Fox announce first Ultra HD movies with HDR for the home

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by hodg100, Jun 19, 2015.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,467
    2. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,037
      Yay! There's my first double dip 4k movie in the form of Kingsman...

Still, good to know actual movies are in the pipeline

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      Sounds like they haven't learnt from 3d and Avatar. Exclusive content, puts people off buying into the format.

The only way 4k BD has any chance of sucess is if there is a lot of content available at launch, so that the hype can build. People complaining that they can't get a specific movie because they have the wrong manufactors player or tv, is going to kill the format. Normal people don't understand formats etc and just believe what they hear/told, and if they hear about needing x device for y movies etc, they won't buy. Just look at plasma, most people believed the rubbish and believed that LCD was better than plasma.

4. hippo99

hippo99
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,275
      The exclusivity is just for the downloads.
      There's no mention of exclusivity for the 4k BDs.

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      Exclusivity requiring a certain player, is still a mess and counter productive at this stage.

6. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +737
      Is there any clarification for what HDR blurays will look like on non HDR capable TV's?

The Panasonic cx700 goes incredibly bright so will HDR look better on this than say the Samsung JU6400????

Personally I'm not bothered about HDR 4K downloads, what's the point when surely the blurays will be out at Xmas and will look much better, not paying twice again.

7. bailey1987

bailey1987

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      Kingman looks like it will be one of my first purchases,

And to answer MikeTVMikeTV apparently the way Ultra HD Blu-ray is designed if your playing them on a none HDR or none Rec2020 TV the player will scale to what your TV can do.

8. nenito2k

nenito2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +119
      like @stevos says these people are stupid!!! 3d failed for 2 years...because of exclusive crap deals...and now 4k and HDR are going the same ROUTE??

hell no....
      M-go
      amazon
      netflix
      samsung
      UHD bluray

they all have different quality, prices, codecs, and...contracts....
      crap!!!! these companies...ahhhhhhh

9. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +242
      They're certainly not stupid - manufacturers and content suppliers know exactly what they need to do each year to generate sales.

As much as I fancy 4K Blu-ray, and can't see any other source option that will justify getting a 4K set, looking at the still high price for new-release 2D and 3D blu-rays, and how few people, relatively, buy blu-rays over DVDs or downloads, I don't have high hopes that 4K blu-ray will not just be an expensive 3-4 year life format.

10. dazm41

dazm41

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +463
      was those four films in a lucky dip or what, life of pi i can understand but seriously kingsman didn't think exodus god's and kings wasn't to bad maze runner well if your a teenager ,out of all the films fox owns if that's the best they can do i will stick with blu-ray

11. Stuartj1

Stuartj1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +321
      Considering M-go isnt on the Samsung tvs yet in the uk, how will this work?

12. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      In my opinion they don't. They know how to look after short term.

The whole issue with trying to block streaming services for years etc, shows me they don't understand the market. Launching 4k TV's without finalising standard, will cause bad publicity when the content launches.

Too many examples where the industry is sleep walking into the future, without a plan.

This is why they need to make sure the message is positive, they can't afford to lose what few customers they will get by messing around with short term boosts from exclusive content. I can already see the complaints on watchdog/papers, about people with 4k sets that don't play the content because of lack of hdmi2.0 and hdcp2.2 etc. Combine that with people displaying high dynamic range content on 4k tvs that can't show it and thinking that the format is pointless.

4k UHD has a huge uphill battle to take off, and they are just making it harder for themselves.

13. Ste7en

Ste7en
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,381
      I thought Fox were turning their backs on physical media...

14. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,019
      I think folks need to take a reality check - 3D failed for one simple reason ... THE GLASSES.

I do agree that these exclusivity deals do more harm than good but given that we are 6 months from UHD blu-ray I don't think we should be jumping to conclusions just yet. This deal is hopefully just a bonus for SUHD owners ...

15. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,019
      They have quite obviously chosen films that will show HDR content in it's best light and not for the actual content.

16. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      Ok true, but its not just 3d, there are so many good technologies that failed because lack of content and the industry fracturing the market. Bluray is a good example, I think it would have taken off better if there wasn't the HD ready mess that confused people before the format had launched and then a lot of people delayed buying due to the HD-DVD format war.

On the counter arguement, if people have a 4k tv that is capable of showing UHD, they in theory have to do nothing, Netflix etc will just stream at the max quality. So no choice needed, as you just continue with your existing streaming service. The question then comes whether UHD has a selling feature for TV's if people don't have to choose it and so it lacks premium feel.

