Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Forum contact for SPL meter ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ray, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I know I have come across threads before which recommended getting a reasonably cheap SPL meter from a partricular forum member/sponsor. Well I've been searching for ages now and just cannot find a reference to him (probably not using quite the right search term).

Does anyone have a name/contact for this guy before I turn to Keene electronics ?

Thanks

Ray

2. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers - that's exactly the thread and name I was looking for. Why couldn't I find it !

Thanks

Ray :thumbsup:

4. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had been meaning to get one of these for ages. Ordered yest, arrived today.

Fish

5. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wannabe-THX :hiya:

Also a RTA real time analyzer will be needed to set-up the home cinema; if your AV receiver has pre-outputs on it use them. :thumbsup:

Along with five stereo amplifiers and graphic equalizers for the left centre right Sub bass LFE side surrounds and centre back surround, and; if you what to install upper centre channel using a simple Dolby pro-logic processor and re-plugging the front main?

This is very simple and very effective too sending sound information from the phantom main and sending to another centre channel placed above the existing one; as used in IMAX cinemas the voice of god? :thumbsup:

So there are lots of ways to add on and maximise the home cinemas performance; if some of that was just a little too much for taking please send reply… :)

For one using the RTA and a microphone; therefore you will see what’s called the room modes and the SPL meter will not show that information; so use the SPL and a RTA go for it and good luck to you… :thumbsup:

Former cinema projectionist. :)

Ashley…

6. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ashley, not really sure what you're going on about. If I was setting up a proper cinema, instead of a little home setup, I would get these items, but I I am not I think I will pass.

Thanks
    Fish

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Fish,

Ashley's reply has gone over my head! A cheap SPL meter will get your speakers' levels more or less right. RTA (real time analyser) takes the calibration process up several gears - sorts out the effects that the room is having on the sound quality - and the SPL meter in my analyser is a tad more accurate than in a 30 quid meter! Not knocking a 30 quid meter, they do the business, but a 2,000 quid one just does it better!