Forum members open day part 2

oaklandraiders

Thanks to the following for coming, long day and a long way for some, so hope you all got back ok.

@IWC Dopplel
@Jenz
@Baggy
@oaklandraiders
@aliencinema
@DpM
@upgradeitis
@Superhans
@monkeyboy69

Big thanks to @Apollo for helping out also 👍🏻
I don’t tend to gush….
But today was a stunning day, I wasn’t sure what to expect, the shed was bigger than expected and looked great as did the kitchen !
Inside the shed you’re transferred away to another place, I doubt I’ll ever go in a better room.
Fury and John Wick 2 were amazing and my dream demo Dolby Atmos Amaze demo was everything I thought Atmos would be, the rain is falling on the roof of the building.
Great to meet anyone and Mark is a better host than his shed.

monkeyboy69

I can only echo what others have already said, great day, great people and good sounds. I could of gladly listened to many more film snippets

mark generously hosted a great event and I’m keen to follow his future upgrade route.

Baggy

Mark many thanks for hosting yesterday’s meeting.
I was truly very impressed with what you’ve achieved in your shed.
Your attention to detail is amazing.
Great to meet and discuss home cinema with like minded folk.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Mark, another great day. Thanks again for all the effort and hospitality, the whole set up was noticably better than last year, I really liked the veranda and paving around the house, a really nice addition. Do thank your good lady for tolerating the invasion too.

I was thinking about the changes from memory of the last visit. Do please accept this can only be impression based and it is probably tainted by your reference points changing as your own system improves. But the Stand out things for me were :

Bass - The bass had a visceral ability to provide weight and scale without bloom and overhang and that's tricky, as a lot of subs as we all know are not adequately controlled or timed and the smearing is obvious. Not so here. It wasn't just about the gun shots which were amazing (especially John Wick as noted !) it was about some of the weight added to the guitar and voices that just added scale, this is where a lot of system can disappoint as they either sound lean and thin or heavy and slow

Voices and Projection - I was very impressed by the voicing and balance. So often I notice how recessed and flat the voices are and somehow you dont seem as involved as you want to be. This has definitely improved markedly and I do think sensitive horn loaded speakers are possibly part fo the upgrade here. I was also impressed by the JBL's as they managed to avoid the challenge that comes with horn loading - that PA beaming and that was not apparent, which is impressive given how close you sit.

Immersion and steering - This has always been first rate, this for me is where the Trinnov excels, it has the ability to do place sounds with direction and depth. The soundfield easily goes beyond the size of the room and it does it with a great deal of finesse and seeming ease.

Resolution - I do think the resolution and ability to provide clarity on small background sounds without lifting the higher levels is the test of a good system (some set ups just exaggerate here and sound bright and overly etched, with the belief its 'accurate'). I was glad to notice small details clearly without exaggeration.

So what's next o_O I cant think of anything

Owl40

I was gutted to miss the open day. A positive covid test in the house put paid to my attendance.

Great to read everyone’s’ impressions of the continual improvements to Mark’s system. I can’t wait to hear the changes for myself once I can get back out again. I would be interested to hear anyone’s views on the dreamscreen material? I’m weighing up the options of new screen and PJ and the dreamscreen is an option.

It sounds like the JBLs are doing the business in terms of dynamics and clarity.

Baggy

I was gutted to miss the open day. A positive covid test in the house put paid to my attendance.

Great to read everyone’s’ impressions of the continual improvements to Mark’s system. I can’t wait to hear the changes for myself once I can get back out again. I would be interested to hear anyone’s views on the dreamscreen material? I’m weighing up the options of new screen and PJ and the dreamscreen is an option.

It sounds like the JBLs are doing the business in terms of dynamics and clarity.
One of the things I was most interested on the day was to view Mark’s dreamscreen.
I have a Seymour screen and have also been considering replacing the material with the V7 material.
Forget my reading glasses so couldn’t view up close but from the seated viewing distance thought the lack of weave was an improvement.
The V7 material is supposed to be brighter but not something I could comment on as it was my first visit.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Just walked in the door. A huge thanks to Mark and his family for hosting us, it was an amazing experience and some lovely grub.
Thanks to everyone who has given me advice today, it was really appreciated and was nice to meet so many top people.

I had high hopes of seeing what can be achieved at home and I can honestly say those hopes were blown out of the water.
The demos were amazing, sound and picture quality were Incredible, the earthquake also added another dimension. It has given me a real thirst for getting on with my own room ASAP.

Bravo Mark that's a real special room you have there.

Thanks again 👍🏼

I don’t tend to gush….
But today was a stunning day, I wasn’t sure what to expect, the shed was bigger than expected and looked great as did the kitchen !
Inside the shed you’re transferred away to another place, I doubt I’ll ever go in a better room.
Fury and John Wick 2 were amazing and my dream demo Dolby Atmos Amaze demo was everything I thought Atmos would be, the rain is falling on the roof of the building.
Great to meet anyone and Mark is a better host than his shed.
Thanks for the comments guys, you two were like two kids in a candy shop, I was starting to run out of demo material to show you both 😂😂😂

Praetorpwj

Great thanks to Mark for his generous hosting and an opportunity to visit a very pretty part of the country I rarely get the chance to see. It was also lovely to meet so many wonderful members of the community.

I came to see how far a combination of passion and cutting edge tech can take you and I came away inspired to start my own dedicated room journey.

Having read the build thread I was aware of the basic dimensions but there is an distinct TARDIS quality when you step inside. It is extremely dark and stepping in from the light you can make out little more than chairs and screen at first which of course is all you really need be aware of. The room becomes considerably larger when the demos start.

I was particularly curious as to how a 9.4.6 system would work in the space in terms of localisation but even when I was sat to the side I felt centred in the middle of a sound field where a number of things appeared to be happening some distance away. I'd forgotten about the seat rumblers and that really caught me by surprise!

I was impressed by the choice of demos grouped into five clips of about five minutes each. I was rather expecting a series of overwhelming mega complex action scenes and there were a couple of those like Ready Player One and Fury, but also some very subtle choices showcasing the system's ability to reproduce intimate fragile sound fields such as Quiet Place (nail scene).

I was as interested in the picture as much as the sound as hadn't seen a laser projector before especially one calibrated with the new Lumagen. I understand now why people talk about the stability of a laser image and the motion was much better than my old JVC even in very dark scenes like the Matrix Revolutions. Colour was striking and vivid especially on the Kong v Godzilla clip. There was a real depth to the image which was occasionally uncomfortable such as close ups of bodies at the start of Sicario. Some scenes were a little darker than I was used to but you could see the Lumagen working hard at the shadow detail.

I stayed for two demo reels and would happily have carried on to a third as I had missed the reel with Doctor Sleep and Interstellar but unfortunately I had a long journey back and anyway it is a show business maxim to be left wanting more.

I would encourage any member to take the opportunity should Mark be generous enough to host in the future.

drillo

For those of us living with deep regret because we weren’t able to make it for one reason or another, these reports ain’t helping!!!

Actually, it’s awesome to read the impressions because there is a wealth of knowledge and experience amongst the attendees and whilst it’s not remotely the same as attending, You guys are painting quite the picture and for a contingent that aren’t easily impressed - these are stirring reviews.

So while I was sorry not to be able to go, my thanks to Mark for the invite and making it happen nonetheless.

Apollo

One of the things I was most interested on the day was to view Mark’s dreamscreen.
I have a Seymour screen and have also been considering replacing the material with the V7 material.
Forget my reading glasses so couldn’t view up close but from the seated viewing distance thought the lack of weave was an improvement.
The V7 material is supposed to be brighter but not something I could comment on as it was my first visit.
Definite improvement with the change from Seymour UF to V7 in brightness and image ‘solidity’. I can well believe the claims of 0.93 gain compared to only 0.8 with the UF he had (and I still have). It is easily equally as bright with the Sony laser level turned down from 100 max with the UF to level 80 now.

On my list as future upgrade and would go with the V7 without hesitation if I were ordering a new screen 👍

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Hi Mark - what's your current seating distance (or, more specifically, screen to eyes)?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Oh, from what distance? I thought it cannot be seen from further than 9ft (according to their advertising).

"The ultra-fine weave allows you to sit inches from the screen if you desire while still having the sound quality Center Stage screens are renowned for."

Although it says that, it also goes on to say min seating = 6' (it's probably just weird being closer to a projector screen).

Center Stage XD1.21.0yes (-1.4dB)darkno10 ft
Center Stage UF1.00.8yes (-2.2dB)darkno6 ft

Last edited:

sebna

"The ultra-fine weave allows you to sit inches from the screen if you desire while still having the sound quality Center Stage screens are renowned for."
So what are you trying to say?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
So what are you trying to say?
Er, you asked if you could you see the texture of UF from where Mark's seats are, and I said no. You asked at what distance you couldn't see the texture from, saying that Seymour said it was 9', but that's not correct, so I posted a link to their site and quoted them saying you can't see the texture even when a few inches from the screen.

sebna

Er, you asked if you could you see the texture of UF from where Mark's seats are, and I said no. You asked at what distance you couldn't see the texture from, saying that Seymour said it was 9', but that's not correct, so I posted a link to their site and quoted them saying you can't see the texture even when a few inches from the screen.
Ah yeah it was 6ft not 9. Mixed it up. And I read your original answer that you "can" rather than "can't" see the texture. Thanks for clarifying and sorry Mark for OT.

mb3195

Distinguished Member

Ah yeah it was 6ft not 9. Mixed it up. And I read your original answer that you "can" rather than "can't" see the texture. Thanks for clarifying and sorry Mark for OT.
The weave COULD be seen, but only on very select scenes where there was panning involved, but 99% of the time it was invisible.

The V7 is noticeably sharper though, so if you have a true 4k projector, the sharpness does make a significant difference even at further viewing distances.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
You said it couldn't :p
I did, because 99% of the time it couldn’t be seen.

When I made the statement its because I hadn’t seen that 1%

DpM

I was contemplating reading up on squatters rights when I was left alone the last time in the room 🤣
Unfortunately I couldn't take my eyes off the screen to look at my phone.

monkeyboy69

Upgrade route? What would you say was lacking the most? The entry level projector, video processor, AV processor and amp, or speakers?

;)
If youve met Mark, you’ll understand that this is an ever evolving project.... although personally I think it doesn’t need touching. I could of stayed there a lot longer.

mark , if you go on holiday I’ll happily house sit for you

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR