1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forza motorsport

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by peahead, Dec 31, 2004.

1. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Just played the demo on the oxm and it going to give gt4 a run for its money cant wait till its released. :smashin:

2. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thought it was a little bit ermmmm crap i m h o

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Well it handles better than sega gt thats for sure about time we got a gt killer
    oh and it looks great in 480p progressive scan on my tv but its not even finished yet so until its released we cant really judge it proper.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how would you compare the small perspective of it that youve played to PGR2?

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Is it worth splashing the frankly daylight robbery of £5 for the magazine to play the demo, because lets face it the actual magazine is pish.

6. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Your wright its not worth the money but how else are we supposed to get the demos its not asif we can download them for free like pc games.

7. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've played it. I think they need to do a lot of work on the game if they reckon it's going to be a GT4 beater. Playablity and presentation was poor on the demo. I do hope the final version will be better than GT4.

Wilt

8. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I think the demo's great - I think the physics are particularly impressive (although I think TOCA2 looks better at the moment).

Turned off the traction and stability control on that single seater ferrari and at first was spinning off in all directions, but after a few laps really got into it and was comfortably beating my best time with all assists switched on.

I am a big Gran Turismo fan (it's the only reason I still have a PS2). Comparing Forza with GT4 will be interesting. Can't wait.

Sheks

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    not when you consider the suckers who payed £20 for gt prologue lmao.

10. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I'm not impressed with this after playing the demo. No real sense of speed, poor presentation and the graphics aren't even that good imo.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I must say, i've played this demo loads now & I love this game!! Initially I felt that GT4 had the better handling but now I prefer this. The AI of the other cars is absolutely superb as well, you always see them battling each other and outbreaking themselves. Superb demo - can't wait for the finished game, it is my most eagerly awaited game of 2005 (just ahead of Resi 4).

I thought it didn't look that good through RGB, but then I stuck it through my PJ with 480p and it looks gobsmackingly gorgeous!!!

Superb stuff!! :clap: :clap:

12. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i remember playin this game back at game* and yes i do feel it will give gt4 a run for its money, no questions asked there. but the other bit that worries me is the live enabled option, with such a simulation i feel ur get idiots bumpin into corners and cos its a sim ur have no control over it. i still feel that pgr2 is the best racing game around.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yes I guess there will always be that but if you play with a bunch of people you know (who can play the game well) then it should be superb online.

14. phindme

phindme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm playing it now, it's a whole different driving style to PGR2 (a game which i love) but it's a new challenge. i wish they had a view with a rear view mirror like in PGR2 and to have the bonnet in view like in NFSU2.

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im also looking forward to this. Im playing GT4 just now and over all im not that impressed. The graphics may be nice and all but there are many flaws in it too.

Ie only one view in the game. The floor view. Cant even see the car you are driving unless its a replay.

I think they had to cut back on some things as this game really pushes the PS2 to the limit.

I was also dissapointed at how simillar this game is to GT3. There are hardly any differences therefore not worth the money if you already have GT3!

In my opinion that is! :smoke:

16. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Finally lashed out the scandilous £6 for the mag to play this demo and i have to say, nice. Plays a bit like TOCA and nothing like PGR2(booo) but should be a good learing curve ala GT in starting with the bog standard cars and working way up to LeMans-style cars. How are everyones laps times? Are you playing with any assists? Can you switch speedo to MPH?(i hate KPH)

Just for the record my lap times are:

Ferrari 360 Modena - 1:34:7xx
    Ferrari 333(iirc, the LeMans Thingy) - 1:16:3xx

Note: above times achieved with only ABS breaking assist on, and Manual gears.

17. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Unconfirmed UK release date: April 29th :confused: Hmm i wonder if it will even get a release before Xmas. But as long as they get it right they can take as long as they like.

18. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i played the demo ages ago, its was looking to be a bit of a duff attempt.
    it looked pretty etc, but played like a dog.
    i hope that they take their time with it, like you say its worth waiting for a decent game to come along.

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I loved the way it played - thought that the handling was great! Believe me - i've been playing GT4 and the demo is much better than that IMO.

20. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Yeah, no official date for us Europeans, but its going to be 3rd May 2005 in the US, so sometime later in May I'd guess. I'm going to hold off on GT4 until I see what Forza plays like, as Forza has the potential to pick up GT4's dropped ball - GT4's getting very average reviews (AI is fundamental to an offline only game surely? So many reviews mention the AI is terrible yet still give it a decent score?). Shame :(

But I did enjoy the Forza demo, at last a game with subtle handling! Takes some getting used to (I only get 1.37 with the Modena and 1.20 in the 333) but I could feel myself improving with each lap. Real potential for skillful drivers to come out best here, and as long as you can't unlock the best cars with an Action Replay type device, then there is real incentives to get the decent cars. Am looking forward to this one :thumbsup:

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    GT4 is basically just a slightly bigger version of GT3 with nicer graphics and tweaked handling. The AI is the same (i.e. poor) and most of the time you get the feeling that you are playing the same game.

I'm also not keen on the excessive car tilt that you get under breaking - it is rather unrealistic, especially for a race tuned car.

On the plus side for GT4 - apart from the car tilt the handling is better and it is a good fun game and keeps you coming back to beat your times. There are loads of cars and tracks as well including the nurburgring and some visually stunning rally tracks! Unfortunately the stupid collision detection mechanism shows up worst on the rally tracks where if you don't stick to the defined track (i.e. you slide off wide onto some grass) you come to an abrupt halt when hitting this patch of grass!! :eek: Instead of travelling onto the grass as you would do in real life you hit an invisible brick wall. This is the same if you go off the edge of a cliff or hit a plasic tape barrier. I'd have thought that a car doing 100 mph would have the force to preak through a strip of polythene - not in the world of GT4. This for me completely ruins the rally stages as it constantly reminds you that you are playing an unrealistic video game and it spoils the great sense of realism portrayed by the superb graphics.

I just don't think that it's enough though considering the wait for this game. It's worth owning as it's a good game which will provied some good entertainment but it's also quite a big letdown considering what it could have been.

The lack of online play, decent AI, decent collision detection on the rally stages and exagerated braking tilt mean that Sony & Polyphonic have really dropped the ball this time. If Forza does what it's supposed to do and if the demo is anything to go by (good AI, nice graphics & great handling) then it will blow GT4 out of the water.

22. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319

Simply Games have it as a JUNE release !!!

23. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Just to let you chaps know, GT4 got 9 out of 10 in this month's PSW magazine.. they slated it for not having better AI, Damage and no network play, but even so they said it was a superb game.. I agree that for most it seems like an updated GT3, but theres so much more to this game than it being an update in my view.

I have played Forza Motorsport, and I wasnt impressed.. Ive been playing PGR2 and Toca 2 and both are much better.. I hope that the final game is a lot different from the demo, because at the moment its not even the better than GT3..

24. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    This is exactly what I was getting at in my post - how can an offline only game get such a high scoring review while the AI is poor and you can still bounce off the walls with no damage...? Driving simulator my :censored:

Well, for a start you've not played Forza as its not been relased yet. You've played an early build demo. And what wasn't to like about the demo? Was the handling off for you? In what respect was it not as good as GT3?

I too have played TOCA, GT3 and PGR2, enjoyed all, but I enjoyed the Forza demo too. IMHO all have positive points to their game, and assuming MS take on the early constructive criticism, Forza will have me playing for months and my PS2 gathering dust.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    The Forza demo was much better than GT3 and i've actually played it more than the full GT4 game (which speaks volumes). I have been a huge GT fan since release and I personally think GT3 was pretty much the best console racer out there until PGR2. GT4 is a good game in many respects and I would give it 7.5 (8 tops) out of 10. It brings very little that's new to the table and the appauling scenery collision issue I highlighted above is just inexcusable. Forza should wipe the floor with it if the demo is anything to go by.

26. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    The best review i have read for GT4 is in this months EDGE magazine, they give it 7/10 which when you read the whole article seems very generous. They say that GT4 hardly passes as a video game at all now, it's now an "encylopaedia of cars that you can drive" the racing aspect of the games has gone due to aforementioned :censored: AI

27. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I hope your right cos tbh I thought the demo was poo. TOCA2/PGR2 are FAR more fun than that, (admittedley earlyish) demo. I was expecting far more from a game released on a supposedley superior machine.

Heres hoping :rolleyes:

Matt

28. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Nice force feedback wheel scheduled for release with Forza too...
    Follow me!

29. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Boo, steering wheels, boo :thumbsdow

30. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Have you ever played GT3 with a decent steering wheel? I got the official Logitech one, and it transforms the whole experience. Admittedly not quite as convenient as a joypad, but for the true experience, you can't beat it. Helps round corners when you feel your back-end go... Oo-er missus ;)