Found an old newspaper

• Thread starter Deleted member 221953
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 221953

Found an old local newspaper from Dec 26 1980, the advert has prices for VHS and BETA video recorders

Soooo expensive!

Martin

Attachments

• image-1217612871.jpg
    image-1217612871.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 501

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
So both about a grand and a half in today's money.

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Yep. Hence Granada, Radio Rentals, Visionhire, DER, etc doing so well in the early to mid '80's. Very few bought back then, most rented equipment.

Innocent days....

Graham27

I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are with the price of AV kit nowadays. I remember paying about £450 for my first 'proper' VHS VCR (I think it was a Toshiba V857), £300 for a Pace satellite receiver, £450 for a Sanyo 21" 4:3 TV, etc.

When I see the set-ups kids have in their rooms nowadays :eek:

bounce

Exactly this. I remember saving up my holiday work money to buy a VHS video recorder to take to uni in 1984. It was a Ferguson slim front loader and I'm sure it was about £450:eek:

Nik73

Distinguished Member
Yep. Hence Granada, Radio Rentals, Visionhire, DER, etc doing so well in the early to mid '80’s. Very few bought back then, most rented equipment.

Innocent days....

I remember my parents getting our first VCR back in the early 80's from DER. A beautiful top loading Ferguson Videostar with wired remote. Totally state of the art! :D

D

Deleted member 221953

Nik73 said:
I remember my parents getting our first VCR back in the early 80's from DER. A beautiful top loading Ferguson Videostar with wired remote. Totally state of the art! :D

Also what about the tv's that had a wooden door that you pulled across the front of it and it had a wired controller

Martin

Steve N

Distinguished Member
I paid £800 for a top of the range Ferguson Videostar in 1980 :eek:

I think it was the 3V53. Front loading. It won all the awards that year :D

I remember the first movie I rented too: Alien.

gibbsy

I got married in 1979 and bought a Hitachi 21'' Colour TV from our local Co-op. £379. Bargain.

Redline

Some of the old adverts for computer stuff in the 1980s were incredible, the prices were so high.
$2495 for a 15Mb hard disk drive. :eek:

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
I found the remnant of an old newspaper from the 1920s while helping to renovate a house. I remember it talked about a visit by the battleship, HMS Royal Oak to somewhere in Africa. Sadly, she was later to be torpedoed & sunk at anchor in Scapa Flow, Orkney in late 1939 with great loss of life. I've seen the oil slick that still still forms above her wreck.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom