Forward or down facing sub driver?

Hi,

If you have a concrete floor then front facing is my choice.

If you have a wooden floor and want to FEEL the bass then down facing high power 10" or larger is the route to go.
That might not be "musical"........

CurrentlyI have a pair of REL 10" Sentor III down facing subs, these are being replaced with front facing units, of VERY similar drive units.

I am a fan of the front facing sub.

I am also a fan of a ported design to be musical.

Sealed boxe are great for high SPL using a cheap driver, there are also good drivers in sealed cabs.

the front facing is more of a kick, the don facing a boom - thats over simplifed......

Andy.

Sorry OP for jumping in :nono:

CurrentlyI have a pair of REL 10" Sentor III down facing subs, these are being replaced with front facing units, of VERY similar drive units.

Andy - Any more hints at your new setup that's on the way :D

We could play a game similar to "Name that tune" if you start dropping hints all over AVF

Thanks Mad. Your explanation is kind of what I am experiencing. I have a wooden floor (well 2 floors as I actually raised the floor level completely by around 2.5ft so the new floorboards are supported on top of the existing wooden floor). I have had a REL Strata 5 for a good few years which is down facing 10". I loved the feel of the floor at very low frequencies.

The REL has a bit of a problem at present so I'm just running in a Monitor Audio GSW12 which having only had a very short time is showing potential but I guess I was expecting the REL feel but to a greater extent.

My plans are to run both together through the LF link through of the Monitor Audio sub but as the REL is presently unwell, I haven't had a chance to. As a stop gap for testing, I've tried a Mordaunt Short Genie sub as the "second" sub and even with no setups it sounded pretty good.

The only reservation I have is using 2 subs of differing size drivers (12" to 10"), differing frequency responses, and differing orientations (forward/down).

??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom