Quantcast

Found £12.32 in my washing machine filter. Better than looking behind the sofa!

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I have a Candy Alise washer dryer which I think has a pound coin trapped in it somewhere and it's making a really worrying noise when spinning.
The coin is not in the accessible drum.
Can anyone help me get the coin out?
Thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Hmm...
My question would be how it got there, as the inner drum has only very small holes to the outer drum.

It's not a bearing failure or bra wire trapped is it? I gather these are the 2 most common noise generators in washing machines!

MrFraggle

Have you checked the pump as I have just rescued 40p from the small pump at the bottom of my elderly neighbors even older washing machine. I suspect the rubber door seal is failing.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Hmm...
My question would be how it got there, as the inner drum has only very small holes to the outer drum.

It's not a bearing failure or bra wire trapped is it? I gather these are the 2 most common noise generators in washing machines!
It's not a bra wire. It sounds to me very much like a pound coin. Do you not agree?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Have you checked the pump as I have just rescued 40p from the small pump at the bottom of my elderly neighbors even older washing machine. I suspect the rubber door seal is failing.
What pump? I have never opened a washing machine beyond normal use and don't have a clue what's inside.

IronGiant

What pump? I have never opened a washing machine beyond normal use and don't have a clue what's inside.
There looks to be a small door bottom left at the front that may give you access to a filter where small objects can accumulate. But it doesn't sound like the coin has made it that far yet.
When you open the door there should be a rubber seal surrounding the drum. The coin probably slipped between the drum and that. If you can prise that out from the bottom you may be able to reach the coin. But beware, you will probably find it harder to get it back on than pull it off, so you may be better getting someone in. If you leave it and it stops making the noise it's probably made it's way down into the pump pre-filter.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Have you had a butchers, at wot I suggested?

Thanks. I'll have a look when the cycle has ended. Drying takes several hours.

nheather

Distinguished Member
There looks to be a small door bottom left at the front that may give you access to a filter where small objects can accumulate. But it doesn't sound like the coin has made it that far yet.
When you open the door there should be a rubber seal surrounding the drum. The coin probably slipped between the drum and that. If you can prise that out from the bottom you may be able to reach the coin. But beware, you will probably find it harder to get it back on than pull it off, so you may be better getting someone in. If you leave it and it stops making the noise it's probably made it's way down into the pump pre-filter.
Once it gets to that filter though it won't be rattling. Our old washer had an accessible filter like that and we would regularly find small coins, buttons and shirt collar stiffeners.

Our current washer doesn't appear to have such a filter, not obvious anyway, if it does you must have to remove a panel. We still get coins and shirt collar stiffeners rattling around but they tend to end up in the folds of the rubber door seal at the bottom.

Cheers,

Nigel

IronGiant

Once it gets to that filter though it won't be rattling.
Yes, I said it doesn't sound like it's got there yet :) And that if it stops rattling it probably has.

gibbsy

Are you sure it sounds as if it's going around. I had similar but turned out to be a lose bolt at the top of the balancing block. Very lucky it didn't come all the way off and damage the machine. This was a washing machine though.

markie g

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I'll have a look when the cycle has ended. Drying takes several hours.
Apologises for semi hijacking the thread but noticed you have the same washer dryer as us (we got ours few days ago).

Noticed you have it on a 59min wash, but was unable to see if you had set the dryer function. Have you any recommendations on the best settings for a wash and dry?

I put 5 towels on the a 59min and an extra heat dry and they came out perfect. Yet yesterday i did the same with less amount of weight clothes and they came out damp.

I assume there's no normal fluff filter like on condensers/vented dryers (what i'm used to).

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Louise started washing clothes with conker fluid, but (being lazy and not filtering the pieces) accidentally dropped a piece into the machine

This slot at the back gave me access under the drum, I had to remove a heating element the cables were connected to to get in

i probably watch the same video above :)

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Louise started washing clothes with conker fluid, but (being lazy and not filtering the pieces) accidentally dropped a piece into the machine

This slot at the back gave me access under the drum, I had to remove a heating element the cables were connected to to get in

i probably watch the same video above :)

What the heck is conker fluid?

IronGiant

I'm guessing that if you soak conkers in water you get a cleaning solution. (Trots off to google to find out)

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
The cycle has finished. When I turn the drum, there is no sound of anything rattling around between the inner and outer drum.
I can't remove the filter. The end cap comes off leaving the black, plastic filter behind and it won't pull out even with pliers on to the small bits of plastic sticking out.
So I guess it's time to call an engineer?

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
The cycle has finished. When I turn the drum, there is no sound of anything rattling around between the inner and outer drum.
I can't remove the filter. The end cap comes off leaving the black, plastic filter behind and it won't pull out even with pliers on to the small bits of plastic sticking out.
So I guess it's time to call an engineer?
If it's gotten into the drum you may be out of luck. Most newer machines have sealed tanks (containing drum, bearings etc) and can't be repaired. Also, items inside (between the tank casing and the drum) can't be retrieved. It's possible your options are; live with it or by a new machine.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Applied enough pulling force on the filter and £12.31 came out!!

45A8224C-9CFF-453D-984D-803B8DDAC565.jpeg

I reckon maybe the coin in there went out to the filter going to try a quick spin cycle to see what happens.