Found cheaper 3 contract elsewhere. Is there anything I can do?

sedalbis

Hey,
2 days ago I took out a new 12 month contract with 3 through their official website:
SIM only, 600 minutes, 3000 texts and all you can eat data for £15 a month.

This morning I was browsing the internet and I came upon a third party website:
Three Pay Monthly SIM: Latest Sim Only Deals from 3
They are offering the EXACT same contract, but for £12 a month instead. And when you click on 'buy now' it redirects you to the official Three website with the £12 deal added to your basket.

So obviously I am kicking myself that I didn't see this website before I took out the contract 2 days ago. I called customer services and they said there is nothing they can do. He tried to access the third party website but said his system was blocking access to it.

Is he right? Is there really nothing I can do other then learn to shop around more next time? :rolleyes:

Cheers in advance!

blaster9999

Hey,
2 days ago I took out a new 12 month contract with 3 through their official website:
SIM only, 600 minutes, 3000 texts and all you can eat data for £15 a month.

This morning I was browsing the internet and I came upon a third party website:
Three Pay Monthly SIM: Latest Sim Only Deals from 3
They are offering the EXACT same contract, but for £12 a month instead. And when you click on 'buy now' it redirects you to the official Three website with the £12 deal added to your basket.

So obviously I am kicking myself that I didn't see this website before I took out the contract 2 days ago. I called customer services and they said there is nothing they can do. He tried to access the third party website but said his system was blocking access to it.

Is he right? Is there really nothing I can do other then learn to shop around more next time? :rolleyes:

Cheers in advance!
No he's not!! Distance selling regs give you (working )7 days. Key point is whether you have activated the a/c

From the which site
"If you take out a pay-as-you-go or pay-monthly mobile contract at the same time (as buying a phone ), you still have the right to cancel the order and receive a full refund for up to seven working days from the day after you place the order. However, you waive your distance selling cancellation rights if you ask for the mobile phone service to start immediately".
On a side note resellers do generally seem to give better offers than service provider direct.

Last edited:

blaster9999

Sorry reached the limited to my legal knowledge on the matter. As it stands prob not. The key point was is /was the point you asked for it to be activated. If the sim was unactivated, no prob' send it back.

If you asked for the service to be activated at the time you placed the order no.

If the sim (as part of a sim only deal), was sent unactivated and you then subsequantly activated it, its' somewhat greyer whether distance selling regs apply.

Dodgy_Geezer

I believe (although I might not be right) that you can still send it back within 7 days even if you activate the SIM since the same distance selling rules apply. You could simply argue that the reception is not good enough where you are, I've done this in the past with O2 who didn't have any prob accepting an activated contract SIM, I just paid for any calls I had made in the few days I had the phone.

In your case, since it's SIM only, it might be the same but I would just call and argue your case.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom