Foxsat-HDR auto-install and channel-editor

mogie

Standard Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS PACKAGE IS NOW REPLACED BY THE MEDIA-BUNDLE PACKAGE UPDATE, WHICH INCORPORATES ALL FUNCTIONALITY OF THIS PACKAGE AND IS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a while since i have posted something here; I have a nice new TV with build in DVB-S2 so my Humax is not my main satellite device anymore. It is great to see that others have picked up the develoment of new functionality on the Foxsat, well done Raydon and others.

I have created a new firmware file with an auto-install function. This means an new program can get installed by inserting a USB stick with a tar file, including the new application. This way installation of new programs is easier and others can make installer-files.

Download (OBSOLETE):
Megaupload.com
4Shared.com

The zip-package contains:

In directory Foxsat:
FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf: firmware
FOXSAT-HDR_install_telnet.tar.gz: telnet server installer
FOXSAT-HDR_install_ftp.tar.gz: FTP server installer
FOXSAT-HDR_install_samba.tar.gz: Samba server installer (thanks Raydon)
FOXSAT-HDR_install_twonky.tar.gz: Twonky DLNA-server installer (also Raydon)
FOXSAT-HDR_install_channeleditor.tar.gz channel list export/import installer
FOXSAT-HDR_uninstall.tar.gz: un-installs all previous installed programs

In directory Windows:
ChannelEditor.exe: Windows program to edit Foxsat-HDR channel-list (only tested on Windows Vista)

Installation of the firmware is as usual:
After unzipping, place this file on a USB stick and connected it to the Foxsat device (in standby, front USB-port). Then push the power button (front-button) and KEEP it pressed until the download screen appears. Let the device finish until END shows up on the display. Turn off the device (back-button), unplug the USB-stick and power on the device again (with back-button). It will now start and stay in standby-mode, after this it can be turned on as normal with the front button or remote. The device is now configured to auto-install the other (tar.gz) files.

Installation of programs:
Copy the included install-files containing the programs you want to install to the USB-stick. These files have a names like "FOXSAT-HDR_install_*.tar.gz", if you want to install Samba just copy "FOXSAT-HDR_install_samba.tar.gz" to the USB-stick. You can copy all installer-files together or as many as you like, the applications will get installed all in once. If the uninstall file (FOXSAT-HDR_uninstall.tar.gz) is also included on the USB-stick (together with the installer-files), previous programs will get removed before the new programs get installed. Please wait untill installation is done, it does not take very long but the Humax will reboot itself, this is normal.

But you can also put all the files together on a USB-stick (firmware and installer-files), and update the firmware and leave the USB-stick connected then. It will install everything (the programs) at first boot.

The most interresting part is the possibility to edit the channels on the Foxsat. You have to install the "FOXSAT-HDR_install_channeleditor.tar.gz" installer-file, this will extract the channel data from flash-memory and also will write modified data back. This way you also can backup you current channel list. After installation the channel-editor installer, you will find the file "FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl" in the location "/media/Channels" on the Humax. You will have to retrieve this file with FTP or Samba. I have build a Windows program to edit this channel list (ChannelEditor.exe).

With the "ChannelEditor.exe" program you can drag and drop the channels, switch channels from Freesat to non-Freesat, renumber them (even from 1), rename them, etc. After finishing the channel list with this program, save the new list to "FOXSAT-HDR_channels_update.fcl" and copy it to "/media/Channels" on the Foxsat again. Turn off the Humax now (as normal) and reboot, the new channel-list will be stored and loaded.

Once again: There is little danger i trying this mod, you can switch back to the original firmware anytime. Just download it from Humax and deploy it the same way as described above (rename it to FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf). However: if you want to use this modification, it is at you own risk.

Any bugs or problems can be posted in this thread, so i can try to fix them.

USERNAME FOR FTP IS NOW: root (no password)
telnet and samba also have no password.

THIS PACKAGE IS NOW REPLACED BY THE MEDIA-BUNDLE PACKAGE UPDATE, WHICH INCORPORATES ALL FUNCTIONALITY OF THIS PACKAGE AND IS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE.

SEE: Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Update

LATEST CHANNEL-EDITOR V0.3: download

Last edited:
wow just wow, worked perfect :) can't belive I can stick non-freesat channels into freesat just amazing !

Help, can't FTP my stb anymore. I've applied the firmware update then afterwards put just the channel editor update onto a usb stick and installed that, or at least I think it installed. But as I say I can't ftp the box so I can't tell if the last update was successful.

Help, can't FTP my stb anymore. I've applied the firmware update then afterwards put just the channel editor update onto a usb stick and installed that, or at least I think it installed. But as I say I can't ftp the box so I can't tell if the last update was successful.
I'm guessing the new update overwrites EVERYTHING, so you have to put all the other tars on there too? (Telnet, FTP, Samba, Twonky).

I haven't tried it, I'm at work, so just a guess.

Edit : Maybe not, I just re-read the bit about the uninstaller file removing the programs :-(

Last edited:
Hi Les, good to hear from you, been a while since the DS days.

I'll bear it in mind, but was under the impression we could just pick and choose which apps could be installed and as I already had the FTP etc loaded it would work fine. I'll bide my time for a bit until someone can confirm or elsewise my thoughts.

edit can't telnet either, I'll try installing all.

Last edited:
Hi Les, good to hear from you, been a while since the DS days.
Hi GC, yeah, I don't work from home any more, so get very limited time to "play" let alone make meaningful contributions.

I'll bear it in mind, but was under the impression we could just pick and choose which apps could be installed and as I already had the FTP etc loaded it would work fine. I'll bide my time for a bit until someone can confirm or elsewise my thoughts.
Yes, see my edit, I think like you, it seems that existing programs would be left intact if not including the uninstaller file.

I just tried installing the remaining auto install files, we're in now.. phew!! thanks Les. :smashin:

Samba: Note the following.
Default Workgroup changed from 'HOME' (used by raydon) to 'Media' (mogie).
Shares also changed now just media (those of you that have mapped a network drive will need to delete and recreate the mapped drive.

mogie: I am having compatibility problems with the Windows 7 64 bit version. I have tried running in various compatibility modes but am getting erratic behaviour - Programs loads fine - but Windows closes it [Channel Editor has stopped working] when I try and load the fcl.

I just tried installing the remaining auto install files, we're in now.. phew!! thanks Les. :smashin:
Glad you're sorted now.

Presume you have to re-edit the samba.conf file if you changed Workgroup name, and also twonky file for the refresh time, if it's overwritten them too?

Editor not working for me within win XP service pack 3 programme runs but crashes when the fcl file is loaded

Last edited:
I've found if you edit the Original Channels it loads fine

If you try to load up a saved list (thats allready been through the channel editor) it will crash or show the channels in funny characters.

If you delete your freesat channels and non-freesat channels on your humax - do a full rescan on both - then try to edit the channels (KEEP Original Channels list safe)

it won't crash then :)

Presume you have to re-edit the samba.conf file if you changed Workgroup name, and also twonky file for the refresh time, if it's overwritten them too?

Yep scantime in twonky does indeed need resetting from the default of zero, and my workgroup has been renamed 'Samba'

@savvy249: Indeed, the old firmware/programs will not work anymore, you need to install everything you want again.

@REPASSAC, GaseousClay and mrmarky: Thanks for the info, seems that i need to do some more work on the ChannelEditor.exe

Last edited:
With the channel lists changed will it still wake up and record ok ??
Just curious if anyone has tried a timed recording with edited channel list on the box ?

Last edited:
I can get it to run on Windows 7 64 bit version but only from inside the compatability wizard.

I have been looking carefully at the channel list - I am not seeing quite what I expect - some channel names are garbage characters (possibly encrypted?) and some channels (like BBC1 SE) are not as expected not 101 or something in the 900's but 5084- others like the BBC News are.
As someone who has deleted quite a few regional channels I don't see them listed any differently than the ones I have kept.

I can get it to run on Windows 7 64 bit version but only from inside the compatability wizard.

I have been looking carefully at the channel list - I am not seeing quite what I expect - some channel names are garbage characters (possibly encrypted?) and some channels (like BBC1 SE) are not as expected not 101 or something in the 900's but 5084- others like the BBC News are.
As someone who has deleted quite a few regional channels I don't see them listed any differently than the ones I have kept.

you need to get a clean list, do a full freesat and non-freesat scan

(make sure you delete all the channels first) that gives you a un-garbage channels list - Keep that file safe and don't edit - only edit a backup of it.

Last edited:
If you got a problematic channel-list file (FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl) coming from the Foxsat-HDR please mail this file to f o x s a t . h d r (at) h o t m a i l . c o m It wil help me improving the ChannelEditor.exe program...

Raydons latest version of AV2HDR doesn't work since latest update, comes up with an error (FTP-error:530) after selecting the HDD button. Any pointers to put this right or will raydon have to reprogramme it?

Last edited:
Raydons latest version of AV2HDR doesn't work since latest update, comes up with an error (FTP-error:530) after selecting the HDD button. Any pointers to put this right or will raydon have to reprogramme it?

You need to change the ftp settings so that it uses root without a password.
It's on AV2HDR's FTP menu.

What happens with the guide when you've installed your channel editor ? Can you view listings for the non-freesat channels and schedule recordings for them ?

Awaiting reply with baited breath !!

Non-freesat channel EPG is not available in Freesat mode (and visa versa), so scheduled recording is probably not possible. However, i did not test this thoroughly, so any comments about this topic are welcome.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom