1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum contact for SPL meter ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ray, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I know I have come across threads before which recommended getting a reasonably cheap SPL meter from a partricular forum member/sponsor. Well I've been searching for ages now and just cannot find a reference to him (probably not using quite the right search term).

Does anyone have a name/contact for this guy before I turn to Keene electronics ?

Thanks

Ray

2. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers - that's exactly the thread and name I was looking for. Why couldn't I find it !

Thanks

Ray :thumbsup:

4. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had been meaning to get one of these for ages. Ordered yest, arrived today.

Fish

5. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wannabe-THX :hiya:

Also a RTA real time analyzer will be needed to set-up the home cinema; if your AV receiver has pre-outputs on it use them. :thumbsup:

Along with five stereo amplifiers and graphic equalizers for the left centre right Sub bass LFE side surrounds and centre back surround, and; if you what to install upper centre channel using a simple Dolby pro-logic processor and re-plugging the front main?

This is very simple and very effective too sending sound information from the phantom main and sending to another centre channel placed above the existing one; as used in IMAX cinemas the voice of god? :thumbsup:

So there are lots of ways to add on and maximise the home cinemas performance; if some of that was just a little too much for taking please send reply… :)

For one using the RTA and a microphone; therefore you will see what’s called the room modes and the SPL meter will not show that information; so use the SPL and a RTA go for it and good luck to you… :thumbsup:

Former cinema projectionist. :)

Ashley…

6. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ashley, not really sure what you're going on about. If I was setting up a proper cinema, instead of a little home setup, I would get these items, but I I am not I think I will pass.

Thanks
    Fish

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Fish,

Ashley's reply has gone over my head! A cheap SPL meter will get your speakers' levels more or less right. RTA (real time analyser) takes the calibration process up several gears - sorts out the effects that the room is having on the sound quality - and the SPL meter in my analyser is a tad more accurate than in a 30 quid meter! Not knocking a 30 quid meter, they do the business, but a 2,000 quid one just does it better!