out of my server -and it is now working in the Humax... and the original drive is working perfectly as the external!

Looking back, I'm beginning to suspect a dodgy USB cable between the PC and sharkoon caddy...

Am happy again!