1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOTR&TTT- which did you enjoy most?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dfield2000, Feb 24, 2003.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would have thought that this has already been asked, but I've been searching and can't find anything, so..

I'm curious to know if people enjoyed TTT or FOTR most ? I love FOTR and was really looking forward to TTT, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first film. The effects were excellent, but there didn't seem to be the same attention to detail as FOTR. My mate said that he enjoyed it more on the second viewing. Anyone had a similar experience ?

All the critics raved about the TTT saying that it was superior to FOTR, so I feel like I've missed something somewhere.

2. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The first time I saw FOTR it was okay. Then I saw TTT and this really hooked my interest, so much so that I bought the FOTR EXT. and watched it again. Now I'm really hooked and cannot stop watching FOTR, I'm addicted to it. :blush: Can't wait for TTT DVD to come out. :smashin: FOTR needs to be seen many times to appreciate how much effort they put in to making this film.

3. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think expectations were so high that it was bound to be a bit of a disappointment. That's how I felt.

People who see it more than once all seem to think that it improves with viewing again.

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was also underwhelmed with FOTR forst time around. I found a new appreciation for it after watching TTT though. I still prefer TTT and have seen it 3 times in the cinema :blush:. The story might not be as tight as FOTR but TTT is just an awesome piece of film making :).

5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Worth a poll I would have thought?

Anyway...I definately prefer FOTR to TTT, however I still consider TTT to be an truly excellent film...just that FOTR is better IMHO.

I have said before, I think it is Gollum that irritates me, he is technically sound...just annoying. (although...not even in the same, ball bark or even sport as the ever annoying Jar Jar Binks)

On a scale of 1 to 10?

FOTR = 10
    FOTR:EE = 11
    TTT = 9
    TTT:EE = ? (I am expecting a 10)

:cool:

6. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, they can't be compared in that way
    all you can do is wait till ROTK cames out on DVD then you'll be able to sit down and watch ONE 9 hour film

adi

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made numerous posts in the past about my dissapointment with FOTR when I watched it at the cinema. However I was still intrigued by the story as I was a newbie to LOTR so I watched TTT and thought it was excellent. TTT also made me understand the characters and story better and I suddenly found myself wanting to see FOTR again so I purchased the FOTR EE (R1). What can I say, I now think FOTR is one of the greatest achievements in motion picture history, I too don't think the two films should be compared but instead take them as a whole. People in general don't like giving mighty accolades to modern movies but IMO when ROTK is out and all 3 films are released as a single entity it has a very strong argument for best movie ever.

Everytime I see the Argonath statues I get all tingly, they now adorn my desktop :clap:

[​IMG]

8. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think as films they were very different. FOTR was a very magical film introducing all the different races and places of Middle Earth and because of this you got a real sense of being transported somewhere else. TTT was a more gritty film and centred more around men and their battle for survival so it felt more like film taken from our own history. I have seen TTT three times at the cinema but I prefer FOTR (to answer your question) just because to me it is more magical and reminds me more of when I read LOTR when I was 14. But TTT is still a great film and I absolutely love it.

I think though ROTK is going to be the greatest individual part because that part of the book is amazing but all three will need to be seen together to really appreciate what PJ is trying to achieve. And I think the end result will be the greatest trilogy of all time (sorry Star Wars fans) :D

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't wait for that day!!:D :rolleyes: And I would like to say which I prefer until I have TTT on DVD and have seen it a few times. I never get sick of watching FOTR.

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    FOTR:EE at the moment, but I'm sure once TTT gets the extended treatment they'll both be on a par with each other. I keep feeling there's something missing from TTT, in its theatrical form it lacks the depth of the extended FOTR and that's something I'm glad PJ is allowed to address with his 4 diskers.

11. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having watched the both of them a few times, i can`t really choose. two different films each with their own merits.
    when i first watched fotr ee i was amazed that the extra`s hadn`t been left in for the theatrical release.

12. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    One of the things which was impressive about FOTR was the attention to detail. I will be interested to see whether the same can be said of TTT. I was just watching the sequence where A, L and G are chasing M and P. In one scene shot from a helicopter I noticed Legolas stumble...hmmmm, not very elf like. I also think some of the CGI jars a little. Still, I also would want to reserve judgement until I am as familiar with TTT as FOTR. Can't wait for ROTK

13. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It looks like allot of you guys are agreeing what I was thinking. I don't think it's fair to say which film is the best, although many of you agree that you enjoyed watching FOTR more.

For me, the first film conjured up a magical feeling with the excellent sets like Bilbo's house, the Shire, Rivendel, Moira etc. The attention to detail and believability of the the scenes was amazing and really pulls you into the film. In TTT the locations are mainly built around fights on castle walls and open plains or forests. It just doesn't have the same vibe as FOTL.

Obviously the locations in the film are dictated by the book, so it's nothing to do with the film making process, but it still leaves me with the feeling that more effort and attention to detail went into FOTL.

As 'adi' said, you really need to see all three films together and treat them as one film instead of comparing them individually. I believe the book was originally in one and it was only the publishers who wanted to split it into three.

Cheers for all your comments.

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Although I really enjoyed it I felt that TTT was a less satisfying film then FOTR - it seemed to me to be slightly rushed, and had a few plot and character inconsistencies, for example the sequence where Aragorn, Gimli and the elven bloke were pursuing the two kidnapped hobbits - one minute Aragorn could tell exactly how fast the urakaih were moving just by putting his ear to the ground, the next minute he didn't even notice when about fifty 'Riders of Rohan' came running up behind him! And the scene where he worked out exactly how Merry and Pippin had escaped by analysing the markings on the floor was ridiculous - that piece of ground had been trampled by dozens of soldiers collecting up and burning all the dead bodies (as well as the battle itself)!

Or maybe I am just too picky! :rolleyes: :D

Mind you the battle of Helm's Deep was bloody marvellous! :clap: :smashin:

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    Ferrowship of the Ling?
    Are you turning Japanese, sir?:p

16. DarthChris

DarthChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by adi
    all you can do is wait till ROTK cames out on DVD then you'll be able to sit down and watch ONE 9 hour film

no

you can sit down and watch an 11 hour film

17. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will make for one excellent day viewing... will have to get black out cutains to keep the atmospher :laugh:

18. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I liked TTT best!

Joel

19. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest you can,t really judge these as separate movies as they are in all honesty, parts 1 and 2 of one massive epic.

20. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with the final chapter to follow