17. Hillskill

Hillskill
      Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,651
      Comparisons with 3Ds failure are an apples to oranges really. It isn't a case of 4k failing. Simply a case of how quickly it sees mass adoption.
      Also, knee jerk reactions of these announced titles are moot. There will be hundreds of titles available this time next year, maybe even thousands if you consider streaming options.
      I will concede that early 4k adopters might get their fingers burnt. That said, I owned a first gen Phillips hd panel with just a DVI input. I got over it and upgraded to an hdmi set soon enough.

18. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +242
      Only us as consumers are affected money-wise by 4K success (as measured by the amount of content) - manufactures include and promote new features to ensure they are competitive and so each year or two there is always something new - they don't really expect all of us to go out and buy new gear each time.

Most half decent TVs will soon be 4K regardless so it's really content availability that matters. If we decide a decent 60in + TV is needed to do 4K justice, plus a 4K blu-ray player, plus a new HDMI 2 HDCP 2.2 amp then I can see 3K being spent. Buying 50 4K Blu-ray discs adds £750 so that's a total of £75 per 4K film - so lets hope it's worth it.

19. NickInWiltshire

NickInWiltshire

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      The main reason that these HDR movies are exclusive to Samsung is that they are in a strange cobbled-together format which can be shovelled into the front of Samsung's HDR video processing engine "as-is" and give you an HDR experience if you manage to set your backlight right. It is all very Heath-Robinson at the moment. Samsung are pushing HDR releases well before anything is stable because it gives them a feature that no-one else has at this moment in time.

Whether any of Samsung's current SUHD range will ever be able to display HDR from more standard HDR formats (such as via HDMI) is still unknown. LG admitted that if/when the 960 gets its HDR support it will not work via HDMI. Samsung have not been pushed on this point but it is quite possible they will have the same problem. (Namely that they lack the hardware to extract HDMI 2.0a metadata and push it into the HDR video chain. Can't be done in software because software can't handle HDMI data rates.)

I recall that early Samsung 4K TVs could only show 4k movies if they were encoded as four separate HD files - one for each quadrant. That method was only ever used for a small number of demos created by Samsung. I think the same thing could be happening again here.

20. hippo99

hippo99
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,275
      The majority of people currently with 4K TV are playing their DVDs on the TV & thinking 'My 4k collection looks great' :facepalm:

21. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,037
      I second that! I am super psyched. Surely we are the target audience for this kind of stuff being AV enthusiasts? Hobbies are always an expense, I just accept it and get excited there are upgrade options on the horizon.

22. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,904
      To be fair the JS does a fantastic job at upscaling.

23. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,904
      HDR doesn't look any good on a non HDR TV. It looks the complete opposite. All washed out like your looking at VA panel off angle. It needs a 10bit panel.

24. NickInWiltshire

NickInWiltshire

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      When HDR is properly released it will work fine on a non-HDR TV. The problem at the moment is that the so-called HDR clips are just 10-bit data using the HDR OETF with no backward compatibility or meta-data. So non-HDR TVs treat the data as if it was using the REC709 OETF.

25. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,335
      Wow so much negativity for the first glimpses of what will be a new format going foward into UHD BD. Yes we know UHD Blu Ray the specs have not been finalised, we also know that these new TVS might not meet the end required specs for HDR . This will be the first time that consumers will be able to have a glimpse of what hdr will bring to uhd viewing and some seem to want to kick it's teeth in even before its released. All the reviews of HDR material on these TVs has been very positive and yet I see members being very negative about the first chance for us to witness it. Sorry for my ignorance but what's the problem of a format actually releasing in some form early on for a change and giving ordinary folks the chance to try it ! I've seen so many posts on 4K tv what's the point there's no content , even though there is and then HDR content is to be released its a multitude of posts to find a negative.

26. Apollo

Apollo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +269
      I thought the Ultra HD Blu-ray specifications had been announced as completed on 12th May?

27. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,757
      @Apollo they have, we can expect a 4K blu-ray player towards the end of the year.

28. hippo99

hippo99
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,275
    29. Jag @ Epic Home Cinema

Jag @ Epic Home Cinema
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,245
      Finally..

Looking forward to 4k movies!

I've been enjoying 4K through an LG panel in the lounge. A 55" and the wife immediately commented on the greater level of detail when watching House of Cards.

There are plenty of 4k trailers and sequences that could be viewed on panels. They are however just the starters. We can now look forward to the main course and dessert vis a vis DTS:X.

30. antsims

antsims

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +707
      Really looking forward to this. My 65JS9000 is coming next week. Hope this launches soon and in the UK. I pray that is not only available in the US.