Forum members open day part 2

I haven't, but I've followed the threads long enough to know he loves to tinker. But seriously, what on earth can be upgraded?

Indeed.
You want a list? 😜

Nah, I reckon you've convinced yourself there's nothing else to upgrade, but then you'll be bored in a month and your mind will start wandering :)

At least, I hope you haven't got a list :)
Well I have, of sorts…..

- auto electric masking screen would be nice, but that would involve having to get new material again.

- new Zappiti out soon, once reviews drop and firmware bugs are ironed out I’ll probably change just so the interface is quicker

- new jvc laser projector is a possibility, although after speaking with @Baggy yesterday who owns a Z1, he felt the image quality was very similar to my Sony

Last edited:
Well I have, of sorts…..

- auto electric masking screen would be nice, but that would involve having to get new material again.
Ok, that would be a really nice upgrade.

- new Zappiti out soon, once reviews drop and firmware bugs are ironed out I’ll probably change just so the interface is quicker
Yeah, fair enough. Fast interface is good.

- new jvc laser projector is a possibility
Oh you should definitely upgrade your projector. Everyone's been saying how lovely the hospitality was, but how the picture was verging on unwatchable :laugh:

although after speaking with @Baggy yesterday who owns a Z1, he felt the image quality was very similar
Never ever ask anyone else. Baggy is your friend!

Well I have, of sorts…..

1st dibs please.

I’ve been listening to some of the tracks from yesterday…
I’m only 5.1 so clearly I haven’t got an alien running around my ceiling or any other height.
From a few things that struck me, the pasta bubbling in Blade Runner is nowhere near as good, I really did love that bubbling away.
Fury I don’t get something rattling/vibrating in the tank just before attack.
I was still very happy with my sound although it obviously can’t compare.
Just caught up on the build thread, I was stuck in early 2020, I thought you were using Emotivas for amps yesterday 🤦‍♀️

I’ve been listening to some of the tracks from yesterday…
I’m only 5.1 so clearly I haven’t got an alien running around my ceiling or any other height.
From a few things that struck me, the pasta bubbling in Blade Runner is nowhere near as good, I really did love that bubbling away.
Fury I don’t get something rattling/vibrating in the tank just before attack.
I was still very happy with my sound although it obviously can’t compare.
Just caught up on the build thread, I was stuck in early 2020, I thought you were using Emotivas for amps yesterday 🤦‍♀️
Lots of changes since then 😂

Well I have, of sorts…..

- new jvc laser projector is a possibility, although after speaking with @Baggy yesterday who owns a Z1, he felt the image quality was very similar to my Sony

I'll keep an eye on the classifieds lol

Of course @Apollo will win any race.
I just ordered the UHD friendly drive, so will see how I get on with that and storage !

The weave COULD be seen, but only on very select scenes where there was panning involved, but 99% of the time it was invisible.

The V7 is noticeably sharper though, so if you have a true 4k projector, the sharpness does make a significant difference even at further viewing distances.

Thanks Mark for letting me know. Just to clarify two things. Would I be right to think that you meant that only on some specific panning shots the weave could be seen rather than on all of panning shots?

Your eye to screen distance must be greater than 6ft?

Thanks

Thanks Mark for letting me know. Just to clarify two things. Would I be right to think that you meant that only on some specific panning shots the weave could be seen rather than on all of panning shots?

Your eye to screen distance must be greater than 6ft?

Thanks
yes, only on a very few scenes - for example the start of BR2049 is one when J lands and the smoke is billowing across the landscape.

I sit 2.75m away.

The UF is very good material, in fact, its excellent. But the V7 is significantly better, its as close as a Non-AT screen as you can get.

Which one did you get? How do you plan to store rips?
Hitachi LG-BH16NS40 Cross-flashed to a WH16NS60 on firmware 1-00DE fitted with a OWC Mercury Pro 5.25”

Ive got a mismatch of NAS drives, very badly organised…will look up model numbers when home.

yes, only on a very few scenes - for example the start of BR2049 is one when J lands and the smoke is billowing across the landscape.

I sit 2.75m away.

The UF is very good material, in fact, its excellent. But the V7 is significantly better, its as close as a Non-AT screen as you can get.

Thanks Mark.

One more :D

I have looked at V7 details and something that caught my eye was info about blooming of lit objects (or rather lack of it in case of v7) on dark background when screens have black backing which is not bonded but loose.

They give the following description to this phenomena:

Example of how blooming appears on typical highly lit objects towards a dark background. Even the slightest distance between the reflective layer and the black backing might introduce this issue. The UltraWeave is perfectly factory bonded and will never produce this artefact on its own merit.

As pictured:

I am bringing it up because if I would be going UF I will be ordering it with black backing layer which I believe is a loose layer and my question is if yours also had the black layer and have you ever experienced the blooming. Or is it one of those cases when one only notices retrospectively when one upgrades to a better option like V7 and suddenly realizes that the issue is no longer present with a better screen?

Last edited:
Hitachi LG-BH16NS40 Cross-flashed to a WH16NS60 on firmware 1-00DE fitted with a OWC Mercury Pro 5.25”

Ive got a mismatch of NAS drives, very badly organised…will look up model numbers when home.
Thanks. No need to check the models of NAS drives. I was wondering about general setup you are planning to use. So you are not aiming for Libra Mode with MakeMKV (I think it is not Libra firmware)?

Seller just told me it is libradrive enabled
Thanks. No need to check the models of NAS drives. I was wondering about general setup you are planning to use. So you are not aiming for Libra Mode with MakeMKV (I think it is not Libra firmware)?

Do you plan to rip to mkv or ISO or BD folder structure?
It’s all new to me so will try MKV 1st, but I guess I want it like the blu or 4k disc.
Drive should arrive on Friday

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom