Question Four speaker, one pair 6 ohms, the other 8 ohms running on a Rotel RA-01. Will I blow up my speakers?

Strickers97

Novice Member
Hi, I have two sets of speakers that I would like to hook up to a Rotel RA-01. One pair has a nominal impedance of 6 ohms and the other of 8 ohms. The manual states that running four speakers all with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms is fine. Will running my four speakers together damage my amplifier?? Thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It's marginal, but if you are careful you should be fine.

Some speakers have a more dynamic impedance than others, so their impedance can dip quite low.

Basic rule of thumb, if it sounds distorted or strained, turn it down!

Check for abnormally high temperatures and any episodes of cutting out, but otherwise, all should be good!!

Strickers97

Novice Member
It's marginal, but if you are careful you should be fine.

Some speakers have a more dynamic impedance than others, so their impedance can dip quite low.

Basic rule of thumb, if it sounds distorted or strained, turn it down!

Check for abnormally high temperatures and any episodes of cutting out, but otherwise, all should be good!!
Cheers. I'll hook it all up and monitor it closely. I don't ever have a volume up loud, one of the pleasures of living in a terrace house with neighbours that complain every time I make even the slightest noise.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Broadly you can work out parallel impedances using the same method as parallel resistance.

An 8 ohm and 6 ohm resistance in parallel would give a resistance of 3.43 ohms

Given that's a nominal impedance and it could dip even lower than that at certain frequencies it's certainly lower impedance than I'd want to go for an amp rated to drive a 4 ohm load.

Strickers97

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice. Is there an easy way to run four speaker through 2 separate amps with the same input or is that just being silly at this point?
Cheers

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The question I would ask is why you would want to run 2 pairs of speakers at the same time.

If it's in the same space - IE 2 pairs aimed at your listening position, I really don't think it will improve things. It it's 2 areas - IE lounge and kitchen, then 2 amps makes more sense, as you can adjust the levels separately.

Paul7777x

The question I would ask is why you would want to run 2 pairs of speakers at the same time.

If it's in the same space - IE 2 pairs aimed at your listening position, I really don't think it will improve things. It it's 2 areas - IE lounge and kitchen, then 2 amps makes more sense, as you can adjust the levels separately.

Indeed. Two pair speakers in the same room is not only overkill, it’s rather hugely counter productive too.

Strickers97

Novice Member
Was planning to have the speaker in two separate room, was just concerned about what would happen if they were both playing music at the same time. Better safe than sorry, don't want a nice amplifier shaped paperweight or a torched house.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I would suggest a 2nd amplifier will give you more control, but I don't think you will damage anything so long as you are sensible!

My little all in one amplifier in the man cave is rated at 4 Ohms, but I run a pair of 4 Ohm and a pair of 8 Ohm speakers for use in the garden. It does not ruffle its feathers one bit, despite the increased load and a combined impedance of no more than 3 Ohms!!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You probably won't damage the speakers, but you could over-heat the Amp and cause it to shut down.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom