Forum members open day part 2

sebna

It’s all new to me so will try MKV 1st, but I guess I want it like the blu or 4k disc.
Drive should arrive on Friday

I prefer MKV. It saves space and time. Once while riping discs faster and 2nd time when you want to watch something and you do not have to go through menus, jingles, ads, you name it :)

But what really dictates the format you want to rip to is your player(s). As some will work with MKV, others with ISO and different ones with folder structure etc. Additional aspect is planning ahead. As today you may be using player X but if you are thinking about switching and player Y supports different format than maybe it is better to do it all in one go rather then re-ripping all / part of your library at later stage :)

I plan to use MadVR for a foreseeable future so MKV was a simple choice for me. It does everything in one container including my beloved 3D and I also dont like menus (and mostly dont care about extras), so it was a win-win for me.

Last edited:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I prefer MKV. It saves space and time. Once while riping discs faster and 2nd time when you want to watch something and you do not have to go through menus, jingles, ads, you name it :)

But what really dictates the format you want to rip to is your player(s). As some will work with MKV, others with ISO and different ones with folder structure etc. Additional aspect is planning ahead. As today you may be using player X but if you are thinking about switching and player Y supports different format than maybe it is better to do it all in one go rather then re-ripping all / part of your library at later stage :)

I plan to use MadVR for a foreseeable future so MKV was a simple choice for me. It does everything in one container including my beloved 3D and I also dont like menus (and mostly dont care about extras), so it was a win-win for me.
Even with full iso rips you don’t have to worry about menus and adverts, etc on the Zappiti unless of course you want to.

I rip both ways, iso through my nasrip and mkv.

sebna

Even with full iso rips you don’t have to worry about menus and adverts, etc on the Zappiti unless of course you want to.

I rip both ways, iso through my nasrip and mkv.
Good to know. If I would have Lumagen in the chain to handle HDR mapping, I have a feeling that, Zapitti would be my player of choice.

There is also a 3rd party firmware for current gen Panasonic BDPs which allows to skip through otherwise un-skippable content (like legal warnings, ads, studio intros etc.). Although it is not the same as just firing the movie straight away, avaliable with MKVs and ISO + Zappiti.

Am I right that current gen Zappiti will only play 4k HDR content from full ISO rips?

oaklandraiders

Zappiti is what I plan to use, in the mean time will try playback via Oppo 203 as I use a memory stick for demo files.
Might try some of the apps on Roku or ATV

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Am I right that current gen Zappiti will only play 4k HDR content from full ISO rips?
No, plays them fine in mkv, all of my demos on Saturday were in this format.

steelman1991

Zappiti is what I plan to use, in the mean time will try playback via Oppo 203 as I use a memory stick for demo files.
Might try some of the apps on Roku or ATV
Unless you want the "eye-candy" of a poster wall and are a happy playing from a file list, I'd be inclined to stick with mkv and play from the Oppo. Rip to ISO or folder structure and IIRC you can also get full Dolby Vision playback from the Oppo as well.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Unless you want the "eye-candy" of a poster wall and are a happy playing from a file list, I'd be inclined to stick with mkv and play from the Oppo. Rip to ISO or folder structure and IIRC you can also get full Dolby Vision playback from the Oppo as well.
Whilst I would agree, a few caveats need to be considered.

If you are comparing the oppo to the Audiocom Zappiti, the zappiti is a better player for both video and audio (I sold my 203 because of this), I would say the 203 is on par with the Zappiti Pro. The one SE and mini aren't as good as the 203.

Depending the the size of your collection, running through a list of files to find a film isn't overly appealing. If just starting out, then yes this isn't an issue, but my collection is now around 1000 films, finding one to watch takes seconds on the zap.

The movie wall is pretty cool as well. I'd imagine that this will be improved further once they get the new chips on the new machines.

Outside of these points, then yes, you may as well stick with the Oppo.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Part of my logic... Oppo is a crazy price 2nd hand and that goes a long way towards Zappiti cost.
Especially if you manage to get a second hand Audiocom Edition 😜

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
this is going to sound so lame but i actually had a dream Mark became my neighbour and i was able to go to his demo/show day and then i invited my dad around which convinced him to help me go all-out in my third room to make it an insane dedicated home cinema space.

god i need to get a girlfriend

mb3195

Distinguished Member
this is going to sound so lame but i actually had a dream Mark became my neighbour and i was able to go to his demo/show day and then i invited my dad around which convinced him to help me go all-out in my third room to make it an insane dedicated home cinema space.

Where is the weirdo emoji when you need one? 😂😂😂

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Where is the weirdo emoji when you need one? 😂😂😂

Haha. My room treatment plans have come to a roadblock because I'm getting opposition to MVEL22 curtains as people think they're ugly and serve no purpose. A trip to your room I'm sure would have convinced them the other way.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Haha. My room treatment plans have come to a roadblock because I'm getting opposition to MVEL22 curtains as people think they're ugly and serve no purpose. A trip to your room I'm sure would have convinced them the other way.
This is how much difference they make….

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
This is how much difference they make….

Yup.. finding someone to make the curtains has been even more of a pain TBH. Getting quotes for the length /ehight I need of £500-£1000!

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member

That ain’t lame, that’s the creepiest thing I’ve read on these forums!

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Haha. My room treatment plans have come to a roadblock because I'm getting opposition to MVEL22 curtains as people think they're ugly and serve no purpose.

Well I'm not sure they're pretty, but you're not talking about a dedicated room are you? Assuming not, their are other ways to achieve the results you want without going full black.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Well I'm not sure they're pretty, but you're not talking about a dedicated room are you? Assuming not, their are other ways to achieve the results you want without going full black.

Its dedicated but I still want it to look nice-ish. I think MVEL22 curtains would look lovely TBH.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Its dedicated but I still want it to look nice-ish. I think MVEL22 curtains would look lovely TBH.
If it's dedicated, just do it and don't worry what others think. I know you've got good taste (seen your threads) so I'm sure you'll make it good. Although in a dedicated room I personally wouldn't go for curtains anywhere except as masking (no offense meant to Mark)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
If it's dedicated, just do it and don't worry what others think. I know you've got good taste (seen your threads) so I'm sure you'll make it good. Although in a dedicated room I personally wouldn't go for curtains anywhere except as masking (no offense meant to Mark)

Thanks mate.. I just love the concept of curtains because it means the walls can be non-treated, I can hang photos, mirrors etc. and then when its movie time, can pull them and all of a sudden I have reference level room treatment.

The issue is I am not DIY inclined at all.. so my dad holds all the keys as his skills allow me to do things I'd otherwise have to pay someone to do haha

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate.. I just love the concept of curtains because it means the walls can be non-treated, I can hang photos, mirrors etc. and then when its movie time, can pull them and all of a sudden I have reference level room treatment.
That's cool, but if you're looking at photos and mirrors, surely it's not a dedicated room?

The issue is I am not DIY inclined at all.. so my dad holds all the keys as his skills allow me to do things I'd otherwise have to pay someone to do haha
That's fantastic - Mark's dad was a big help with building his cinema. But I don't see how that's an issue. Make your decision on what you want, sound confident and tell your dad to trust you, and surely he'll help with what you've decided (this is your home, not his right)?

Anyway, I'll shut up now as this is Mark's thread.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
That's cool, but if you're looking at photos and mirrors, surely it's not a dedicated room?

That's fantastic - Mark's dad was a big help with building his cinema. But I don't see how that's an issue. Make your decision on what you want, sound confident and tell your dad to trust you, and surely he'll help with what you've decided (this is your home, not his right)?

Anyway, I'll shut up now as this is Mark's thread.

If you look at Mark's room. he's able to hang photos and posters in his room despite his room being a reference level room because he can cover the posters etc. with the MVEL22 curtains.

Therefore the curtains attain a reference level room treatment for light reflections AND allow him to still decorate the walls as he pleases. Its kind of genius lol.

I'd personally rather have a pair of MVEL22 curtaisn I draw and allow a room to have an injection of personality than not.

Haha triggaar... thanks for the advice.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR