• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Forum noob - 4K TV as PC monitor?

Le Skid

Novice Member
Hi all
I've been working for 5-6 years with a 37" samsung 1080P TV as my monitor and love it. If I had a slightly larger 4K monitor, I'd be able to have more windows open simultaneously in crystal-clear, perfect resolution.

I have a pretty strong quad-core win 7 X64 PC running an Nvidia geforce 960, which supposedly does 4K resolution but I can't find anything beyond 1920*1080 in its list of available resolutions. I've been reading-up and I'm worried.

To run @ 4K, I apparently need HDMI 2.0..... If my video card is supposed to support 4K, do I need anything else besides a 4K monitor? Will my current HDMI cable(s) work?

In case it's of relevance, my PC is on the other side of the room, with around 30' of HDMI to make it around to my desk / monitor.

Thanks to all

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I'd upgrade to a 980. A 960 is an average card at best and not really suited to 4k.

Current HDMI will work just fine.

30' of HDMI isn't great...and that's some sized room!

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
4K at 50/60FPS and 39' you could well have cable problems.
The only way to find out is to try with your existing cable.
There are three speed grades of HDMI cables - Standard, High and Premium. Ignore anything about HDMI versions on cables , hdmi.org specifies that cables are categorised by these speed grades (http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/).
Premium cables are new so may be difficult to find.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom