1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Video's bizarre and disturbing DVD policy

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by desade, Jan 13, 2001.

1. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are Fox playing at with their R2 DVD releases. It seems to me that they are forcing people to import the R1 versions?

Take "Stir of Echoes". Rental only release on R2 and 4.3 at that? As it was out on R1 ages ago this is obviously the way to go?

I know that when DVD was launched a few video chains were very worried about DVD being for sale at the same time as rental and Fox obviously sees this as a problem.

Anyone know the cost price for, say, "Stir of Echoes" rental version? I bet its more that £12.53 (the old cost price for £19.99 releases). I know that Fox is not the only company to do this, but is it the way of the future? I would hate to see "day and date" releases disappear just to keep a few video stores happy.

Any thoughts?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree that Fox are taking the P*ss
    when it comes to rental.I bought the beach at least 6 months before it was eventually released on R2 after a rental period.
    I don't know about everyone else but i certainly don't rent any DVD's and never will.I will always buy the R1 version of a fox title because of this problem.

If the other companies where to start doing the same then there will be a real slow down in the take up of DVD hardware, i believe one of the appealing features is the fact films appear on DVD well before the VHS release.If they take this away, then like you say more people will take up buying R1 discs.

Looks like it could be a good time to be a R1 importer....

cheers
    PH.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Personally, I think Fox are only shooting themselves in the foot, with this 6-month delay between rental and retail DVD releases. It's pointless, and has already been pointed out, only makes more people invest in Region 1 material. Hardly a way to get more people into DVD in the UK is it?

Also, whilst some of you may not rent DVD's, I have done on occasion, but more often than not, it's to see if the film and disc itself, are worth spending £15 to £20 on. I did this with "Chicken Run" and "MI 2". The former, I bought the day after renting, and have watched it at least once a week since, and is one of my fave films that I own on DVD! As for "MI 2", total waste of time and money! Both John Woo and Tom Cruise can do better, and even the final half-hour or so, isn't that great! Glad I only spent a couple of quid, on that puppy!

I think there is a space for rentals, but I also believe that companies including Fox should continue to do same day rental and retail releases of their titles! That way, you please everyone.

What I do find weird, is why Fox release rental discs with no extras at all. What's the point of that? Surely doing this means pressing twice the amount of discs, doesn't it?! One batch for rental, and the rest for retail, with all the extras on. Dumb, very dumb!

Pooch

4. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have the same deal here in Australia with Fox and other R4 titles, also we get the bare bones rental only releases

This has happened so far with the Beach, Fight Club, Stigmata, Stir Of Echos, Me Myself & Irene, Ghost Dog and lots of others.
    The Beach and Fight Club are now available on sell through here in OZ

The next big one is X-men, rental only release on the 15/1/2001 then sell through July 2001.

Looks like I will be buying a few R1 titles from now on instead of just R4.

------------------
    mysteriousjimmy's home cinema

5. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was tempted to get Stir Of Echos when I was in US last year and if I remember right the R1 is only full screen. I think there was another down side to it as well but i can't remember what it is. Got loads of extras though.

------------------
    "Can we blow up the Earth?"

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hollywood,

R1 Stir Of Echoes PR was incorrect. It *IS* a stunning 1.85:1 Anamorphic Transfer and is a damn fine disc and film to boot.

Check out my review that is on http://www.dvddebate.com/allnews.php

You'll certainly want to pick it up rather than wait for the R2.

Regards Neil.

------------------
    Webmaster.
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes, Stir of Echoes is a goodie.
    Have it on R1, enjoyed every moment of it.

As for Fox as a company, to be blunt, they can get stuffed.
    I filled out a survey on them in the past, which was sent to them at the time by the company involved, obviously had no effect.
    Had big coverage with thousands of replies.
    It was at the time of the Titanic outrage!
    Just who do they think they are?
    If only we could all unite and not buy Fox for a month to get our message across.
    On this topic I will not lie down or back off. I detest their policy of pricing/releases/overall content etc. Just who do they think they are?

Now I'm going to lie down as they make my forehead swell! [​IMG]

In my spare time I care for lost lambs and injured kittens. [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 13-01-2001).]

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    also there re-releasing of films now in DTS is **** poor.

this should have been done from the start

ill be ****ed if im gonna buy X-files and the likes again

9. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    There is obviously something wrong with me! I`ve been into Home Cinema for a few months now but I seem to be thinking along the wrong lines. I`ve got an AV amp, subwoofer, the whole works but I don`t own a single dvd. I`ve rented over 50 titles from the library and my local Blockbuster etc though. Don`t tell me that I`m not furthering the introduction of the dvd format, do you think that when video was introduced that it became successful just thru peeps buying films? If that was true, Blockbuster and the others would be bankrupt. I enjoy movies and with my setup, a dvd is a great night in. That doesn`t mean I want, or can afford to buy all the films I enjoy. Why are some people who enjoy our hobby so snobbish about those who dare to rent? There`s a lot of crap films being made and mabe some people have more money than sense and can afford to buy them just to have a lot of plastic cases on their shelves. The rental shops open up the whole world of movie entertainment to us who have families to support, and they open up the world of dvd!

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is Pollywoggle, those of us who berate Fox et al when it comes to rental pricing, are not having a go at those who rent, or indeed the concept of renting. It's prob'ly safe to say that the majority of people who visit and post on this forum do buy rather than rent, though that is not really the point.

Our objections are based on the observation that this is a way of making the paying customer fork out more dosh for the movies they wish to view. The idea being that we are 'supposed' to rent, and then buy, the same movie when released onto the market.

Of course 'we' don't object to someone going along to Blockbuster or whatever and picking up a couple of discs for the weekend, some of us though would prefer to go out and buy that same disc. Rental pricing will deny us that oportunity.

As a sidenote you may even see the cost of rental go up as a result of rental priced discs.

11. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, and I don't think anyone, has a problem with renting. Its a great way of testing movies.

What I object to is the way we are supposed to rent before being given the option to buy.

12. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't you only get to rent R2 discs anyway? Think of all the goodies you miss out on if you don't dip your toe in the R1 water.

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Black 5 is correct! Anyone who hasn't got a multi-region DVD machine, is definitely missing out on so much!

Apart from the far larger selection of films available to own, you also miss out on quicker release dates; better soundtrack choices; more films with widescreen prints; more extras, and cheaper prices

Yesterday, Monday 15th Jan, Region 2 got "Dogma" released, with an average retail price of about £18. However, Region 1 owners, will soon be able to own a double-DVD version, with over 90 minutes of deleted material! Plus, importing the film will actually be cheaper than buying the damn thing in your local shop! What a total rip-off and insult to all R2 owners!

I vote for R1 almost everytime! Trust me, you won't regret the decision at all!!!

Pooch

14. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, a Multi-region player!
    Why didn't I think of that!
    Hey, do you suppose anyone else on these pages has heard of these?
    I think you have a duty to tell everyone about these wonderful things.
    Thank you for your insightful comments!
    Esp about Dogma. That was great!

I just want to know what Fox is up to? Can anyone enlighten us?

15. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I wonder if there are any polls, showing how many R2 DVD owners buy R1 discs, because I suspect that I and a lot of BB members are cocooned in a world of anamorphic, DTS, multiregion, dual layer and RCE techno-babble, and Mr and Mrs average DVD owner gets their discs from woolies, MVC or Smiths. But most probably they rent.
    What I'm getting at is that with 2M DVD owners in the UK, the majority of who don't realise that they can get films cheaper, better and earlier on the net, (and often don't know their Tesco or woolies player is multiregion) will always prefer to rent rathe than buy films at £20+ .

16. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Pollywoggle,
    I agree with what you say,i tend to rent the film now-and if it something special that i would watch again and again-then i buy.
    I used to import a lot of region 1 new releases of films i would have gone to the cinema to see,and justify it to myself by the cost saving in not going to the cinema!!
    But i just wound up with a lot of discs i was never going to watch again.(i wound up selling them in the end..)

I think renting could well be THE way to go..at least when hd dvd comes out you dont have to sell your collection for peanuts(..as i did with my laserdisc collection!)

17. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to remember an old (a year ago or so) poll which claimed that around 80% of UK players had been modified for R1. I do not know if this figure still/ever stands but people are not so daft....

I do not think DVD will catch on with the average punter until it is recordable. Most "average" people that I know (ie not technonerds or film buffs) see them as a replacement for the video recorder rather than a separate format in its own right. The only people into DVD who do not know about R1 are probably those gadget freaks that buy everything new because it is new.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a video store and regarding pricing of 'rental only' dvd releases you are right they are premium priced for us (independant stores) to buy-around £50! Do we take that much money from renting a dvd release-no! I'm sure there are solid reasons (yeah right!) for this release structure -but no extras!!??
    Comments welcome to my rant!

19. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Recordable DVD players will may never truly be mass market like VHS. Why? Because the next timeshifting technology for the mass market will be Solid state recorders. ie. A hard drive for digital recording.

The TiVo thing is too expensive at the moment, but soon we will all have a Hard Drive box sitting in our TV cabinets.

Granted, a DVD recorder may be used to save these recorded programs on and stored more permanently, but in terms of just recording Eastenders or something, the DVD Rec won't be first choice.

[This message has been edited by Ono (edited 20-01-2001).]

20. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the "solid reasons" vince refers to could possibly be the fact that, as always, the big chains want things all their way again.
    No way do "big stores" pay £50 a copy with their purchasing power. At £12 or so a pop the independant store could match the chains copy depth?
    Oh, Ono, what definition of "soon" are you using? As in, "..soon, we will record films on bits of blue space rock and have it beamed directly to our minds." I think recordable DVD will be here on the mass market long before hard drive TVs by virture of the market forced described above.
    IE DVD is here now, is very marketable, it pushes people to invest in Widescreen TV and, very importantly, it follows the same penetration model as VHS. In other words, it makes money. Hard drive TV is definately coming, but, again, your average punter will probably prefer something a bit more familier before true mass acceptance.

21. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    i think that there will always be divisions in formats..i.e.a mass market product and a elitist product..the unique thing with dvd,is that ultimately i believe it will be mass market.
    But by the time it is,us home cinema nuts will be watching hd dvd`s.....