Forward audio from Denon Amp to TV

Grolsch

Novice Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help with this, didn't post in the specific owners thread because I may have to buy another Amp if there's other options.

I've bought a Denon X1700h, it was only after spending countless hours setting up my new cinema system that I realised I no longer have audio to my headphones.

So I bought this Amp based on the VRR support for my PS5. I use a set of Steel series headphones for online gaming which require an optical input for the best sound quality. I'm sure I read somewhere it's best to run your devices to the Amp then have a single cable to the TV.

I can't see to figure out how to get the Amp to pass the audio onto the TV so my TV can output sound via optical as it was before. This is a deal breaker for me and now wondering if I should sell the Amp and buy one with an optical out?

My other option is to run all my devices through my TV then to the Amp via eArc? Will this have any negative effect on audio quality etc? Again may as well get rid of the amp and buy something else, so any recommendations if so? Just seems a waste of cash for the HDMI 2.1 support if I'm not even using it.

Managed to get it to work, but got absolutely garbage audio from Optical. I'm just going to wire the PS5 directly to the TV and use eArc.

Denon don't facilitate being able to both pass HDMI sourced audio through to the TV at the same time as allowing the AV receiver to process and amplify it. There is a setting that will allow both the video and audio to be passed through, but if used then you'd no longer get that audio via the speakers connected to the AV receiver.

by default 2022-07-02 at 18.34.55.png

I'd strongly suggest that you leave this set to its default AVR setting or you'd basically lose the primary fubnction of the AVR.

Maybe look at getting headphones that don't rely upon an optical connection, wireless headphones for example? AV receivers don't commonly have an optical output so it wouldn't be a matter of getting a different AV receiver.

by default 2022-07-02 at 18.44.01.png

by default 2022-07-02 at 18.45.02.png

by default 2022-07-02 at 18.45.20.png

Also note that S?PFIF optical is less capable than HDMI when it comes to the bandwidth of the digital audio, the number of channels and the formats supported by it.

You can also simply l;eave your gaming headset cpnnected to the console's optical audio oputput while gaming without ant need to connect the headphones to the AV receiver or your TV. I've no idea why you'd need to connect it to the AV receiver?

Last edited:
There is a setting that will allow both the video and audio to be passed through, but if used then you'd no longer get that audio via the speakers connected to the AV receiver.
This is perfect, can you advise me how to find this setting as I can't find it anywhere?

I only want to use AV receiver for audio when I'm watching movies or gaming on my days off when Mrs isn't at home. We're both gamers and game in the same room so use headphones.

Maybe look at getting headphones that don't rely upon an optical connection, wireless headphones for example? AV receivers don't commonly have an optical output so it wouldn't be a matter of getting a different AV receiver

I use Wireless headphones that have 5.1 VSS with DD. There is no other gaming headphone on the market that sound as good as these whilst having chat audio available.
I even bought the latest Arctis Pro Wireless, they sound crap in comparison via USB to the PS5. The PS5 only supports USB UAC1 which will only deliver low quality sound.

You can also simply l;eave your gaming headset cpnnected to the console's optical audio oputput while gaming without ant need to connect the headphones to the AV receiver or your TV. I've no idea why you'd need to connect it to the AV receiver?

The PS5 does not have optical out. Otherwise this wouldn't be an issue. Besides, I do also game on Xbox so always preferred the TV optical output for my headphones from that, no messing about with swapping wires.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, if I can find that setting then this will resolve my issue, I can turn it back on as and when I need.

After looking around, eArc will be perfect to pass my Audio from console to Amp via TV? Doesn't seem to be any negative effect? May as well just connect my PS5 to TV and I've got the best of both worlds?

After looking around, eArc will be perfect to pass my Audio from console to Amp via TV? Doesn't seem to be any negative effect? May as well just connect my PS5 to TV and I've got the best of both worlds?

If it works and your TV plays nice with your AV receiver then eARC is great for consoles.

The only real issue with ARC or eARC is that you cannot access an AV receiver's onscreen graphics while accessing audio via ARC or eARC.

It also has to be noted that some TVs don't offer any support for DTS encoded audio so you'd not be able to access such formatted audio if wishing to pass it through those TVs. You can let the console or source device do the decoding and convey the audio as PCM though and eARC supports multichannel PCM. This wouldn't allow you to convey DTS:X though and you'd lose the associated metadata if letting the console do the decoding. As far as consoles go, you'd more than likely not be effected by this, not unless you intend to use the console as a UHD and or HD Blu-ray disc spinner as well as a games console?

The only real issue with ARC or eARC is that you cannot access an AV receiver's onscreen graphics while accessing audio via ARC or eARC.
Yeah that is a downside but a price I'm willing to pay. I tried using the Phone socket on the amp and the audio is way worse so this set up is the only way I'm making this work.

It also has to be noted that some TVs don't offer any support for DTS encoded audio so you'd not be able to access such formatted audio if wishing to pass it through those TVs. You can let the console or source device do the decoding and convey the audio as PCM though and eARC supports multichannel PCM. This wouldn't allow you to convey DTS:X though and you'd lose the associated metadata if letting the console do the decoding. As far as consoles go, you'd more than likely not be effected by this, not unless you intend to use the console as a UHD and or HD Blu-ray disc spinner as well as a games console?

Yeah you're right, DTS X isn't supported on LG but Dolby HD and Atmos are. I'm not sure how many films only supported by DTS X? I'm new to most of these formats, as been using Dolby Digital all these years.

And yes I'm using PS5 for playing my Blu-ray movies, don't want to have a seperate device for movies but will consider it if it's going to be a major problem. Or I'll just switch HDMI cables on PS5 when needs be as I only watch one film a week, I mainly game in my spare time

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom