FourThirds or entry DSLR?

GeeJay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After using my dads aging 350D at an recent christening and being more than impressed with the results for relatively little effort I've decided to upgrade my point and shoot but can't decide on what to get.

Specifically I'm torn between the Panasonic GF3, a used 450D and a new 1100D all at around the same price.

I know this mainly depends on what I want, and I'm really asking "am I getting the dslr experience that impressed me with the 350D in a 4/3 camera?" I think the manual focus was my favourite feature.

Is the slight compactness of the 4/3 losing features?

As you can tell, I'm completely new to this and simply liked the 350D but don't know where to start. Any comments will be welcome!

ultimately a DSLR will give you better results in low light stuations and less noise but on the flipside is s much much bigger in comparison to the GF3.

I have a sony A200 DSLR, i love it, the pictures i get from it etc. the problem was i didnt find myself taking it out everywhere due to the sheer size.

i bought the GF3 to accompany the A200. i find grab the GF3 90% of the time go out now as its small (when coupled with the 14mm lens) so easier to carry and just put in my pocket.

i think the quote by a famous tog was "The best camera is the one you have wth you" which the majority of the time was a phone but now its my gf3 due to the compact size.

although i know its more expensive but another popular model is the Sony NEX series. they use APSC sensors (the same as DSLR so the low light shots have less noise, they are bigger than most M4/3 cameras and once couple wth a lens then they are as big as a dslr. a big advantage which you said you enjoyed is what sony call "Focus Peeking/Peaking" it allows you to use manual focus lenses but it highlights the in-focus parts in a color which makes using them alot easier. (some of the sony slt cams have this too)

there are plus's and minus's on both.

...and of course there are now some Compacts around now with APS-C sized sensor such as the Fuji X-100 and Sony RX100...

The GF3 will have as good if not better image quality than the 350D though. But newer DSLR's will have better still. It's not an easy question to answer

...and of course there are now some Compacts around now with APS-C sized sensor such as the Fuji X-100 and Sony RX100...

I don't think you can call an X100 a compact. The RX100 has a 2.7x crop, so not APS-C (1.5x crop). Both cameras are massively over the OP's budget.

Other than that I'm in full agreement with you :p

I recently bought a refurbished Panasonic G2. for £260 from Tesco directwith a 1 year warranty It looked spanking brand new. It's not pocket able I know, but you don't have to be a weight lifter to carry it :D

sorry this probably is a wasted post as I can't see any other referbs around at the moment, but you might be able to get a second hand one at your price bracket. Maybe Jammyb will sell you his ..;)

The GF3 will have as good if not better image quality than the 350D though. But newer DSLR's will have better still. It's not an easy question to answer

I don't think you can call an X100 a compact. The RX100 has a 2.7x crop, so not APS-C (1.5x crop). Both cameras are massively over the OP's budget.

Other than that I'm in full agreement with you :p

Quite right - my bad - wishful thinking about the RX100 ;) :facepalm:

GJ - if you don't mind used, there's a Panasonic G2 at Amazon for £254.10. I think you'll find it gives as a good a result as your Dad's 350D, with a few added features that will make it easier and more flexible to use (swivel screen for high and low angle shots, touch screen focus and controls, HD video mode). The G2 is not as small as the GF3, but it is also not as bulky as a DSLR -- and, unlike the GF3, it has a viewfinder for those sunny days when the LCD is hard to see.

I sold my Canon 550D and bought a Panasonic GH2 instead (much like the G2, but with more emphasis on video), and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your decision.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
£254 is quite a lot for a 2nd hand G2 considering Tesco were selling hundreds of them for £199 brand new not so long back.

Check the prices on eBay. Often, when an item is discontinued, supply goes down, demand goes up and prices go up.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom