Found a great deal on Photoshop CS2

Z

ZiggyStardust

Saw Photoshop CS2 for $289.95 on Academic Superstore's website. I've been thinking about purchasing it for a while now so that I could really get back into editing and doing other things with my pics. For all of you student's out there, this is the cheapest I have seen it so thought I would share. I'd be interested to know if you have gotten a better deal.

ZiggyStardust said:
Saw Photoshop CS2 for $289.95 on Academic Superstore's website. I've been thinking about purchasing it for a while now so that I could really get back into editing and doing other things with my pics. For all of you student's out there, this is the cheapest I have seen it so thought I would share. I'd be interested to know if you have gotten a better deal.

try ebay it's much cheaper.

paulwIre said:
Do you want a legal real licensed copy of CS2, or will a pirate copy do? That's the question you should ask first.

Pirate software is what keeps the prices so high.

Bit of a sleeping statement there :eek: - Not all software on Ebay is pirate - I have bought genuine versions of Paint Shop Pro X and McAfee Security recently at £15 & £8 respectively - You get the CD only but they are GENUINE & as most software has to be activated online they need to be - just check the item for sale is a genuine one first (it should be easy to spot the pirates IMHO ... Paul :smashin:

paulwIre said:
Do you want a legal real licensed copy of CS2, or will a pirate copy do? That's the question you should ask first.

I take your point

However I guess its a case of buyer beware .:rolleyes:
Surely though, not all e-bay ( or similarly low priced) software purchases are suspect.
Some software on e-bay may well have been unused legitimate software or uninstalled and therefore surplus to sellers requirments .

Whatever the legal ( and financial) implications of software piracy , not everybody wants to buy Software for £400-500 especially if it is non revenue bearing.
While Some people will always want free :devil:,the vast majority of us would simply like "affordable".

paulwIre said:

maybe it does, but the reality is your never ever going to stop it, as senu said not all want free but just affordable, there is no way i could afford to pay or justify £300+ for software, so the reality is £300 new or £10-£15 from ebay, i know what i would rather do, and maybe not all would agree with me, but again thats the reality.

I think it is possible to buy OEM versions, which are proper CD's with proper serial numbers that you can register with Adobe etc.. I don't think Adobe want people buying OEM software without it being supplied with a new PC etc, but I don't think it's illegal. It's certainly much better than buying pirated software. I have seen OEM software on eBay for a much lower price than full retail packages. This proves that the companies can sell them for a lower price and still make money. Much of it is a supply and demand thing. We are all awfully awfully nice and don't moan so they charge us a fortune an we get ripped off. In the US they all moan so they get stuff much cheaper!!! :devil:

Think of it in these terms guys. Regardless of affordability, how would you feel if someone was using one of your images without paying you royalties?

barongreenback said:
Think of it in these terms guys. Regardless of affordability, how would you feel if someone was using one of your images without paying you royalties?

Angry maybe.. but serves me right if Im asking for £200 each time somebody wants to use that same image.

This is not about condoning piracy . Its is about what do you do when software titles which will be superceeded in 9-12 months are costing a decent chunk of your monthly wage. This is especially so if one is not making any money from using them and the new title will have a "must have" feature.

Unlike a car, house or even carefully used Consumer electronic device. Secondhand software is virtually worthless. I have 100s of Cd software titles to show for it and it gets to the stage where the accountant in me slows me down before buying any new title " Is it worth it??" This is so even though I do occasionally actually get complimentary copies of software

Software companies certainly have a right to make a profit but it makes you wonder when PC World do a 1/2 price sale combined with 3 for the price of 2 just how much was made when the titles were full price.:rolleyes:

Im all for any legitimate way of getting software affordably including OEM from e-bay and other sources ( still boils down to that affordabilty really)

As an aside, Uleads MovieFactory 5™ Blu ray support was diasbled after its initial launch early this year with a promise to reenable it with a patch in the future.
What theyve done instead is launch a Ver5 Plus and charge an upgrade almost as costly as the original product 3-4 months into its life cycle making buyers of the original own a lesser product : Nice reward for buying earlier:thumbsdow

Simply, Adobe do not do an OEM version of Photoshop, if it says it is, it will be pirate, if you're buying "OEM" (pirate) software better to use ebay (Paypal), dont trust these guys with your credit card details.

stratagem said:
Simply, Adobe do not do an OEM version of Photoshop, if it says it is, it will be pirate, if you're buying "OEM" (pirate) software better to use ebay (Paypal), dont trust these guys with your credit card details.

That is useful info: :smashin:

However Adobe do OEM and bundled versions of Photoshop Elements, Adobe Acrobat Elements as well as Premiere ( or they did) and LE variants of these with scanners, video capture cards etc.
The OP was however actually quoting from an "Academic" online store which sold to students in Higher Education where eligibility ensured generous discounts, Not unlike Microsofts Student software program.

Thanks Senu, when I said "dont trust these guys" I meant the ones that offer "OEM" Photoshop CS online and not the store first mentioned, you've cleared that up.

beachy said:
maybe it does, but the reality is your never ever going to stop it, as senu said not all want free but just affordable, there is no way i could afford to pay or justify £300+ for software, so the reality is £300 new or £10-£15 from ebay, i know what i would rather do, and maybe not all would agree with me, but again thats the reality.

If you say you cannot justify £300+ software then are you not saying you cannot justify owning CS2? Why not look at a different package that you can justify its price tag for, like GIMP which is free?

I guess the other bit that I dont understand... you seem to be fully aware that a £10 new copy of photoshop is not going to be legit but will still part with your £10..... why pay £10 for pirate software when it can be downloaded free of charge (or a time limited trial downloaded and the time limit disabled)?

I don't dispute claims that CS2 isn't available as an OEM product but can you explain how for example Corel's Paint Shop Pro X can be bought online for between £10-£20 and what you get is a genuine CD which has to be activated online via the Corel Website? - I presume these products are OEM CD's originally bundled with computers but somehow they end up being sold on their own - I don't consider them to be "pirates" - maybe I am being naive to think that if they were not genuine Corel products you wouldn't be able to activate them online via the Corel Website? I am not interested in buying the full retail product (the manual & help is usually on the CD anyway?) even if the price was the same (I have a loft full of manuals already!)
All JMO of course ... Paul ;)

Nothing wrong with real OEM products, you get no box, no manual, no direct support etc, as this is supposed to be offered by the OEM, but you don't really need it as plently of help is available on the manufacturer website.
OEM is supposed to be bundled with computers of course, then people found they could sell it with computer parts such as a USB cable, (still within licence), then they sold it standalone.
Ebuyer for instance sells OEM software standalone.

wow - this sure prompted an interesting debate :) Think I agree with stratagem though and would rather have the real deal, and purchase it from a reputable source like AS. Always nice to have customer support from a legitimate product if something goes wrong as well.

Astaroth said:
If you say you cannot justify £300+ software then are you not saying you cannot justify owning CS2? Why not look at a different package that you can justify its price tag for, like GIMP which is free?

I guess the other bit that I dont understand... you seem to be fully aware that a £10 new copy of photoshop is not going to be legit but will still part with your £10..... why pay £10 for pirate software when it can be downloaded free of charge (or a time limited trial downloaded and the time limit disabled)?

don't quite understand where your coming from here ? the point i was making is why should i pay £300 + for software when i can get it for £10-£15 from ebay, ok it may or may not be pirate but it does the job, and why would i buy cheaper software like gimp or any other when i can have adobe cheaper.

and regarding your other point "why pay £10 for pirate software when it can be downloaded free of charge" well i agree that is even better, so if you could please direct me to the website where i can download the full versions of photoshop CS2, elements 4, or any other adobe software for free please do so, and i can save myself £10 :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom