1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Reader's Favourite: REL Q100e

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MyMateJohn, May 4, 2002.

1. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right then, very simply what is a reasonably good price to pay for this little black box of joy? I have found one for £100, should I be suspicious -- Are there any known issues with second-hand Q100e's?

Thanks and that.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that you should be very suspicious. Give me the chap's telephone number and I will check it out for you.

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    £300 seems to be the going rate for one in good condition (no technical problems, no obvious marks). For £100 I'd want to see it and listen to it working before I parted with the cash.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, Valiant attempt Ian.

P.s. Arsenal c'est superb.

5. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, just messing :p . Seriously though, what questions would you ask him if you were in my position? What checks would you perform on the subwoofer when you visit it? Having never listened to the Q100e, and by going on the HCC review alone, how will I tell if there is something fishy about the subwoofer?

TIA

6. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume this is the one on loot. I spoke to the guy selling it and he says it's got no box, manual or high-level cable. Plus a couple of big scratches. Says he obtained it through his job in the hifi industry.

If it was in good working order then it's a good discount for a couple of inconveniences, but what concerns me is the possibility of it being stolen.

They seem a bit hard to come by, I've certainely seen some advertised for more than £300. Would it be worth considering a higher model but from an earlier series e.g. Storm II or Stadium I?

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Q100 is an excellent subwoofer (uncle eric swears by it) and just listening to it will tell you if there is anything wrong. You don't need a box, manual or high level connector as REL will email you a manual and you can buy high level connectors although you probably won't want one.

The going rate is £300 and if you can buy at £100 if anything goes wrong I'm sure that it won't cost £200 to repair so you will still be in pocket.

Mind you it's probably gone by now anyway.

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    6 months or so I was offered £250 for mine as part exchange, which I would guess would then be re-sold for about £300 or so !

At £100 I would be suspiscious